PDA

View Full Version : RB-Connect NDI Adapter for Apple iOS / Compatible to Newtek and Sienna iOS

rebotnix
03-09-2017, 11:41 AM
Guys, im so impressed about the NDI technology, really!

We created an special version for our ethernet iOS adapter that supports now NDI. This version allows to work in flightmode. The adapter do not require external power. Charging the device will work over lightning as well later over POE (power over ethernet).

I tested the NDI iOS Application from Newtek as well Siennas iOS NDI App. In high quality, Newteks seems to run better over cable then Siennas.

My test setup was:
1) iOS iPhone 6s
2) Our RB-Connect Adapter (NDI) Version
3) Newtek iOS App on iPhone 6s
4) Newtek Transmit on PC / Windows
5) Open Broadcaster (64 Bit) Encoder for signal-routing
6) Streaming to Onlinelib Okeanos CDN (Content Delivery Network) for Low Latency Live Streaming

I record a first video about my test setup:
https://rebotnix.com/ndi/

I will test soon over IPLS line, satellite as well sim- celluar bonding NDI.

Gary
https://rebotnix.com

RB-Connect NDI

kanep
03-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Looks like a cool add-on for iOS devices. You should tweet this with the hash tag of #NDICentral

rebotnix
03-10-2017, 02:38 AM
i will to this,thanks.

We are also thinking now about an modular camera sensor to NDI interface. So the idea is to have an mother board and on top an camera addon that you can switch easily as needed. We do not have then to buy transceiver SDI or HDMI chipset, which can make the whole system very cheap and modular.

For this we need an way to have native ARM libs, but this is maybe an post for the developer zone.

Looks like a cool add-on for iOS devices. You should tweet this with the hash tag of #NDICentral

Gary

RB-Connect NDI

livepad
03-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Guys, im so impressed about the NDI technology, really!

We created an special version for our ethernet iOS adapter that supports now NDI. This version allows to work in flightmode. The adapter do not require external power. Charging the device will work over lightning as well later over POE (power over ethernet).

I tested the NDI iOS Application from Newtek as well Siennas iOS NDI App. In high quality, Newteks seems to run better over cable then Siennas.

My test setup was:
1) iOS iPhone 6s
2) Our RB-Connect Adapter (NDI) Version
3) Newtek iOS App on iPhone 6s
4) Newtek Transmit on PC / Windows
5) Open Broadcaster (64 Bit) Encoder for signal-routing
6) Streaming to Onlinelib Okeanos CDN (Content Delivery Network) for Low Latency Live Streaming

I record a first video about my test setup:

I will test soon over IPLS line, satellite as well sim- celluar bonding NDI.

Gary

RB-Connect NDI
https://rebotnix.coms/ndi/
When testing it is important to remember that Sienna NDICam is 1080 in High quality mode whilst Newtek NDI Camera is 720, so you should probably run NDICam in medium quality mode for a realistic comparison

rebotnix
03-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Thanks for letting me know livepad, i will investigate more. It was only a first test in 30 minutes and i was impressed that it works so easily.

Is your quality settings quality vs speed resolution only, or also something like encoding bitrate?

When i use the high mode in your app, is it 1080p30?

Can you get in your iphone 6s (or other devices) this resolution smooth transmit?

Is there a way to get debug information about the quality of the stream like reso.,fps,bitrate?

Thanks a lot.

livepad
03-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Thanks for letting me know livepad, i will investigate more. It was only a first test in 30 minutes and i was impressed that it works so easily.

Is your quality settings quality vs speed resolution only, or also something like encoding bitrate?

When i use the high mode in your app, is it 1080p30?

Can you get in your iphone 6s (or other devices) this resolution smooth transmit?

Is there a way to get debug information about the quality of the stream like reso.,fps,bitrate?

Thanks a lot.

The quality setting purely scales the source image size before encoding with NDI

The Highest quality setting uses the native resolution of the selected camera which is generally 1920x1080 for the front camera and 1280x720 for the screen side camera - however this may may from phone to phone. The refresh rate is 30 fps and it is progressive scan.

You can enable a frame rate monitor on the phone side by renaming the "NDI Name" setting so it includes "ZZZ" - so for example "NDICamZZZ" - you will then see a frame rate indicator in the main screen. The bitrate will be largely determined by the image size and complexity.

Depending on the iPhone in use, some can encode 1080 to NDI at full rate, and in this case the network speed could be a bottleneck. With older phones, the CPU isn't fast enough to encode 1080 NDI and the network speed may not be a limit anyway.

livepad
03-11-2017, 05:37 AM
Hi Folks.

In order to add some more info to this topic, we just did a bit of testing with Sienna NDICam running on an iPad Pro 12", an iPhone 7plus and an iPhone 5S using the more traditional method of attaching wired ethernet to iOS devices (Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera connection kit and Linksys USB3Gig USB3 to Gigabit adaptor, with lightning power supply connected to the adaptor), since we don't yet have the new RB-Connect NDI box.

In this configuration in best quality mode we get smooth 1920x1080 at 30FPS from iPhone 7 plus, 24 FPS from the iPad Pro and up to 13FPS on the iPhone 5S, and showing the same frame rate in the Mac NDI Monitor app (View menu - Display frame rate). The iPad Pro and iPhone 5S can also achieve 30 FPS in the medium quality mode in NDICam.

Interestingly the iPhone 7 plus can deliver more or less 30FPS via WIFI too, but it's sometimes not quite so smooth (depending on how clean your WIFI network is) - since the network is glitching a bit on the WIFI - so a wired connection really can make a big difference to the overall results.

Note that in cases like the iPhone 5S, its the CPU which is the bottleneck for 1080 full HD, not the network, so using a wired network can make things a little smoother but may not improve the frame rate. Ultimately it will take some ARM-based optimisation of the NDI encoder to change things here - something which is certainly possible (the X86 NDI encoder is *highly* optimised for the hardware whereas the ARM encoders are not currently).

This particular combination of adaptors (apple lightning USB3 camera connector and Linksys USB3Gig) can run into the 'takes too much power' message on some iOS devices, but enabling 'Airplane' mode in iOS is often the key to getting iOS to accept the connected devices without complaining. Sometimes you may have to connect them one at a time.

Given the form factor and 1-box solution, I am enthusiastic about seeing the RBConnect device in action - we would expect to see the same type of performance, but with a simpler set of cables and adaptors, although realistically you will still mostly want to run with power connected to the adaptor - since these camera apps are very thirsty on battery.

All in all, simple options for adding a wired connection to NDICam really opens up its potential for serious use and we look forward to hearing from users working their way through this new approach.

On a related note we have added a mode to the next version of NDICam to link directly into our NDI.Cloud system - which will allow you to be out in the field on 4G and to push high quality, low latency H264 into NDI.Cloud and have it pop out in your facility as native NDI. We hope to release this to NDI.Cloud beta testers in the near future.

Hope all this info helps people to experiment with these new workflows - it can be quite surprising to learn just how good a camera like iPhone 7Plus is, particularly when its hooked directly into your NDI workflow. Credit to Rebotnix for creating a device to make this even simpler to implement.

PIZAZZ
03-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Great information all around. Fun times in the NDI world.

rebotnix
03-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Great updates here!

@Livepad:

Yes, there are several ways to use none Apple MFI certified components to get the results.

RB-Connect consumes 85mA, where components like Linksys USB3Gig consumes >250mA and it extends a lot when you use LAN cable length >5 meters.

Thats why you see a warning message when you connect adapters like Linksys USB3Gig to your iOS Devices - from the Apple OS (Operating System) that this device consumes too much power and apple complete switch off these kind of devices at the same moment to protect the iPhone / iPad.

You can then add external power, but all none low power modules components like the Ethernet Adapter + as well the iPhone Camera Application getting very hot as LivePad is right that camera capturing over CPU requires a lot of battery power. In our labs we measure that the power consuming in this kind of none original Application is so high that the external power adapter is mostly not able to charge our iPhone. This can reduce the lifetime of your phone battery extreme.

One of the reason why we create the RB-Connect in aluminium is not that it looks nicer, we choose a 2mm wall-thickness cause when you convert 48volt to 5 volt with POE, you have a not of warming cause the power transformation.

We will make soon a lot of more test including SimCard Bonding which is currently under development.

I want to see how we can use all NDI-Cam apps on iPhone vs. Android and how we can transmit livessginals out of the car over NDI to facebook,twitch and youtube as well on own servers at the same time.

Happy new NDI times.