PDA

View Full Version : NDI Tools (Scan Converter)

lance.a.simon
02-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Greetings! I wish there was a discussion board dedicated to NDI Tools -- I hope I'm posting this in the right place!

I'm using NDI Scan Converter to bring a Powerpoint presentation into a show. I've got the Powerpoint in slide show mode, just transitioning through slides every few seconds. When I run the Scan Converter in Desktop mode the slideshow views fine, although the text on the slides is a bit blurry. When I run the utility pointed to the application (Powerpoint) the stream into the TC460 jams up / freezes.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Also any hints about getting better resolution on the slide text?

Thanks so much!

Lance

kanep
02-27-2017, 04:16 PM
What is the resolution of your screen that PowerPoint is running on? If it is less than HD (1920x1080) then it will be scaled to video format that you are operating at.

As for NDI Scan Converter grabbing the PowerPoint window, when you start the presentation, that opens a new PowerPoint window, separate from the main PowerPoint interface. If you look in the list of NDI sources, you should see a "Microsoft PowerPoint [1]" source which is the new source that PowerPoint just created.

lance.a.simon
02-28-2017, 05:15 AM
Hi Kane, thanks very much for your reply.

My multimedia-grade laptop is running 1920x1080.

As for NDI Scan Converter grabbing the PowerPoint window, when you start the presentation, that opens a new PowerPoint window, separate from the main PowerPoint interface. If you look in the list of NDI sources, you should see a "Microsoft PowerPoint [1]" source which is the new source that PowerPoint just created.
>> But when the powerpoint is in full-screen mode, there's no way I can see to get to the windows tray and adjust the NDI source selection! Odd.

I think I should try going "wired" from the laptop into the TC460 as a video source and see if that gets me the slide-text resolution I need. Does that make sense? If so, can I use the left-most HDMI connector in the back of the TC460 for this, or is that an output connector only?

THANKS!! Have a great day!! :dance:

SBowie
02-28-2017, 08:47 AM
TriCaster 460 does not have any HDMI inputs.

lance.a.simon
02-28-2017, 09:41 AM
OK. Got it. I'll use the 4th SDI input. Will output from the laptop in HDMI and convert to SDI, it will be interesting to see if there is a significant difference in the clarity of the powerpoint screen capture. Thanks!

eshiggs
04-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Hi Kane, thanks very much for your reply.

My multimedia-grade laptop is running 1920x1080.

>> But when the powerpoint is in full-screen mode, there's no way I can see to get to the windows tray and adjust the NDI source selection! Odd.

You don't need to select another source (on the computer running the slides) after PowerPoint goes into presentation mode. But you do need to select the presentation mode source on the TriCaster.

Just to confirm this, on the computer running the slides, you can press the Windows key or alt-tab to another window to see the task bar. If you right-click on the NDI Scan Converter icon, you'll see in the pop-up menu that there's only one choice for PowerPoint. But two sources will show up on the TriCaster, one for the window showing the slide deck in edit mode and one for presentation mode.

Also, it's very nice that even if you exit the slide presentation, and restart it later, the TriCaster will automatically resume getting that source when it's available.