PDA

View Full Version : Locked in Discovery Mode, no Lock ID.

imshadi
03-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Please, help! Lightwave has suddenly started running in Discovery Mode, and the Splash Screen at the beginning does not show the lock ID (only a long code). Dropping the license on it says it's been added to the configuration but I restart modeler and still get discovery mode when I come back.

Has this happened to anyone? I read it's not possible that the splash screen doesn't show a lock ID....!

This is windows 10 btw.

Asticles
03-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Disable firewall, if you have one.

imshadi
03-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Thanks, but it didn't work.

Greenlaw
03-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Do you have a dongle inserted?

If you're dragging in a non-dongle license key, you need to remove the dongle. Otherwise, the dongle will block it. I remember this causing some confusion where I was working a couple of years ago when we got all the licenses upgraded to 2015.

Or it could be the other way around--maybe you're using the dongle version key without the dongle inserted.

MonroePoteet
03-07-2017, 11:15 AM
LW will also come up in Discovery Mode if you have another instance of Modeler or Layout running on another node using the same license.

mTp

imshadi
03-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Nope. No dongle. This is 2015.3 and it used to work on this laptop. I'm wondering if there is something messed up in the registry, since I've even uninstalled it and reinstalled it with the same result.

imshadi
03-07-2017, 11:28 AM
It looks the same as when it is running on another machine. I can certainly run it on my other machine, but not in the laptop while I made sure not even the hub is active on my other machine.... I even tried unplugging both machines from the network and disabling wifi on the laptop (the other has none). This is very weird. I'm wondering if there is a way to cleanup the mess and try to do a complete and fresh install... otherwise I'm going to be needing to install even Windows 10.....

Greenlaw
03-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Hmm...that is strange.

I'm assuming you rebooted both machines. That might sound obvious but the reason I ask is because sometimes a 'phantom' LightWave will remain active in memory, even though you have no access to it. When this happens, you can see it running in Task Manager. You can kill it from there but I usually reboot just to be sure it's cleared.

Asticles
03-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Rename .Newtek folder first on user folder, just in case. If not, uninstall it with revo uninstaller (there is a free version, check advanced uninstall and will check your registry to remove completely the software).

Ztreem
03-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Be sure to have the windows firewall service active otherwise the license sytem doesn't work.

imshadi
03-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Thank you thank you thank you! Using Revo Uninstaller cleaned whatever the problem was and now it's working again!!!1

TheLexx
03-07-2017, 02:40 PM
I'm glad you got it working, Imshadi. I liked your website. Can I please ask what plugin you used for the ocean simulation with the tentacle ?

imshadi
03-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Hot ocean when there is no collisions, and Real Flow for the splash. Real flow However has always been a pain to use and now that they dropped support for LW I'm thinking of giving a chance to Deep Rising FX. I am hoping they show signs of knowing what vorticity means to be sure the liquids will move at least as realistically as I hope. If it gets to have rendertime meshing it would be even better.

Marander
03-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Thank you thank you thank you! Using Revo Uninstaller cleaned whatever the problem was and now it's working again!!!1

Yes I had the same issue for all installed LW versions (11.6.3 / 2015.3). I tried various settings with firewall / Bitdefender / AV, adjusting NTFS rights, removing LW config files etc., nothing helped. Then I did a normal uninstall and installed again in a path outside the Program Files folder. I think it was a problem after the Windows 10 anniversary update or something similar.

imshadi
03-09-2017, 03:49 PM
I always Install Lightwave in the root of c:. It is easier like that when you want to setup a renderfarm.

spherical
03-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Do you have a dongle inserted?

If you're dragging in a non-dongle license key, you need to remove the dongle. Otherwise, the dongle will block it. I remember this causing some confusion where I was working a couple of years ago when we got all the licenses upgraded to 2015.

Or it could be the other way around--maybe you're using the dongle version key without the dongle inserted.

Just manually edit the key file to include the dongle numbers for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of whatever LightWave versions you have installed. Put all of the dongle numbers you have, each on one line, starting one blank line below the big block. Then, no matter how you open any of them, it just finds what it's looking for. I have numbers for all of my versions in the file and place copies of the file where each version looks for it. Good to go.

Greenlaw
03-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the tip.

From what I recall at the time, I had put all of the studio's 11 licenses in one file, including the dongle licenses and the non-dongle licenses, but the machines would always launch in Discovery mode if the dongle was present. If we removed the dongle, it would launch with the non-dongle license, so we just assumed you couldn't mix these two systems. Since we had pretty much switched over to 2015 for some time already (this was 2014 but we were a beta site,) we really didn't need the dongles anymore, so we just retired the dongles.

I work at a different studio now and we don't use the dongles, so it's not an issue there.

It's not an issue for me personally either--I rarely use the dongle on my own computers anymore. I do keep the dongles around in case I need to run a really old version of lightwave but, TBH, I can't remember the last time I had to do that.

spherical
03-15-2017, 02:03 PM
I had put all of the studio's 11 licenses in one file, including the dongle licenses and the non-dongle licenses, but the machines would always launch in Discovery mode if the dongle was present. If we removed the dongle, it would launch with the non-dongle license, so we just assumed you couldn't mix these two systems.

Something odd there. If that were actually the case, users could not use commercial plugins that poll the dongle in combination with the software registration system. I have the dongle plugged in and the key files are as described above and everything works. BTW, the method is to add the 4-quad numbers to the .LWK file, not the registration block to the .KEY file.