PDA

View Full Version : Any idead how to model this?

gpktm
02-24-2017, 06:08 AM
Hi all

In the past I did model a grill with a honeycomb shape and some slots, it was though on a curved surface so they way I did it was to design it on a flat plane and the use the Bend tool to curve the whole thing. Now I have a kinda random surface where I need to apply this and I don't know how to make it to follow the shape of the surface.

Spinland
02-24-2017, 06:20 AM
Depending on how steep are the angles, could you get away with a quick-and-dirty extrude and drill?

gpktm
02-24-2017, 06:27 AM
Depending on how steep are the angles, could you get away with a quick-and-dirty extrude and drill?

I didn't clearly understand to be honest. I've uploaded a sample if you want to give it a go. The honeyconb things must follow the shape curvature of the surface in Layer 1. Don't worry about the excess material that is sticking, that is something I can easily cut.

TheLexx
02-24-2017, 06:34 AM
I can't see your LW file on this machine, but your requirement seems to be describing 3D Sticker (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4N5sgBbvUw#t=21s)plugin from 3rd Powers.

Norka
02-24-2017, 06:36 AM
I was just going to post that! Go buy 3RD Powers 3D Sticker right now! Mine paid for itself in first 20 minutes of use.

Spinland
02-24-2017, 06:38 AM
I'd add an endorsement for that plugin, myself. My original idea was if the need were simple and a quick cheat would get the job done.

Always, always get 3rd Powers' stuff if you can, they are Da Bomb. :rock:

gpktm
02-24-2017, 06:45 AM
It seems is what I need. Thanks.

samurai_x
02-24-2017, 06:48 AM
I would do this with textures if its not really extreme closeups.

Kryslin
02-24-2017, 08:45 AM
I agree with Samurai_x; textures if you don't need a close up shot of it, otherwise 3rd Powers 3D sticker to conform geometry like this to an object.

Surrealist.
02-24-2017, 08:56 AM
Textures are ideal and can also be used to displace. But they can cause another set of technical issues depending on the model. Not the least of which is a good clean UV Map.

But also - again depending on the model - consider other tricks. Such as creating a morph target. (The texture could be projected on a planar basis on the base model) And also modeling flat and then using something like Dragnet.

For me I would not be able to say anything definitive until I had seen the shape you wanted to make in the end.

There are a number of tricks you could use once that is first defined.

erikals
02-24-2017, 11:30 AM
not an optimized workflow, but i think you are looking for something like this >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usl6cBHBtqg

ASCIISkull
02-24-2017, 07:19 PM
If the surface can be unfolded, you could model the pattern flat on top of the unfolded shape and conform it to the deformed version using metalink.

bobakabob
02-25-2017, 02:33 AM
Model just the first 2 upper left joined hexagons (by rotating the initial hexagons equally and then bridging the gap).

Then array clone and weld points automatically. If you had LWCad you could do the cloning with much greater precision as it's interactive.

jeric_synergy
02-25-2017, 12:31 PM
If the surface can be unfolded, you could model the pattern flat on top of the unfolded shape and conform it to the deformed version using metalink.
#aflw
Yeah, you could pick points off the random surface, make a matrix/grid, then metalink that to a flat-ish sculpted surface with your details and metalink it.

It all depends on how much distortion results from the metalink process, I'm assuming you need to preserve the openings in your surface.

Excellent puzzle.

djwaterman
02-25-2017, 05:25 PM
I think the 3rd Powers plugin is the best option since it really conforms to a surface and doesn't flatten the shape. I had quite a bit of luck with the TC lattice plugin. I got very close and probably could've gotten it very close if I had positioned the two sections at 90 degrees to begin with so that the lattice properly conformed to the shape. It's a free plugin.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/contains/tc%20lattice/

However that expensive 3rd Powers sticker looks to be the ultimate solution.

Prince Charming
02-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Native meta link will work great for this.