PDA

View Full Version : Image maps to UV question

Axis3d
02-28-2017, 07:14 AM
Hi, everyone

I have a lot of models that have various types of image maps applied with planar, cylindrical, and spherical methods.

I would like to export them as obj with a UV map applied instead.

What would be a good method of getting those type of projection-based images into a UV map for each model?

Thanks in advance.

tcoursey
02-28-2017, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure that it can be automated in an export. Someone else might know. You'll probably have to go in and UV each model...either with LW tools or something like 3DCoat. I've been playing with the demo of 3DC and it's UV tools are pretty great. Very easy to use and really get you going quick for things just like what your talking about. It can auto generate UV's and they are pretty solid, depending on the geometry you give it. Isolating islands and creating seams etc.... Check it out.

Would be interested if there is some plugin that creates UV's based on planar projection maps etc too! Good luck.

ernpchan
02-28-2017, 07:53 AM
I don't believe there's an automated way to do this. You could try surface baking but that's baking down the final look. Not recreating the individual textures that made up the final look. Maybe someone has created a script or plugin to do this.

bazsa73
02-28-2017, 08:03 AM
I don't believe there's an automated way to do this. You could try surface baking but that's baking down the final look. Not recreating the individual textures that made up the final look. Maybe someone has created a script or plugin to do this.

Not necessarily. It bakes according to the lighting settings. if all lighting is off and the model has only luminosity and color values it bakes the original RGB information from the cubic planar whatever mapping.

bazsa73
02-28-2017, 08:09 AM
Hi, everyone

I have a lot of models that have various types of image maps applied with planar, cylindrical, and spherical methods.

I would like to export them as obj with a UV map applied instead.

What would be a good method of getting those type of projection-based images into a UV map for each model?

Thanks in advance.
With the surface baking camera you can do that. It just takes time to do it one by one. You also have to change the surface settings and the lighting.
Switch off all lighting settings, raytracing, GI. Set the luminosity of the model to 100 all other values to zero and the color to whatever mapped texture settings you have.
Then on the surface baking camera panel settings set the mesh you want to bake and the corresponding UV. Set the resolution to equal sized square like 2048 * 2048 whatever you prefer.

Axis3d
02-28-2017, 08:10 AM
Thank, guys.

bazsa73, I forgot about that one. I may give that a try.

Paul_Boland
02-28-2017, 08:11 AM
I've thought about this many times before and agree it would be a great tool to have, but as others have said, it would require a dedicated tool to take in all those textures and applied settings and create a UV map of it all that fits your model.

Sensei
02-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Check out Batch Baking Camera plugin.
http://batchbakingcamera.trueart.eu

It would take you couple annoying and time consuming steps while mass baking your objects..

It can work with multiple objects with multiple UVs. Like you can see on plugin panel:
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/BatchBakingCamera/Graphics/BatchBakingCamera_Panel_2.png
So you would just to load all your objects, and make UVs (Unwrap/Atlas)..

bazsa73
02-28-2017, 10:29 AM
Thank, guys.

bazsa73, I forgot about that one. I may give that a try.

"Always the hard way" General Taylor / Delta Force 2 :)