PDA

View Full Version : Outsourcing Sections of LW Next Code... Is there a way for NT to do this?

robertoortiz
02-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Hi to all,
I guess we all can agree that we wish that when LW next is finally released
it is production ready.
But considering the scale of the project I was wondering if it would be even possible for a NT to either
"open source" or "outsource" problematic sections of the new code.

For better or for worse, this approach has worked well for the Blender community.

I am looking forward to your comments.

-R

MichaelT
02-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Lino already stated that the new version is literally within months away.

Nicolas Jordan
02-22-2017, 10:21 AM
I think they would likely outsource certain parts of development already to some extent. It will be interesting to see what 2 years of development will give us since that's what we might be using for the next 2 years.

Snosrap
02-22-2017, 10:41 AM
It's basically outsourced already considering the dev team is scattered all over the world and they each have their own areas of LW they specialize in. Sure they could add additional devs, but they cost money. Also I would guess that a lot of coders that are familiar with LW don't want to work for someone other than themselves - think Worley, Hurley, Sensei, Denis P, etc., etc.. According to the website they are still in need of a modeling engineer after what- 3 years? :)

Marander
02-22-2017, 11:26 AM
But considering the scale of the project I was wondering if it would be even possible for a NT to either
"open source" or "outsource" problematic sections of the new code.

First of all outsource and open source have nothing to do with each other except the word source (which in one case refers to the people and in the other to the code). Outsourcing the development of a commercial software or a part of it requires a lot of coordination. Making part of the application open source can be tricky or impossible because of the closed source dependencies. And open source means it remains open source (for example under GPL). Otherwise it's closed source with some NDA between the involved parties.

Of course components like plugins (which use existing API or interfaces) can be developed by 3rd party independently / isolated but not core components. Coding, debugging and compiling requires many (if not all) parts of the code and libraries, otherwise there are countless dependency errors. And normally a central code / project repository like github is used, otherwise development is tedious for all parties.

Blender is completely open source, it cannot be compared to commercial / closed source software development.

tischbein3
02-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Agree 100% with Marander, and just releasing the source will not magically fix
things, you need to invest a lot of resources to coordinate it, and it would still be a hit and miss
situation. (Just look at the amount of code wich is rejected from blenders development)

Years ago, newtek made the wavefilter plugin code aviable, wich didn't found any traction / incentitive
to develop it further / update it to the new architecture by others in public.

bazsa73
02-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Geez guys, speculation IS good, zizn't?

sadkkf
02-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Lino already stated that the new version is literally within months away.

Crap. I missed that. When did that happen?

sadkkf
02-22-2017, 02:38 PM
It's basically outsourced already considering the dev team is scattered all over the world and they each have their own areas of LW they specialize in.

I'm not sure physical location has anything to do with this. If these people are on the payroll to maintain specific functions and blocks of code, that's not outsourcing. I see outsourcing as hiring an individual or team who isn't part of the normal development process.

hrgiger
02-22-2017, 05:26 PM
I really don't see how it would benefit LW3DG to release source code. The true problematic sections of code are the foundations, especially when we're still dealing with a wonky bridge between two applications.

samurai_x
02-22-2017, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure physical location has anything to do with this. If these people are on the payroll to maintain specific functions and blocks of code, that's not outsourcing. I see outsourcing as hiring an individual or team who isn't part of the normal development process.

Callcenters and dev teams in india are on the payroll under the same company in the states.
Its still called outsourcing. Will Prez Trump bring back the jobs that americans lost? :D :D

dballesg
02-23-2017, 01:19 AM
Years ago, newtek made the wavefilter plugin code aviable, wich didn't found any traction / incentitive
to develop it further / update it to the new architecture by others in public.

A lot of people looked into it. I know Mike Wolf did it. The problem it was a series of plugins programmed in C and VisualBasic if I remember correctly. The code was a bit messy. And I think the author didn't opensourced one of the nicest things from WaveFilter that was it's fast antialiaising and DOF plugins.

tischbein3
02-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Yes this defintive had some impact, but I'm stil not convinced that open sourcing additional plugins (I don't expect that they open source modeler or layout...too much intelectual property going on in these) would really push lw's development further....but hey, I might be wrong on this, wouldn't be the first time ;)

MichaelT
02-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Crap. I missed that. When did that happen?

Edit: or a few more days ago :) But here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?151777-Come-on-LWG3D-show-us-some-nuggets!&p=1499087#post1499087