PDA

View Full Version : Texture flickering

vector
03-01-2017, 10:26 PM
H

All the threads I found while googling are too old so I would like to know how you'd deal with this problem with the new AA system (well, the 11.6.3 system, the license I own):

I have a texture of little cartoon flowers over a ground. When I move the camera the most of those flowers flick even disappearing and appearing again specially if the camera is less perpendicular in relation to the normals. I'm using the settings you can see in the image.

Any idea?

Thanks

kopperdrake
03-02-2017, 02:58 AM
Do you have a couple of shots, or even a short clip, so we can see the effect ourselves? It could be anything from geometry, to ray tracing errors, to your settings above. A sample would help a lot :)

Niko3D
03-02-2017, 03:32 AM
Yes...also it depends from your GI setting...
Usually the flickering is caused by the GI...you need to save the cache.

magiclight
03-02-2017, 03:34 AM
If you are not using GI, does the flickering go away if you disable adaptive sampling ? that will at least eliminate one cause.

vector
03-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Thanks. I'm playing with the cache but not luck ... I'll keep trying and reading Except radiosity guide

Below an example of the problem. As you'll see some of the flowers flicker all the time

vector
03-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Probably not an elegant solution, but applying an alpha using incidence angle avoid that ugly effect. Thanks for your help

Niko3D
03-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Thanks. I'm playing with the cache but not luck ... I'll keep trying and reading Except radiosity guide

Below an example of the problem. As you'll see some of the flowers flicker all the time

Very strange...for to use the cache in right way you have to do:
- choose the path where you want save the cache (of course)
- Frame steps, it depends, but you put 5 or less as 2
- keep "Automatic" and Bake Radiosity scene
- when it finish, choose "Locked" and save the scene...
- Render the scene

kopperdrake
03-06-2017, 06:59 AM
Looking at the animation, are you sure the flowers are raised off the ground plane? Because to me it looks like they're on the same plane, which will cause flickering like that. Maybe try raising them slightly.

vector
03-08-2017, 10:47 PM
Kopperdrak-> The flowers are texture, not geometry.
Niko3D-> I tried caching using different values but not luck :(

Thanks anyway. Maybe due to flat angles those flowers flicker, so I decided avoid it using the alpha with an incidence angle

kopperdrake
03-09-2017, 03:04 AM
Weird - do they flicker when you're not using GI?

Asticles
03-09-2017, 04:30 AM
Vector, can you make one test? can you raise everything 1m? With other soft sometimes on objects at 0,0,0 I've found precission issues and atifacts.

Sensei
03-09-2017, 04:42 AM
Texture flickering

Any idea?

Double resolution, and then rescale down in Photoshop. It almost always work. Quick and easy solution.

Flickering also could be result of exceeding RGB 1,1,1...
There is option "Limit Dynamic Range" in Render Globals, worth to try.