PDA

View Full Version : Upraded LW11 to 2015.3 and it is extremely slow

DelendaMaximus
02-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Hi all,

Just upgraded to LW2015.3 and LW is extremely slow to respond:

Modeler: draw a box, press y, press n, type 30.0 - press Apply Finally, after ~18secs, the box rotates.

Details:
Win10 Pro 64bit on a Intel i7-6700 @2.67Ghz with 16Gb of mem
Video = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M

LW Support had me change Nvidia to High Performance (no change) and then ask you kind folks for suggestions...

Thanks in advance,
DM

hrgiger
02-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Something else is going on, its not modeler in this case. That should be a pretty much instant operation.

Greenlaw
02-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Yes, that doesn't sound right at all. I haven't seen any performance degradation between 11 and 2015.x here.

Just to be sure, do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed?

vonpietro
02-18-2017, 04:56 PM
just experienced this actually -
Its nvidia - they upadated thier drivers and it broke modeler. I had to switch to integrated graphics for it to work again, as when i switch back to my graphics card (a laptop geofroce)
it just gets super slugygy -- but layout works just fine odd.

I can't revert either there was no option that i could find.
+(

its your display driver.

to fix - try integrated

Kryslin
02-18-2017, 05:08 PM
Having updated drivers for my 980ti in the last 48 hours, I just tried this, and I've got no performance lag. Not saying something isn't going on, because there is.

Something else that may be causing issues... Networking drivers. I was getting laggy performance across multiple applications - Lightwave, Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Office... It turned out to be my networking drivers. It would literally take 30 seconds for things clicked to register, or for things typed to appear. I would recommend finding your networking chipset manufacturer's latest drivers and updating them. This appears to be a problem with Win10, in general.

(While my system specs are in my sig, It should be noted that it is a desktop rig, not a laptop).

DelendaMaximus
02-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Switching to integrated graphics "fixed" it. Yay! back to work! I will let the LW Support folks know and maybe they can bug Nvidia to repair their upgrade.

Thanks to all,
DM

DelendaMaximus
02-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Here is a video I put up about a year ago showing some of our stuff we designed for the NASA ARM project - lotsa LW here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olRxl6yjMOA&t=209s
Cheers,
DM

Greenlaw
02-18-2017, 07:24 PM
...Something else that may be causing issues... Networking drivers. I was getting laggy performance across multiple applications - Lightwave, Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Office... It turned out to be my networking drivers.
You know, I recall exactly that happening to me when I upgraded to Windows 10 a year and a half ago or so. Whatever 'native' drivers it installed for my network really bogged down my wifi and ethernet. After I went to the vendor's website (in this case Intel,) and downloaded the latest drivers, everything was nice and speedy again.

@OP, I don't know if that would help Modeler in any way, but if you did a recent Windows 10 upgrade, you might want to manually update all your hardware drivers, not just video.

I haven't updated the video driver on my workstation lately...kinda hesitant to do that now, but maybe after I run a system back up first. Will let you know if Modeler slows down from the update.

vonpietro
02-18-2017, 08:12 PM
Glad it worked out - i was also surprised how robust my integraded graphics card is and can handle large models!!

=)

and back to work is what works =)

i spent about 3 hours trouble shooting that one.. arg.

MichaelT
02-19-2017, 01:38 AM
Works fine for me, with my nVidia cards, both desktop & laptop with the latest drivers.

vonpietro
02-19-2017, 01:50 PM
my video card in my laptop is now about 3 years old. Not sure why it stopped working with the newest driver update.

MichaelT
02-19-2017, 05:55 PM
Odd, the laptop I tested on is about 6 years old (My newer one got "stolen" by my son :devil: Hahaha) But still, strange that you have this issue.

vonpietro
02-19-2017, 08:11 PM
i thought so to - but was happy enough that it works with the integrated setting - I rarely have super heavy models in there anyways so its working just fine, and i dont have the issue in layout where i have hundreds of props in scenes sometimes so the graphics card is hodling up but just barely... Time to upgrade to a desktop with a 1080!!

Kryslin
02-20-2017, 09:58 AM
There's a thread down in the PC support area (I think) about building your own dual Xeon monster cheaply; I'm looking at that one for the summer.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152862-32-thread-monster-pc-for-a-few-bucks!!

vonpietro
02-20-2017, 11:04 AM
i'm going to go for the server one for 500 bucks for the 12 core farm.

and probably get a z800 and stick a 1080 in it, although i know a guy who had porblems doing that... I think they are solved if you get the z820.

Sensei
02-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Anybody tried turning on/off "wait for VBlank" prior changing drivers to see if it changes anything.. ?

DelendaMaximus
02-20-2017, 09:34 PM
All, Thanks so much for the assistance. The laptop is about a year old, was not being used for much. So, I made it my new workhorse for graphics (LW, Solidworks, Adobe, the lot).
I went to Intel and upgraded the network drivers and then to Nvidia and updated all of their drivers. The only reason that I didn't do it straightaway was that shortly after firing up the machine, Nvidia updated the drivers for me... and I thought that I was at the latest rev. Now, having updated the drivers, the machine runs high-performance graphics without any problems.
Thanks,
DM