PDA

View Full Version : Should NT sell a Discount version of Modeler on STEAM?

robertoortiz
02-28-2017, 06:44 AM
Hi Guys,
I was thinking that NT could sell the Modeler program
on STEAM at a discount. Maybe $200.00 dollars?
It is a great program no matter how old it is.
What do you guys think?
-R

Snosrap
02-28-2017, 06:57 AM
Not at $200! Maybe $50. I think its a bad idea all around. At least wait till they get a unified app.

samurai_x
02-28-2017, 07:00 AM
They should give it away for free.
Layout is the future anyway. Unless they want to keep the archaic split app baggage until the end of time.

robertoortiz
02-28-2017, 07:08 AM
They should give it away for free.
Layout is the future anyway. Unless they want to keep the archaic split app baggage until the end of time.

I am thinking of a way to generate income easily. They got nothing to lose on this, after all it is legacy CODE that can still make some income. Think of it as a way to entice new user to look into LW Next.

jasonwestmas
02-28-2017, 07:11 AM
Selling modeler would be a good idea if it was going to continue to get updates. Nobody is gonna buy it otherwise.

Surrealist.
02-28-2017, 07:25 AM
Not Modeler. And not at some perpetual license discount with reduced features. But the full version of LightWave. Fully functioning at something like 10 bucks a month. Maybe LightWave Next for something like 29 per month. And not on Steam. Mainly because I don't like that platform. But if doing that and paying the fees help them simplify and make more economical and plausible the delivery (less man hours), then yes.

hrgiger
02-28-2017, 07:43 AM
$200 is overpriced for modeler only. Especially if you want to use it for creating game conent. Without smoothing groups, baking tools or good uv tools, youre better off going with Modo indie.

40 or 50 bucks maybe.

samurai_x
02-28-2017, 09:25 AM
I am thinking of a way to generate income easily. They got nothing to lose on this, after all it is legacy CODE that can still make some income. Think of it as a way to entice new user to look into LW Next.

Its not that simple to sell on steam. You need a dedicated support staff and to conform to steam software requirements plus create the materials for the product.
NT doesn't have that manpower.

Oedo 808
02-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Not a chance, maybe if they can get LWCAD and 3rd Powers tools in there for the price, and even then I'm not sure I'd go for it. I'd rather wait until LightWave had moved forward in the modelling department before they thought about putting it up on Steam in whatever form. Unless NT were convinced it was going to die and wanted to do a cash grab. Unless I've misunderstood the point, I wouldn't describe the potential for its debut on Steam to be poorly received with negative reviews as nothing to lose. The Steam masses are even more whingey than us lot.

Perhaps if they released it as a game with modelling challenges narrated by the actor who does Geralt of Rivia, then it wouldn't matter how crap it was people would jerk off to it so long as the story was half-decent. Add some bewbs and we're on to a winner.

tl:dr

I think its a bad idea all around. At least wait till they get a unified app.

erikals
02-28-2017, 12:35 PM
No.

Modeler, nice as it is, is way behind.

meatycheesyboy
02-28-2017, 12:46 PM
In my opinion, no. Newtek has a pretty, and I'm being generous here, spotty history of supporting side projects. If they were to sell something on Steam it would be to the casual crowd and would need a huge marketing and training push for it to gain traction and engender good will. And frankly, Newtek is bad enough at supporting its main line 3D program, let alone a spin off product.

robertoortiz
02-28-2017, 12:52 PM
In my opinion, no. Newtek has a pretty, and I'm being generous here, spotty history of supporting side projects. If they were to sell something on Steam it would be to the casual crowd and would need a huge marketing and training push for it to gain traction and engender good will. And frankly, Newtek is bad enough at supporting its main line 3D program, let alone a spin off product.

Ok I think we have a consensus then. Great replies guys.
Then how about LW Next?

erikals
02-28-2017, 12:55 PM
No.   :)

Let's see where LW2018 takes us... :)