PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia and such

mborge
03-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Just mumbling here but, it's been awfully quiet on the LW 3D development blog etc.

Every so often, I come back to these forums just to check on LW's progress.

I've been disheartened lately by most of the 3D programs I've been using.

I keep trying to like Blender but, the control scheme just never sits well with me.
There's really some great things happening but, I just can't take to it.
There's a number of default behaviors that just feel alien.

Modo is awesome but, ever since Peebler left, I keep waiting for the "Other shoe to drop".
Plus, IMHO - it's starting to get bloated for what I need. (Mainly modeling)

A couple years ago, I got excited that Silo might make a return.
There was an update but, then NC dropped it yet again.

3D-Coat actually makes me very happy with the direction it's taking but, there's still a need for a solid poly/Sub-D modeler.
Some tasks (Hard Surface for example) often just make more sense in Poly's.

So I return here (Where I started) every so often.
I keep looking to see if Modeler is getting the love it deserves.
I was never bothered by the 2 program paradigm and for a time Modeler was king.

Ok, well guess I'll check back in a year or so.

erikals
03-06-2017, 08:24 PM
the coders had to start with Layout for the new mesh engine, they will then have time to look more into Modeling "stuff".

but it ain't around the corner, as far as we know...

Modo / LW / Blender / C4D / Houdini Indie
...there just ain't no ultimate low cost generalist app available...

such it is...   :)

bazsa73
03-07-2017, 02:10 AM
Let's weep together. Bryhhyhhy...

pinkmouse
03-07-2017, 02:53 AM
...Ok, well guess I'll check back in a year or so.

Probably the best option... :)

50one
03-07-2017, 03:49 AM
Rob left Newtek too. Some say he changed his surname to Zombie and is now a musician.

lardbros
03-07-2017, 05:49 AM
Nice you still check in mborge... :)

It has gone a little quiet, but I'd rather the devs worked hard on stuff than spent all their time doing blogs.

The new renderer looks awesome, but I wouldn't hold tight for modelling updates just yet. It will happen... it definitely will! It's just unfortunately not the time for the modeller to be enhanced just yet.

I still use modeller for my stuff and it's still pretty good to be honest... I find myself using it more and more, along with 3dsMax, just to assist in modelling tasks that are trickier in Max. :)

jasonwestmas
03-07-2017, 07:33 AM
I can easily forgive silence regarding large projects if the results are impressive in the presentation of such releases (including some videos or thorough documentation...not expecting very much but would be nice to have quite a few of those things). Actually I prefer it this way and think it is better than some generalized hype. If there is hype involved it should be done professionally with precise details.

jasonwestmas
03-07-2017, 07:36 AM
mborge, I always have to recommend getting serious with Zbrush if your primary profession or love of life is 3D modeling. Plus it has SubD modeling capabilities now.

mborge
03-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Nice to see some of the die-hard faithful still here! Thanks for the comments and some good laughs. Nice to see humor is still a tradition here.
I hope your patience and support is both rewarded and appreciated by NT.

50one - Now that I think about it, I've never seen Rob Powers and Rob Zombie in the same place at the same time! :rock: Keep the faith and rock on!