PDA

View Full Version : Radius plugin for free

jaxtone
02-28-2017, 09:55 AM
Hi,

just about to produce a square shaped object but need to add a smooth radius along its edges. Lightwaves own tools are just too crappy to use.

Any one who knows about a cool plug that easily creates radius that you can control by the number control like distance and smoothness?

Danner
02-28-2017, 10:56 AM
the make box tool in lightwave has an option for smooth edges.. works really well as far as I can tell.

Oedo 808
02-28-2017, 07:32 PM
Perhaps Sensei's TrueFillet (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueFillet) could help.

prometheus
03-02-2017, 12:59 PM
Confusing...square shape, you mean a flat square shape? not fully 3d? then it sounds wrong if you ask for a smooth radius along itīs edges, since such edge doesnīt have any dimension to round along itīs edges, if you say round the corners of a square shape, that I would get...I dunno, maybe itīs me? :)

in such case, as oedo said ...true fillet, itīs free.

and as danner says, if you want a box you can use smooth edges or just set a radius in the box tool ..along with radius segments, this can be done on a flat object or full 3d, but only corners at one time, and non procedural..so once dropped you can not change it with that tool ofcourse.

otherwise for full 3d, and for individual edges, whats wrong with rounder?

and for the better ones, and cool plugin...lw cad ..but it will cost you.

if you sort of want to start of wit square shapes or flat profiles that needs to be filleted, apart from senseis true fillet, you could wrap such things up in free cad tools and then export, like freecad or design sparks, which is free too and export to lightwave and do other if needed extrusions / thicken there.

prometheus
03-02-2017, 01:33 PM
A trick..even though truefillet is better.

select a corner point/chamfer to what lenght is needed, select that newly created corner edge and use artspheres divide edge and set some number of points, then select that edge again and run cp realtime smooth and change the iteration slider to around hundred, and you will get a rounded corner to some extent.

djwaterman
03-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Wow, use LW's "crappy" in built "free" make Box, use smooth edges and dial in all the segmentation and distance you want. It does very nice rounded edges on a box.

djwaterman
03-02-2017, 08:20 PM
And if you want a flat square with rounded edges, just select the edge loop of the rounded cube, copy and paste it into another layer, select the points, hit P and create a polygon from it.

prometheus
03-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Wow, use LW's "crappy" in built "free" make Box, use smooth edges and dial in all the segmentation and distance you want. It does very nice rounded edges on a box.

In fact..I would chime in with crappy here, a box is limited to just that, and thereīs no way you can adjust single corners, If senseis true fillet was native...Lws native tool for such things wouldnīt be crappy, or simply have a rounder tool workin on flat polys.

Other software sample..and all for free by the way.

Blender Sample, create flat plane, enter edit mode select point of any corner or several corners "shift-ctrl b" or go through the spacebar and selec edit mesh tools/vertices bevel.....same thing, set amount of segments and amount and you have your native corner, all in native blender...all for free.
This can be done on any type of flat areas with sharp angles and round them off, in lightwave...get additional thousands of dollars to get lw cad apart from thousands of dollars for lightwave, or get free sensei plugin.
Blender all native and not a single dime is spent.

Things like that you know, glad sensei made that free though for lightwave with trufillet, but it should be native really...it doesnīt look good when folks are trying to do it natively ..but have to search around.