PDA

View Full Version : Using the Free Krita to do cut outs & retouch

prometheus
02-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Hi folks, I am starting this thread because I do not want to pollute William Vaughanīs thread about photoshop and his tutorial.

Just wanted to share a tip on using krita for product cutouts & retouch, krita is free and can get some work done without any cost for the software, so for smaller business without too extensive work constantly with images, it may work well, but unfortunately for today I will only post a simple teaser, I am about to hit the sack as usual :) and the screenshot is unfortunately with a swedish language in the krita interface..which I need to change, and perhaps the krita version.

usually I do a path for cut outs, since I do not find magic wand and similar direct selection tools so trustworthy (if you have photoshop and vertus fluid mask ..then donīt bother)
In photoshop we have paths that can be made and edited and continued and saved, in krita you can add a vector layer and start drawing with the bezier curve tool, then you need to select that path so it is highlighted, then and only then you will get the edit path tool available as an icon in the icon toolbar.

I may be able to record something this weekend, not sure I will be able to sound narrate it, but you may get along anyway.

so for now just a simply screenshot, showing the path, how to edit it and add points, or delete change path to curve smooth etc and how to convert to selection in order to do the cut out..I will deal with later, the paths will always be there and can be changed added or removed as you see fit..if you just save within the krita format.
More will come and tips and hints.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136156&d=1488309064

Ma3rk
02-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Hey prometheus,

Don't wish to hi-jack your thread either but thought it worthwhile to mention as tool from Topazlabs I recently came across. Not free, but not expensive either, and deals with some areas that pathing simply can't; specifically transparency and tons of detailed areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcfm8Do2EjI

They're at ver. 5 now but the basics are pretty much the same.

prometheus
02-28-2017, 02:29 PM
Hey prometheus,

Don't wish to hi-jack your thread either but thought it worthwhile to mention as tool from Topazlabs I recently came across. Not free, but not expensive either, and deals with some areas that pathing simply can't; specifically transparency and tons of detailed areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcfm8Do2EjI

They're at ver. 5 now but the basics are pretty much the same.

Thatīs ok, always interesting with new things..though in this case it would mean additionally investing in photoshop for a company + the cost of topaz, which is a no no..when they even couldnīt afford photoshop.
And itīs really not something I would get personally either.

would be nice to see a simpler product shot rather than hair etc, how fast that would go and how accurate.

Ma3rk
03-01-2017, 07:30 AM
ReMask can work as a Stand alone. I suspect it would work fine with Affinity Photo as well. The video should give you a pretty good idea of speed. Learning curve is pretty shallow as well.