PDA

View Full Version : Replicating 3D Coat's Surfacing in LightWave?

kopperdrake
02-28-2017, 01:28 PM
After deliberating for a while I've finally tinkered with the 3D Coat demo for a couple of days, learning what I can and can't get away with in terms of textures. Needless to say, so far I love it, and have boshed this set of old WW2 binoculars out - modelled in LightWave and textured and rendered in 3D Coat. Now, however, as much as I try and follow various threads on how to get this loveliness into LightWave, I trip up. My images come out looking as flat as anything, really nothing to write home about. Am I expecting too much from a non-PBR renderer, to have a reasonably simple workflow to get this look replicated? Will I end up jumping through nodal hoops in order to get something 'close'? And lastly, do people think the new version of LightWave will have a more obvious route, being PBR itself, in getting these sorts of results into LightWave? Because frankly, it's painful being able to knock something like this up quickly, and then realise there may be several hurdles to jump to get something like it in LW2015.3

PS Before anyone mentions it, they're missing glass as I was going to do that in LW.

Surrealist.
02-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Beautiful view port renders. Typical. I have not had much luck in any application getting immediate results from generated maps. Just does not seem to work that way. There are some threads around using node set-ups through. I think LW next will be easier, but I expect it will still take tweaking. I still have to tweak quite a bit in Unreal. Maps to me just become a way to control details. You still have to really tweak to get the surface attributes you want.

Reco
02-28-2017, 04:05 PM
I got a lot of help in this tread.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?146816-3D-COAT-4-5-Released/page3

Reco

CaptainMarlowe
02-28-2017, 10:48 PM
That's why for painting/texturing I use substance painter more than 3d-coat because it has among other goodies templates that allow for PBR spec/gloss exprot that render correctly in LW and even non-PBR spec/gloss which I haven't tried. This said, yes, to get a Pslick BR look, and despite the node made by Andrew Comb, I guess we still have to wait for the PBR renderer of LW next.

eon5
03-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Hope this help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AnQy23x-yc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfSTNDMOFwQ

kopperdrake
03-05-2017, 02:59 AM
Thanks eon5 - I'll have a look at those on Monday when I'm ready to give it a go! I've resurfaced the binoculars from scratch, having learned a bit more about the workflow, and Andrew Comb's given me some advice (and others) on using his node to get the surfacing somewhere near.

Cheers :thumbsup:

kopperdrake
03-21-2017, 04:23 AM
As a follow up I thought I'd post some images from LightWave - thanks to Andrew Comb for his lovely PBR node and Rich Lindle who pointed me in the right direction after some normal map weirdness :thumbsup:

Modelled in LightWave, textured in 3D Coat, rendered in LightWave using Virtual Darkroom post processing.

Markc
03-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Nice Renders.
ps I love your logo :thumbsup: