PDA

View Full Version : LW 2015.3 and plugin Compatibility?

Stardust
03-01-2017, 06:14 PM
Hi,

I've noticed that plug-ins have a compatibility added, like this one:

http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/3striptechnicolor.php

does that means that they do not work with LW2015.3? I just recently hosed my LW Install and i'm wondering if it may have had to do with any incompatible plug-ins.

Thank you

Ma3rk
03-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Most LScripts will work no matter the version. Can't guarantee that 100% but certainly worth giving them a try.

Stardust
03-01-2017, 08:17 PM
What about 32bit vs. 64bit?
Can one have BOTH LW's, 32 and 64bit installed?

Dodgy
03-01-2017, 09:50 PM
I regularly worked with both 32bit and 64bit LWs until fairly recently. Lscripts should work with both, as do Python scripts.

Stardust
03-02-2017, 01:29 AM
Thank you, I'm asking all this because i'm tired of re-installing all my stuff :)

Sensei
03-02-2017, 02:43 AM
LScripts have poor compatibility in comparison to compiled plugins (except that 32 bit plugin needs recompilation to 64 bit to work on 64 bit LW. But 64 bit OS can have installed 32 bit LW).
Majority of plugins that I made for LightWave 6.0 in 2002-2003 still works without any change needed in them.

The major issue with compiled plugin is constant expanding of LWNodalAccess, LWTextureAccess etc.
If plugin which has built-in Node Editor ("Edit Nodes" button) tries to have:
struct LWNodalAccess na;
to store these data (needed by LWNodeEditorFuncs->Evaluate()),
there is needed recompilation every single LW release/beta version.

What about 32bit vs. 64bit?
Can one have BOTH LW's, 32 and 64bit installed?

I always install 32 bit version of Modeler and Layout first,
prior 64 bit versions.
32 bit Layout rendering and working is faster by 10% to 33% than 64 bit version on the same machine,
as long as virtual memory is not used.

prometheus
03-02-2017, 05:05 AM
LScripts have poor compatibility in comparison to compiled plugins (except that 32 bit plugin needs recompilation to 64 bit to work on 64 bit LW. But 64 bit OS can have installed 32 bit LW).
Majority of plugins that I made for LightWave 6.0 in 2002-2003 still works without any change needed in them.

The major issue with compiled plugin is constant expanding of LWNodalAccess, LWTextureAccess etc.
If plugin which has built-in Node Editor ("Edit Nodes" button) tries to have:
struct LWNodalAccess na;
to store these data (needed by LWNodeEditorFuncs->Evaluate()),
there is needed recompilation every single LW release/beta version.

I always install 32 bit version of Modeler and Layout first,
prior 64 bit versions.
32 bit Layout rendering and working is faster by 10% to 33% than 64 bit version on the same machine,
as long as virtual memory is not used.

Me too, I install 32 bit versions first, since that is where most of the plugins still is available or working with.
Layout 64 rendering slower than 64? I havenīt really verified that ..what I do know thoug..It is that the 64 bit is essential if you work with large poly objects and displacement, you could try the space jockey scene and model from foundation3d and try to get that in to 32 bit versions VS 64 bit.
Also..particle amount, trying to get more than 3 millions or 4 millions of particles will probably not work in 32 bit, but in 64 you may probably get 8-12 million depending on, though the system would still halt when dealing with such numbers.

Stardust
03-03-2017, 02:12 AM
Thank you guys!

rustythe1
03-03-2017, 06:17 AM
Me too, I install 32 bit versions first, since that is where most of the plugins still is available or working with.
Layout 64 rendering slower than 64? I havenīt really verified that ..what I do know thoug..It is that the 64 bit is essential if you work with large poly objects and displacement, you could try the space jockey scene and model from foundation3d and try to get that in to 32 bit versions VS 64 bit.
Also..particle amount, trying to get more than 3 millions or 4 millions of particles will probably not work in 32 bit, but in 64 you may probably get 8-12 million depending on, though the system would still halt when dealing with such numbers.

just render the marbles from the newtek forums, you need a long running scene to give you a wider margin, but one with not much geometry, like he said if you end up using virtual memory, it wont work out.