PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly Layout opened up!!.

cove
02-19-2017, 04:08 PM
I was promted by an image provided by erikals on this thread-----

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152881-Polys-with-less-than-2-vertices

to write about an issue i have from time to time.

On the top right of both modeler and layout are a group of icons
Translate/zoom/rotate amongst others.

While going back and forth selecting Translate zoom or rotate i find
every now and then you click on the wrong button and you suddenly find
your now in layout or your perspective view has gone full screen.
Or worse you have clicked on the close option [X]
Im shore most of you have experienced this.

I had a think about this issue to see if there was a way to resolve it.
Moving the Translate/zoom/rotate icons over to the left about an inch seemed ideal but would just look odd and out of place.

Then thought of a way that maybe feasable.

If there was added to the left of the Translate/zoom/rotate icons an extra small button that when clicked on the other 3 icons would drop down about quarter of an inch. Something like a dropdown panel does.
If you click on this same small icon again it closes the icons panel.
You could even have in preferences the option to have the tabs at the lower position by default.

Seemed a reasonable idea so sent an email to tech support to see what they think of my suggestion.
Tech support said they would send the idea to the development team for them to check out.
Like any idea put to the dev team you don,t here anything back.
So will have to wait till "Next" is released to see if they have inplimented my suggestion.
"Next" could come with the facility to use Translate/zoom/rotate via the mouse buttons/scroll wheel we will have to wait and see.
If you care to comment then please do.

erikals
02-19-2017, 04:21 PM

good point, an option could be >

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136052&d=1487546451

thumbnail

erikals
02-19-2017, 04:26 PM
alternative 2

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136053&d=1487546786

thumbnail

wingzeta
02-19-2017, 09:11 PM
You can do those things with the mouse. Hit d for display options, Interface tab, check Mouse wheel zoom. (Alt click) will orbit, (alt + shift click) will move, and just (alt click_ will move in orthographic views. They could better utilize the middle mouse wheel click to move, but that is not an option as far as I know. If you have a mouse with modifier buttons, you can assign one to alt, and then not need the keyboard as much. BTW the orbit is a little wonky when done this way, so I use the little icon for that more often in the perspective view.

I like the switch to layout in the upper corner, because it is easy to get to, but I have made that inadvertent switch from time to time myself. There are a bunch of other things I'd rather they fix first, but more importantly hopefully the day will come, when that button wherever it is, simply switches "work spaces", and not to a separate program.:devil:

Danner
02-20-2017, 01:08 AM
...While going back and forth selecting Translate zoom or rotate i find
Im shore most of you have experienced this...

I don't think this has ever happened to me in 25 years I've been using Lightwave, but I never use those icons, I always rotate zoom and pan using alt, alt-ctrl and alt-shift.

magiclight
02-20-2017, 02:08 AM
They are pretty much useless anyway, you can't drag up or right very much until you run out of screen space anyway so I always use ctl+alt/alt/shift+alt instead.

cove
02-20-2017, 06:28 AM
Thanks for comments.

Not to keen on using to many keystrokes so never got used to using-----

"(Alt click) will orbit, (alt + shift click) will move, and just (alt click_ will move"

Another reason why i avoid certain keystrokes is that just like some people can develope painfull issues in there hands through constant repeated actions
i have a similar issue with my forearms as they can fatigue all to easily sometimes through over use.
I have Cervical spondylosis which affects my neck and a side effect is it also effects my forearms
When using my computer my right arm has no significant issue as your just pushing a mouse mostly with small movements.
But using my left arm/hand. to constantly select "alt" keys strokes
would, it being an exta layer of activity, could fatigue my arms to often.
But do not worry with a few adjustments in the way i use my computer
i can use my computer comfortably all day long.

If i remember right there was a thread some time ago that dealt with
hands pains.
Did not think to add my own experience to the thread it being much less common.
Anyway will try the keystrokes mentioned and see if i can get used to them for accasional use.

Danner
02-20-2017, 07:47 AM
Sorry to hear about your condition. Try to find a comfortable position for your hand and you'll notice that after you get used to the navigation it is less tiring to do it two handed like that. I have a 10 year old tablet that has a spot that is noticeably worn out, It matches the perspective window in modeler, seems I navigate the view a lot more than I thought.

prometheus
02-20-2017, 11:48 AM

Canīt really agree with such Issue, in fact I can not recall a single moment where I accidently hit the x for closing lightwave modeler, not a single moment where I clicked the drop down send to layout ..(itīs not a button so you need to click select it) instead of the others, if I accidently hit maximize viewport? not sure..itīs not big deal since you really just need to click that button again to restore the viewports.
If you also learn to use the mouse and shortcuts to orbit, pan and zoom, there would be less and less occasions when you will go wrong.

It all may be personal how accurate you move your mouse cursor maybe..so what doesnīt affect me may be troublesome for you of course, I on the other hand constantly hit envelope buttons when I want to set values, since the "e" button is so/too close the value sliders so I accidently a lot of times enter a value in the envelope unfortunately, so I rather see the envelope put somewhere else in the future, I think modo has changed that to be on the left slide so you can not by accident go wrong.

cove
02-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your condition. Try to find a comfortable position for your hand and you'll notice that after you get used to the navigation it is less tiring to do it two handed like that. I have a 10 year old tablet that has a spot that is noticeably worn out, It matches the perspective window in modeler, seems I navigate the view a lot more than I thought.

Thanks for kind words and advice.
Ive had my health issue for 20 years and im well used to how to make the best of things. Just have to avoid certain repeat actions when ever possible.

erikals
02-20-2017, 02:21 PM
regarding the original subject,

it's quite a valid point when using a Wacom pen.

cove
02-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Canīt really agree with such Issue, in fact I can not recall a single moment where I accidently hit the x for closing lightwave modeler, not a single moment where I clicked the drop down send to layout ..(itīs not a button so you need to click select it) instead of the others, if I accidently hit maximize viewport? not sure..itīs not big deal since you really just need to click that button again to restore the viewports.
If you also learn to use the mouse and shortcuts to orbit, pan and zoom, there would be less and less occasions when you will go wrong.

It all may be personal how accurate you move your mouse cursor maybe..so what doesnīt affect me may be troublesome for you of course, I on the other hand constantly hit envelope buttons when I want to set values, since the "e" button is so/too close the value sliders so I accidently a lot of times enter a value in the envelope unfortunately, so I rather see the envelope put somewhere else in the future, I think modo has changed that to be on the left slide so you can not by accident go wrong.

Hi prometheus

"constantly hit envelope buttons when I want to set values, since the "e" button is so/too close"

The main point i was trying to get a across and you have hit it on the nail with part of your reply is that the top right collections of icons
are so tightly nested together and its so easy to hit the wrong icon when your working fast.

Not really a big issue though as ive only hit the wrong icon about 8 times in the last 2 years. But i have hit the close [X] button twice.
Now that,s a gut wrenching experience but fortunately nothing important was lost.

It was the image that erikals posted that just reminded me of the issue
i had accassionally and thought id do a wright up about it and possibly
have other suggestion as to how to get around the tight grouping of the icons.

erikals
02-20-2017, 03:07 PM
this should fix it, and honestly i like this better >
there could be a poll for voting yes/no i guess.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136053&d=1487546786

erikals
02-20-2017, 03:11 PM
poll > vote, yes or no

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152903-Lightwave-UI-small-change

gerry_g
02-20-2017, 03:48 PM
why anyone would ever dream of using those widgets is beyond me, save for the poor guy above with his unfortunate condition, still there are many types of foot operated usb micro switches that can be pre programmed to replace keyboard modifier commands for the physically impaired, here's one on the English Amazon site for example and I've seen many more elsewhere https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Foot-Switch-Keyboard-Pedal/dp/B008MU0TBU . When I get flu my left shoulder and upper arm is prone to ache and its really hard work doing long stints at the computer so I know to some extent how he feels

MichaelT
02-20-2017, 03:56 PM
@cove: Ouch.. that doesn't sound very good at all. But I understand that you already know whats best for you. I would like to wish for your recovery, but I honestly don't have a clue if that is even a realistic wish :/ I just hate it when people suffer.

cove
02-21-2017, 03:41 AM
Thanks for a few more sympathetic replies here much appreciated.
But im not "such an unfortunate poor guy" really as i do live a normal
happy life and drive a 12 year old car.
My condition has more a nuiscence value than anything else.
Like my car im getting on a bit and well past my sell by date [retired].
Although im not in need of "foot operated usb micro switches"/gerry_g
its good to know there is this kind of assistance available.

Anyway my original intention in mentioning my health issue was not to draw out the kind of remarks made but simply to give enphesis to the
icon grouping issue.

I have actually started to try and get used to using the "alt" keystrokes feels a bit awkward at the moment but ill see how its goes.

prometheus
02-21-2017, 04:00 AM
Hi prometheus

"constantly hit envelope buttons when I want to set values, since the "e" button is so/too close"

The main point i was trying to get a across and you have hit it on the nail with part of your reply is that the top right collections of icons
are so tightly nested together and its so easy to hit the wrong icon when your working fast.

Not really a big issue though as ive only hit the wrong icon about 8 times in the last 2 years. But i have hit the close [X] button twice.
Now that,s a gut wrenching experience but fortunately nothing important was lost.

It was the image that erikals posted that just reminded me of the issue
i had accassionally and thought id do a wright up about it and possibly
have other suggestion as to how to get around the tight grouping of the icons.

Not entirely correct, I was refering to envelope keys being so close, sure the orbit/rotate/pan/maximize is close as well..but I do not work in the speed of speedy gonzales when I use them there...
so I donīt agree completly, to some extent maybe, but you really have to know your surroundings sometimes and where you may work fast and where you may need to be more careful, ideally we would like to be like the flash all over the place I guess:)

The thing is..I havenīt come across the issues you describe when working with the orbit, rotate and pan icons or closing lightwave, just because they happen to be so close..and If you are working fast, the thing is I know there is a close button at that corner and you do not simply fly around at superspeed clicking around to accidently close it, and If I need to work fast with those functions..I simply do it with my shortcuts where I can work faster with those functions...Occasionally I use them to show things when recording or simply take it easy and move around any object..thus it is no problem what so ever for me, and if I would need to fast work send to layout..which you donīt do every second exactly I calmly go to send to layout, or hit the shortkeys for it if you want fast switch and send...
The point is, there is no need to work like speedy gonzales at that corner, if that need arise..simply use the shortcuts.
The value slider keys are a completly different thing in terms of how often I use them and what alternatives there are to change values, there is no alternatives to edit them and I use them often, ergo they shouldnīt be so easy to accidently
get the envelope keys instead.

Thatīs my take on it, my advice would be just to get custom to use the shortcuts instead of the icons ..then you wouldnīt have to worry about closing lightwave or sending to layout...and if you by any chance wants to show things with the icons..use them slower and not so fast.

Michael

cove
02-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Not entirely correct, I was refering to envelope keys being so close, sure the orbit/rotate/pan/maximize is close as well..but I do not work in the speed of speedy gonzales when I use them there...
so I donīt agree completly, to some extent maybe, but you really have to know your surroundings sometimes and where you may work fast and where you may need to be more careful, ideally we would like to be like the flash all over the place I guess:)

The thing is..I havenīt come across the issues you describe when working with the orbit, rotate and pan icons or closing lightwave, just because they happen to be so close..and If you are working fast, the thing is I know there is a close button at that corner and you do not simply fly around at superspeed clicking around to accidently close it, and If I need to work fast with those functions..I simply do it with my shortcuts where I can work faster with those functions...Occasionally I use them to show things when recording or simply take it easy and move around any object..thus it is no problem what so ever for me, and if I would need to fast work send to layout..which you donīt do every second exactly I calmly go to send to layout, or hit the shortkeys for it if you want fast switch and send...
The point is, there is no need to work like speedy gonzales at that corner, if that need arise..simply use the shortcuts.
The value slider keys are a completly different thing in terms of how often I use them and what alternatives there are to change values, there is no alternatives to edit them and I use them often, ergo they shouldnīt be so easy to accidently
get the envelope keys instead.

Thatīs my take on it, my advice would be just to get custom to use the shortcuts instead of the icons ..then you wouldnīt have to worry about closing lightwave or sending to layout...and if you by any chance wants to show things with the icons..use them slower and not so fast.

Michael

Appreciate your defining what you actually meant but there was sufficient in the quoted line that i used for me to use it just by way of a comparison to backup my statement.

Quote.
"there is no need to work like speedy gonzales at that corner"

Yes ive learned my lesson over time to slow down after clicking the wrong icon. The gap between clicking the wrong icons has got ever longer.