PDA

View Full Version : Ryzen and Lightwave performance?

Exclaim
02-26-2017, 09:46 AM
So Ryzen chips are on pre order, with a release for March 2nd. Cinebench scores the top processor at around 1600. Is there any reason why you shouldn't pick this one up for cpu rendering?

MichaelT
02-26-2017, 10:43 AM
Because those tests were run overclocked, where the Intel ones were at stock. I saw the demo myself. I don't trust any numbers until its in reviewers hands. That said, I hope they do get back into the ring.. because we as consumers need the competition. For me, I won't pick AMD up, because I used to repair computers, and by a very large margin.. AMDs were fried because the cooling was poor. That rarely ever happens with Intels. For that reason I'm sticking with Intel. You get what you pay for after all. A chip cannot be that much cheaper, unless they've cut some corners along the way.

Paul_Boland
02-26-2017, 12:49 PM
I too am an Intel fan. It's been shown in tests that Intel are faster at rendering performance over AMD. Having said that, I am impressed at the AMD chips and their price so I hope this competition will see Intel chips drop in price.

jwiede
02-26-2017, 05:17 PM
For me, I won't pick AMD up, because I used to repair computers, and by a very large margin.. AMDs were fried because the cooling was poor.

Were you seeing that with pre-K5/pre-Bulldozer CPUs? Or with more recent designs (and if so, which design)?

Oldcode
02-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Hey Guys,

I also fix computers and have been using AMD at work and at home and never had a problem. You just have to make sure you install the cooling system correctly. Every system I've ever built for myself over the last 15 years has been AMD based and I've never had an issue with it. I did have one system die, no POST, but that was after 6 years so I think it lasted a fair amount of time, and I'm don't even know if it was the processor was the thing that died.

I always get AMD because even though they've never been as fast as an equivalent Intel, the price difference makes it a no brainer. I get much more CPU bang for my buck with AMDs.

That said, I'd love to get a Ryzen based system. I already have one with 8 cores, but I'm hoping the CPU speed and other improvement would make the thing smoke! :D

samurai_x
02-26-2017, 07:52 PM
I hope amd got this one right and not another bulldozer.
Intel needs competition.
There hasn't been since athlonxp. Everything they made since has been power hungry, inefficient, thermally inferior compared to the Intel chips.

MichaelT
02-27-2017, 03:13 AM
Were you seeing that with pre-K5/pre-Bulldozer CPUs? Or with more recent designs (and if so, which design)?

That AMD is handling high temperature worse than Intel isn't a secret. I know of one model that even shipped with water cooling included, because it runs so hot (I think it was a 95xx something FX model) But to answer your question, It was many years ago.. so no.. no model that is relevant today. But a quick search on Google (which I did just now) just shows that this isn't something that have gone away. AMD is still handling temperatures poorly. But like I said earlier, I really do want them to succeed. Intel is sitting way to comfortably up there on its throne.

jwiede
02-27-2017, 08:40 AM
That AMD is handling high temperature worse than Intel isn't a secret. I know of one model that even shipped with water cooling included, because it runs so hot (I think it was a 95xx something FX model) But to answer your question, It was many years ago.. so no.. no model that is relevant today. But a quick search on Google (which I did just now) just shows that this isn't something that have gone away. AMD is still handling temperatures poorly. But like I said earlier, I really do want them to succeed. Intel is sitting way to comfortably up there on its throne.

There's a huge difference between "running hot" and "frying itself due to heat". The latter requires an absence of "thermal safety shutdown" functionality. All recent K5-based (and more recent) AMD CPUs have extensive "thermal safety shutdown" provisions explicitly to prevent the latter.

Norka
02-27-2017, 09:27 AM
I was an AMD man for many years, and only recently switched to Intel i7 in my current workstation. I had some dual Opterons and Athlons, and they were all excellent workstations. Competition is crucial and I am so glad AMD is still competing and keeping Intel in check. May AMD always give Intel (and nVidia) a good run for their money.

Snosrap
02-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Intel is sitting way to comfortably up there on its throne.

Not exactly - they are getting killed in the phone chip market. :)

Exclaim
02-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Looks like they may have redeemed themselves to those who left them. I've always had success with them. That render speed for the price is undeniable....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/02/21/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-performance-leak-faster-than-intel-core-i7-5960x/#3fda6557d030

Strider_X
02-27-2017, 11:45 AM
I think AMD challenge is for real again, just think about it 8 cores 16 threads at 65 watts for $329

And Intel slashed there prices on Sunday

Dan Ritchie
02-27-2017, 01:20 PM
Anymore, I just let the CPU do the overclocking with turbo boost. Haven't had any CPU problems in 15 years.

MichaelT
02-27-2017, 03:56 PM
There's a huge difference between "running hot" and "frying itself due to heat". The latter requires an absence of "thermal safety shutdown" functionality. All recent K5-based (and more recent) AMD CPUs have extensive "thermal safety shutdown" provisions explicitly to prevent the latter.

Well, I've seen an AMD CPU literally fry if that is something you absolutely need to hear. Just some two years ago too. :/ I fail to see how that changes anything though. AMD handles high temperature worse than Intel. No matter how you decide to look at it, that fact is still the same. Now, I would like that Ryzen doesn't have this weakness. I would like that they compete on a level field. Because I like competition. To me it sounds more like you're having an AMD yourself, and you got touchy about that? :)

I run my Intel i7-6900K at 4.0 Ghz on air cooling, at lowest fan speed (300 rpm), and at full load at half speed (reaches ~90 degrees C) Now.. let's see AMD Ryzen do the same. Yes, I have a good heat cooler unit. And no, it only reaches that speed, because I set the curve that way. If it goes over 95, the fall will go full speed. But that haven't happened yet. But I will switch to water later, they just didn't have any in when I got the cooler.

Norka
02-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Are you aware that air cooling is vastly inferior to water cooling? Even in a Scandinavian county, I certainly would not be without my AIO and hybrid GPUs. It's not a preference thing, for me -- it comes down to thermodynamics, economics, and enjoyment of near dead silence coming from my workstation...

Schwyhart
02-27-2017, 04:38 PM
This is the first time in about a decade where I've thought I might build a PC again. I've used a Mac for a long time, but with no Mac Pro updates (and to be honest, the 2013 upgrade was stupid) I'm actually looking to get back to using a PC.
I put one together using the new AMD stuff on newegg.com and for a very nice machine it'll only cost $1,600-$1,700.
For about the same specs on a Mac would run me about $4,000.

MichaelT
02-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Are you aware that air cooling is vastly inferior to water cooling? Even in a Scandinavian county, I certainly would not be without my AIO and hybrid GPUs. It's not a preference thing, for me -- it comes down to thermodynamics, economics, and enjoyment of near dead silence coming from my workstation...

Uh? Yes?? I did mention why I didn't use water in the post. And not that it matters, but this time is the first time in 15 years, I've used anything but water :)

As for silence.. that doesn't matter. I live next to a (quite literally) crazy neighbour. Who screams her heart out like once or twice per day (in periods.. not 24/7) Sad really.

MichaelT
02-27-2017, 05:05 PM
This is the first time in about a decade where I've thought I might build a PC again. I've used a Mac for a long time, but with no Mac Pro updates (and to be honest, the 2013 upgrade was stupid) I'm actually looking to get back to using a PC.
I put one together using the new AMD stuff on newegg.com and for a very nice machine it'll only cost $1,600-$1,700.

I'm actually considering getting that absolute minimum mac spec, required to build apps for appstore. I won't spend a single dollar more than needed for that. It is not that I dislike mac, I just hate having to get one.. to compile to a platform that isn't even used for the mac.

Norka
02-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Sorry Mike. Missed that.. or we were both editing post at same time.

Exclaim
02-27-2017, 05:50 PM

Mac is a quality product, but I came to the same conclusion you did. I'm surprised Ryzen chips aren't being marked as heavily to content creators.

samurai_x
02-27-2017, 08:02 PM
https://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=474065&d=1488240009

some early benchmarks.
cinebench mt for ryzen looks good.

MichaelT
02-28-2017, 05:40 AM
The 6800K is 6 core though.

samurai_x
02-28-2017, 09:29 AM
The 6800K is 6 core though.

Cost and performance is the only thing that matters to me. It could have two cores but if its faster, rcheaper and durable I would buy it than the intel brand.
Lets hope AMD has done its job this time.

samurai_x
03-06-2017, 12:53 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/18

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph11170/85875.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph11170/85881.png

Awesome numbers. And 45w less than I7 6900k
The 1700 ryzan for $329 is a sweet deal. 65watt tdp.