PDA

View Full Version : Going to Japan!

Philbert
02-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Hey guys, If you know me you know I'm a huge fan of Japanese language and Culture. I have been for like 23 years. So as a Christmas and birthday gift my group of friends are taking me to Japan on March 29th for 10 days and I'm going to be filming everything for my YouTube channel.The problem is, they're paying for my flight but that's it. I have to come up with the rest on my own and I don't make a lot from freelance work. While I can save up some the rest will be very hard. So I set up a GoFundMe campaign. If anyone can help I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

https://www.gofundme.com/filming-in-japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbyGRgf45YE

cove
02-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Just a bit of info that you may like to look at.

Tourist office in Tokyo Japan
Link
http://www.jaltour.co.uk/japantours/optional-tours-2#tokyo

Shows highlights in and around Tokyo.
Check out "Mount Fuji & Hakone (Full-Day)" in the list.

I had 5 days in Tokyo some 15 years ago and booked the above trip.
Booked the trip from a Tokyo tourist office when i was there.
Had a great time lots to see and its a photographers dream.
Well worth the money.
But as you say in your video visiting Mount fuji is weather dependent.
So other options you have in mind maybe more viable.
Anyway hope all goes well with funding and your able to carry out your intentions.

PS.
Regarding your need to have/use better video equipment.
If while your in Japan one of your friends has spare time then maybe worth visiting a few local video/photographic shops [Maybe secondhand shops]. Hotel front desk personal will know were they are.
Mention who you are why your filming and you may be lucky and be offered some equipment to use for a day.

If you can post a link to your youtube video after you come back
that would be great.

Philbert
02-27-2017, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the tips. Parts of our trip are already planned since my friend knows a guy in Osaka who we will spend a few days with. I have friends in Tokyo I want to meet up with. Interesting idea about a store loaning me something but that's a longshot. They would have to be very trusting. I'm expecting to have at least 10 videos. I'll post but you can also subscribe to me on YouTube. Http://youtube.com/user/PhilNolan3DJ

samurai_x
02-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Apply for a job like teaching english. :D
What's your itinerary? 10 days is good enough to visit tokyo, osaka, kyoto. 2 weeks is better.

Philbert
02-27-2017, 08:51 PM
Ha ha since I'm going with 4 friends I doubt there will be time for teaching English. Yeah 2 weeks is better and 2 months better than that. lol I didn't plan the trip though.

We haven't chosen the exact itinerary. Something like Arrive at Haneda airport in Tokyo on Thursday, stay there one night, get the shinkansen to Osaka the next day and spend a few days there including maybe some day trips to Kyoto, then go back to Tokyo and spend the rest of the time there.

samurai_x
02-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Ah well for a short stay best to go to the top spots in each region.
Osaka area - Namba, Umeda, Shinsaibashi, Castle grounds, Den den town. Short trip to Nara. Kyoto is worth staying two days.

Tokyo area - Shibuya, Asakusa, Akihabara. Short trip to Kamakura with biggest bronze buddha in the world. Fuji is worth staying overnight in a ryokan.

You must try the steak in japan. Best in the world. Better than steaks in the states. :D

Philbert
02-27-2017, 10:03 PM
Great tips. Ryokan would be great but I think a little too expensive I think.

samurai_x
02-27-2017, 10:31 PM
Ryokans serve traditional japanese food, must try, You never know when you'll be back. Like I should have eaten more boston lobsters in the US. :D

Ikinari is a good low cost steak house in tokyo.

Philbert
02-27-2017, 10:35 PM
I'm sure they're amazing, I've seen friends in Japan do videos on them. Of course the whole point in this post is that I can barely afford McDonald's. lol

samurai_x
02-27-2017, 10:45 PM
To save money, walk instead of taking the train. Like walk from shibuya to shinjuku or shinjuku to nakano. Googlemaps is your friend.
Nakano Broadway is pretty popular for foreigners into anime, too, btw. Lots of collectibles.

Please don't go to mcdonalds, starbucks, etc, IN JAPAN. That's so american. Lol. :D

Philbert
02-27-2017, 10:57 PM
OK then, I can barely afford the conbini, As I said in the video we already have JR Passes, so that covers most of the train travel.

samurai_x
02-27-2017, 11:56 PM
Jrpass is very expensive. Is it worth it? Afaict its only worth it if you use the shinkansen atleast 4 times.

Combini obento food is actually healthier than any fastfood. Try Origin Bento all over japan.

Philbert
02-28-2017, 12:04 AM
Yes, we did the math. $250 for the JRPass was cheaper than paying for the shinkansen and other trains individually.

samurai_x
02-28-2017, 12:11 AM
Ok. I assume you're after the experience of riding the bullet train. Its much cheaper to take the night bus from tokyo to osaka. Or by plane using low cost airline like peach airlines.
Shinkansens are expensive in general.

Philbert
02-28-2017, 12:13 AM
Yeah we were interested in the shinkansen so we could see the views of the window.

samurai_x
02-28-2017, 12:31 AM
Thats cool.
I don't ride them from tokyo anymore with all the options available. By peach airlines its 10000 yen rountrip.
By shinkansen one way ticket is +13000 yen. Overprice.
I do recommend riding the bullet for first time tourist though. Eat the ekibento and have fun. :)

cove
02-28-2017, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the tips. Parts of our trip are already planned since my friend knows a guy in Osaka who we will spend a few days with. I have friends in Tokyo I want to meet up with. Interesting idea about a store loaning me something but that's a longshot. They would have to be very trusting. I'm expecting to have at least 10 videos. I'll post but you can also subscribe to me on YouTube. Http://youtube.com/user/PhilNolan3DJ

Hi again.
Regarding borrowing equipment for a day or two.
If like you say you are going to film anything and everything then no doubt you will be filming the conversation with the camera shop owner.
The shots taken could make an interesting insert into your video.
If the shop owner knows that his shop could be on youtube then that could be very persuasive as he could see it as world wide advertising
for his shop. [Make shore you get a shot of his shop front from the main street].
Potential customers could, after film shows on youtube, say "Hey saw you on youtube thought id pop in".
In the long run has to be good for business to loan you a few pieces of equipment which is unlikely to be new items but secondhand items used for part exchange.
So maybe not such a long shot after all.

Some info for others visiting Japan without a prepaid pass.

When you want to take a local train to another destination in or around the city it can be quite daunting, especially the first few times, trying to work out the cost and buy the right ticket.

Best advice i was given was to simply buy the cheapest/minimum cost ticket then when you arrive at your destination station hand your ticket over to the station desk clark and he will ask
you to pay the required extra amount. No fuss a real time saver.

samurai_x
02-28-2017, 05:04 AM
Best advice i was given was to simply buy the cheapest/minimum cost ticket then when you arrive at your destination station hand your ticket over to the station desk clark and he will ask
you to pay the required extra amount. No fuss a real time saver.

You can buy a pasmo or suica card that's pretty common in japan and use it on ticket gates when you enter. No need to do anything. You can reload at the station, too.
You can also use it to pay at convenient stores.
For Philbert, he could use that after the 7 day jrpass expires.

papou
02-28-2017, 01:45 PM
> "... lol I didn't plan the trip though."

Ouh! Plan it! it is better to plan as much as you can when you travel in Japan. Especially in japan holydays. (spring and Obon)

About train, for me, travel in Japan with small train to small cities is a better experience than rushing with Shinkansen.

But for a first 15 days travel, Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka is the way to go.

Mount Fuji... not sure. I tryed 2 times. Never see it. Cloudy. I think there is no Fujisan. it's CG.

I agree Googlemap is your friend when you are walking. Be sure to have somes Gigas on your phone. Pocket PC is not really good in my opinion.

burger: if you want a burger, try Mos.

Ah, try to find Fujio Ichikawa, we need him to fix somes scripts. ^^

itterashai!

freerange
03-29-2017, 05:11 PM
A "must see" in Tokyo is the Studio Ghibli Museum. There is a good Viator Tour for that;

https://www.viator.com/tours/Tokyo/Tokyo-Studio-Ghibli-Museum-Afternoon-Tour/d334-2142TYO_F600

Tokyo Skytree can be tricky because the weather is not always favorable for great views (just like Fuji) but the Asakusa area is great for Senso-ji Temple.

A Hop On Hop Off multiday bus pass is always a good cheap way of getting around Tokyo with plenty of stops, including Tokyo Tower and Skytree - can be purchased thru Expedia.

Kamakura is great can be easily reached by train from Shinjuki station.

enjoy!

samurai_x
04-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Are they teaching you how to speak proper english? :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olNsk0U7plA&list=PLssW_NKJriYWlXqOek-PsJVN93ISzXRJ7

Philbert
04-13-2017, 06:55 AM
> "... lol I didn't plan the trip though."

Ouh! Plan it! it is better to plan as much as you can when you travel in Japan. Especially in japan holydays. (spring and Obon)

About train, for me, travel in Japan with small train to small cities is a better experience than rushing with Shinkansen.

But for a first 15 days travel, Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka is the way to go.

Mount Fuji... not sure. I tryed 2 times. Never see it. Cloudy. I think there is no Fujisan. it's CG.

I agree Googlemap is your friend when you are walking. Be sure to have somes Gigas on your phone. Pocket PC is not really good in my opinion.

burger: if you want a burger, try Mos.

Ah, try to find Fujio Ichikawa, we need him to fix somes scripts. ^^

itterashai!

When I said I didn't plan it I meant that my friends planned it, not me.
We went to Fuji-san and it was rainy that day but we could just barely see the top, but we had fun in the nearby town anyway.

One friend and I did go to Mos Burger but we didn't care for it much. The best burger I had was the McDonalds Teriyaki Burger

A "must see" in Tokyo is the Studio Ghibli Museum. There is a good Viator Tour for that;

https://www.viator.com/tours/Tokyo/Tokyo-Studio-Ghibli-Museum-Afternoon-Tour/d334-2142TYO_F600

Tokyo Skytree can be tricky because the weather is not always favorable for great views (just like Fuji) but the Asakusa area is great for Senso-ji Temple.

A Hop On Hop Off multiday bus pass is always a good cheap way of getting around Tokyo with plenty of stops, including Tokyo Tower and Skytree - can be purchased thru Expedia.

Kamakura is great can be easily reached by train from Shinjuki station.

enjoy!

We did go to the Ghibli museum my friend got us all tickets like a month in advance. He said it was really hard because the website wold sell out and crash minutes after they went on sale. Sadly no photos or video are allowed inside. And yeah, we did go to SkyTree but it was too cludy to even see the whole thing, In this pic you can see the lower part of it in purple.

Are they teaching you how to speak proper english? :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olNsk0U7plA&list=PLssW_NKJriYWlXqOek-PsJVN93ISzXRJ7

That was hilarious! I reshared the video on Twitter.

Here's the first edited video of the trip. I won't post them all here, but you can subscribe if you want to see more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKhpGzh4yqs

samurai_x
04-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Too bad it was cloudy in your trip.

Mosburger doesn't really have good ol US style burgers. They have good rice yakiniku burger. Its a bit unique not the typical ground beef burger on buns.

Subscribed to your videos

Philbert
04-14-2017, 03:58 AM
Not all of the trip was cloudy and rainy, just some. I may have ordered the wrong thing at Mos as well. I was just going by the pictures on the menu and what I thought was cheese was actually a ton of mayonnaise. The burger patty was different too though. Almost like a turkey burger.

bridgitjohnson
04-15-2017, 07:00 AM
Wow.. that's pretty nice when other people fund our holiday. But I heard Japan is really expensive when it comes to almost everything, like place to rest and other stuff. So you're definitely going to need a lot of cash before going to Japan.

samurai_x
04-16-2017, 06:07 AM
This is Mos yakiniku rice burger. They have Mosburger in Singapore if you ever go there. Not as good though.
https://www.tsunagujapan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/mos-rice-burger.jpg
For american style burgers, JS burger near shinjuku station is ok.

Saw your Himeji castle video. The place looked packed. Guess its the tourist season.
There's a viewing deck on the main train station where you can view Himeji castle across the road and take really cool pictures.

Philbert
04-29-2017, 08:18 AM
Here's a new video you guys might like. We visited Nara park near Kyoto where about 1200 deer roam free and are friendly so you can feed and pet them. Also in this video is a beautiful garden and Todai-ji temple which houses the whold's biggest bronze Buddha and some other cool stuff. Until 1993 this was the biggest wooden building in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnjnIpyXdHo

Mizar Monk
06-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Great tips : )