PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2015.3 and Windows 10

gamedesign1
02-21-2017, 01:58 AM
Hi All

I am about to upgrade to Windows 10 and I thought I would ask if any of you guys have had any issues with Lightwave 2105.3 and Windows 10 before I do it :)
Thanks

kopperdrake
02-21-2017, 04:18 AM
None whatsoever for me here, and this machine was upgraded from 7 Pro to 10 Only thing is the borders in LW don't quite like to match up with the edge of the screen, but I vaguely remember tinkering with Windows' borders to make them reeeeeeally tiny.

gamedesign1
02-21-2017, 05:00 AM
None whatsoever for me here, and this machine was upgraded from 7 Pro to 10 Only thing is the borders in LW don't quite like to match up with the edge of the screen, but I vaguely remember tinkering with Windows' borders to make them reeeeeeally tiny.

That's great, thanks for the heads up :)

Stardust
02-21-2017, 06:46 AM
From what I hear:

One should install LW as Administrator and into c:/newtek/lightwave ... and NOT into C:/ProgramFiles/Newtek/Lightwave

kopperdrake
02-21-2017, 06:54 AM
I installed mine as Administrator, but I do that for everything anyway. However, it's in the default C:/Program Files/Newtek/LightWave_2015.3 directory and I haven't noticed any issues. I wonder why the advice is against that?

Kryslin
02-21-2017, 06:56 AM
Just be sure that immediately after you upgrade to win 10, update, at the very least, your networking and video drivers to the latest offered by your chipsets' providers. Also, update to the Anniversary Edition of Win10, and set up group policies for Windows Update and Delivery Optimization, so it doesn't choke your entire network's bandwidth when updating (guides are out there on the 'net, Windows Update / Delivery Optimization now follow them) windows. I had one other issue while upgrading that required enlarging the hidden system partition, so in case you run into it, back up the entire drive.

Besides that, It's been a fairly smooth road with Win10 and Lightwave.

Kopperdrake : It's to deal with pesky UAC messages.

gamedesign1
02-24-2017, 05:02 AM
Thanks for your replies guys :)

tburbage
02-24-2017, 11:52 AM
I had no significant issues other than that it seems now impossible to get panels to come up on screen precisely where you want them, and I finally gave up on my old practice with Modeler of aligning some panels e.g. Statistics down the right side. That might have actually started with Win8, I don't recall.

They also made it harder to customize the appearance of windows, e.g. title height, border width, etc., but some configurability is still possible via themes.

MichaelT
02-24-2017, 11:54 AM
I had no significant issues other than that it seems now impossible to get panels to come up on screen precisely where you want them, and I finally gave up on my old practice with Modeler of aligning some panels e.g. Statistics down the right side. That might have actually started with Win8, I don't recall.

They also made it harder to customize the appearance of windows, e.g. title height, border width, etc., but some configurability is still possible via themes.

Are you using a computer with a touch screen? I'm only asking because I too had similar problem om my surface pro. I had to change how LW handles input if I recall correctly.

imshadi
03-14-2019, 02:35 PM
Hi All

I am about to upgrade to Windows 10 and I thought I would ask if any of you guys have had any issues with Lightwave 2105.3 and Windows 10 before I do it :)
Thanks

I had to reformat my computer. After I did, it was left a number of days without me installing anything on it, but it did updates. Now, when I try installing Lightwave I get an error on the installer (VisualStudio 2008) and now my installation does not finish!

raymondtrace
03-14-2019, 04:21 PM
Your installation may be bombing because it looks like you've got two different installers running: LightWave and Lightshot. Try one at a time.