PDA

View Full Version : More geeky guitar goodness

Spinland
03-03-2017, 04:49 AM
Just ran across this last night:

MIDI Guitar 2 (http://www.jamorigin.com/)

I already have a digital guitar that I play through the virtual instruments in my DAW; this lets me do the same thing with my regular electric. They have a bass version, too. I was just playing my PRS and sounding like trumpets and violins.

We live in killer fun times. :rock:

Red Dog Records
03-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Looks great, but I would still worry about latency.
In the past (like the mid 90's) all of the MIDI converters used wave analysis to convert audio to MIDI. It would take 1 1/2 waveform lengths to recognize the frequency and convert it.
This works fine for higher frequencies, but there was always a very noticeable lag on my bass.
Wired fretboards fixed this, (looking at you Peavey), but there was not enough of a market to continue development.

I will definitely mess around with this to see how things have progressed.

Fun times indeed! But not too much different than what was happening a few decades ago - just a LOT cheaper! :)

Rock on!

Andrew

Spinland
03-03-2017, 01:45 PM
You might get a kick out of this: it's a "MIDI guitar" that has near-zero latency. Every string has its own pickup and the fretboard is touch-sensitive. It hasn't taken off as hugely as I thought it might, methinks mainly because it looks like a video game controller, but in practice it's a damned cool instrument with a ton of potential. It's also trivially easy to drop it an octave and have a six string bass (short scale, but what the hell).

Andertons reviews the YouRock Guitar (https://youtu.be/4wK80p6AwtA)

They say it runs on batteries, and that's true, but it can also be powered via USB and since most of the time I'm running it through a DAW I rarely do the battery thing.

I have the Gen2 with an optional "radius" neck that has more of a rock (and less of a classical) shape (and I covered the dorky decal with a pick guard):

Can't bend strings, but the tremolo makes up for that. Can't pulloff to an open string, which is the only real limitation I've run across. It handles hammers, pulls, slides and tapping with ease.

It'll never replace my "real" guitars but it's killer fun to play with and I've laid down a lot of good tracks using it instead of a keyboard for MIDI work.

Red Dog Records
03-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Very cool!
I have played some 'midi' guitars/basses where the string would complete a circuit between frets and the pickup would indicate note volume. the system worked pretty darn well back in the 90's!
Glad to see developments are still being made with this.

Andrew