PDA

View Full Version : room lighting techniques

injacphi
02-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Hello all,

Someone can show how to have this kind of result with the layout? Is there any light setup I can use?

spherical
02-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Only way I've ever used is to model the cyclorama, set area or DP Flood lights for the left and right, DP Flood with narrow cone angle at center and an area for the overhead; just like in the shot.

MUCUS
02-24-2017, 03:12 AM
Agree with spherical: if you managed to model everything you have in the scene here ... your render and reflections are going to be be really good :) one important point is to have light (as area light (oh by the way, I never try Flood light, thank you spherical!) matching your scene model, so, luminous poly/objects for every light source.

erikals
02-24-2017, 11:35 AM
might be of use...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv-OwTJFcxI

Stardust
03-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Thnx Erik!

Stardust
03-10-2017, 07:52 PM
What is the difference between using actual lights and luminous polys?

djwaterman
03-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Luminous polys are only useful if you are using GI, which you probably would in a studio type situation, with radiosity they basically act as a light source, not really directional, think of them as soft lighting or fill light. Also, you should look into DPKIt's custom lights. http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/lights/Additional_Lights.html. You should look at all those DPkit lights actually.

Custom lights emit light from geometry you create, so they can be any shape and are great to fill a room with soft diffuse brightness or specific light shapes to put around practical lamps that are in the scene. This house below is lit from inside with a single custom light that was built as one object of blocks of geometry placed in all the various rooms, and the outside lamp on the wall is using a custom light to create to create the light spill on the wall.

Danner
03-11-2017, 04:49 AM
An area light will give you nicer shadows and contribute to the specularity but will not be reflected by materiales, A large luminous polygon will render much faster, will show up in reflections but not in specularity.

erikals
03-11-2017, 04:54 AM
yes, i found that in the LightWave render, quality of the luminous polys sometimes just don't cut it.

in Octane, they do.

so a bit different behavior in LW vs Octane.

Stardust
03-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Thank you!