PDA

View Full Version : StemCell 3D on Turbosquid ? Lightwave?

Airwaves
03-01-2017, 10:11 AM
To start off this thread I want to put the link first https://www.turbosquid.com/stemcell-3d-models?utm_source=StemCell_press_release&utm_campaign=StemCell_announcement&utm_medium=turbosquid_blog

I buy quite a few things from Turbosquid and was ecstatic to hear about StemCell 3D models. It would save me tons of time when I buy models not quite made in Lightwave. So here are some of my questions

Does anybody know someone who is working on this with Lightwave? Or does anybody know if this will cause problems for Lightwave?

Lightwave is not on the list of software being tested but Blender is. Is this a bad sign for Lightwave?

This happens to have come after I made the decision to wait for the next Lightwave instead of switching software but I rely heavily on turbosquid for models and honestly if it will take Lightwave a year or so to get on this I am not sure I want to wait. Heck I don't even know how the stuff works to be honest.

Airwaves
03-01-2017, 10:13 AM
I just got a response from turbosquid from my question after posting. It looks like the person there did not know if Lightwave would be available for it. It sounds like they have only worked with artists from the ones that are listed.

This is another link they gave me but it might not work unless you are logged in they said. https://resources.squid.io/stemcell/

Airwaves
03-01-2017, 11:25 AM
To give another update to anybody who cares to know. I submitted a ticket to lightwave and they said they are getting this information in front of the people who need to know about it. So they are looking into it.

Axis3d
03-01-2017, 05:52 PM
I think turbosquid can convert a model into a LW format. I think I've bought a 3d max file once that they needed to convert for me.

kopperdrake
03-02-2017, 03:07 AM
Yes they can. Sometimes it comes out rubbish, but the last time I used that service, the conversion guy tried several methods for me to get the best conversion - kudos to them for that!

Airwaves
03-02-2017, 09:42 AM
They will still probably do conversions but from the conversation I had it appears that this StemCell 3D will be their standard to aim for. They will probably still do conversions but who knows.

vonpietro
03-02-2017, 10:21 AM
if the model is in fbx format - you can easily import it into lw and snap the uv maps in the surfaces

Typically - Turbosquid in the past - the free models need alot of texture love. While i was able to use a bunch of the free models for simple props in my sets, they require quite a bit of editing- and almost always are not in the right scale.

I'm always telling people - Model to scale, and thats even more important with turbosquid models that usually come in the size of the skyscraper. =)

I recently asked turbo squid about a model i was interested in and said i needed it in lw format. It took them a week and they emailed me images showing that they successfully imported the model into lw. Which was nice.
Although my one pet peeve with turbosquid is they take 50% of a purchase from the artist - which i think is high way robbery for just the work of selling it. That is just way too much - greedy comes to mind.

I'm interested too about the stem thing - and if they will do lightwave -

quite a few places leave lightwave off the list of 3d soft ware - like algorithmic. I spoke to them when they did substance days at gnomon - top guys at substance and they just said we will contact them.
now if they did or not i have no clue.
and i was happy that they even considered lightwave.
other places - wont even mention lw now.

thats because if you think lightwave is bad at talking to its user base - think about how bad it is with 3rd party and other softwares.

come on newtek - get a guy who's only job is marketing and liasions with other software - You are losing so much market share!!

GandB
03-02-2017, 10:10 PM
^^ They actually take 60% from the artist; unless you sign on to their "Squidguild" scheme. They have been at 60% for some time now; unless they've recently changed back?

Airwaves
03-03-2017, 11:12 AM
I know many people have been disappointed with Lightwave's marketing and inability to talk to anybody for that matter and even I have been frustrated at this. The biggest concern I have had is that I really don't want to use another software as my main application but am willing to if needs be but if Blender is on the radar for Turbosquid and Lightwave is not and was not even contacted then I think the rest of the world is assuming it is dead.

I have been told blender is bigger than lightwave but it seems like nobody thinks Lightwave will make it outside of it's users.

I am begging you newtek to prove us all wrong with the next version. :)

In regards to turbosquid taking that high percentage it is not that great and I would say a good opportunity for upcoming 3d model sites to make money on. Great invitation to start a business to help the artists more.

What other 3d model sites do you guys use?

Schwyhart
03-03-2017, 01:07 PM
It would have been nice if www.3dxyz.pro was continued.

Airwaves
03-03-2017, 01:50 PM
It would have been nice if www.3dxyz.pro was continued.

I loved their stuff. The site is still up but are you saying they are not adding to it any more?

Norka
03-03-2017, 02:57 PM
:-( I used to REALLY enjoy being able to grab stuff (for reference/starter meshes) at 3Dwarehouse and export from SketchUp 8 with the OBJExporter plug... but now they have discontinued v8 files on 3DWarehouse, and there doesn't seem to be any way around getting Pro (which I will NEVER do, at $695) to be able to snag stuff and export to LW... unless you guys know if there IS a way...

Schwyhart
03-03-2017, 03:21 PM
I loved their stuff. The site is still up but are you saying they are not adding to it any more?

The last update was in 2015, I believe.

vonpietro
03-03-2017, 07:12 PM
ya- something not turbosquid - they are greedy - no more than %30 should be taken.

by the way - amazon's cut is a whopping 70% from 0-3 bucks and then comes after 3 bucks 30%... so if your book is 10 bucks they will take 3. also ebooks max is 9.99.

and google apps does the same they take 30% and so does apple.

so somehow - 30% became the standard for marketing peoples stuff.

but turbsosquid greedily takes double that.

so ya - unity i hear is also only 30%. better to put it there.