PDA

View Full Version : RR Cam

Ryan Roye
02-14-2017, 07:12 PM
New plugin for Lightwave: RR Cam.

https://youtu.be/Kn7RA_s8lqo

Over the next day or two I'll be posting free tutorial videos that involve this tool, but the plugin is available now on the product page: http://www.liberty3d.com/store/tools/rr-cam/

jwiede
02-14-2017, 07:21 PM
"Lens" not "Lense" :D

Ryan Roye
02-14-2017, 07:24 PM
"Lens" not "Lense" :D

Oh fiddlesticks.

jwiede
02-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Oh fiddlesticks.

Yeah, I don't suppose that's an easily-changed string resource? Sorry, I debated not saying anything, but decided it was better to mention it.

Regardless, the plugin looks really neat!

wingzeta
02-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Looks really cool. This will make a lot of motion graphics jobs really easy, as so many of them revolve around targeting things with the camera. Look forward to seeing more.

Ryan Roye
02-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I don't suppose that's an easily-changed string resource? Sorry, debated not saying anything but figured better to let you know about it.

Its a 1 line fix, easy. I'll lump that fix into a few display updates that I have planned... one thing the user needs is to know when a selected item has sub-options, like as shown with changing targets via offset controllers. In this version the only way a user can know of its existence is from the promo video, I need to make this "pattern" more apparent.

djwaterman
02-14-2017, 10:32 PM
Looks really good Ryan, if I did more animation in LW this would be a no brain-er. It certainly looks useful for motion graphics, very well priced.

jeric_synergy
02-15-2017, 01:30 AM
Oh fiddlesticks.

LOL, that's a wonderfully mild expostulation.

Otterman
02-15-2017, 03:00 AM
Nice...Sure Target for lightwave!

allabulle
02-15-2017, 07:06 AM
Nice plugin.

Does it translate well when using Octane Cameras within LightWave?

Ryan Roye
02-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Does it translate well when using Octane Cameras within LightWave?

Yes, because this plugin only deals with motion. Furthermore, the plugin does not create any scene dependencies so if you give a scene file to someone else it isn't going to nag the user for missing plugin files; everything is self contained. The only thing that will be missing in a file you provide to someone else is the ability to easily select the various nulls/controllers without the scene editor, and create/remove/edit RR Cam constraint setups. otherwise everything works as before.

ianr
02-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Well Ryan,

Well done, are gonna throw in a Dolly sometime you can toggle?

It looks like you have channelling the Spirit of Mr.Freddy Young in there?
(A.C.E. Hitchcock & Lean.)

TheLexx
02-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Hi Ryan, I was just wondering if you achieved this in Python, and if your tutorial from Liberty3D covers that sort of ground. Very impressive.

Ma3rk
02-15-2017, 09:06 AM

Just what I was gonna say.

jwiede
02-15-2017, 10:42 AM

Yeah, kind of reminds me a bit of ScoobyCam Tools (C4D) as well. Add dolly, crane, and variable-steadycam support and it'd be almost the same.

Ryan Roye
02-15-2017, 11:14 AM
Well done, are gonna throw in a Dolly sometime you can toggle?

The spline can act as a dolly, and the position/rotation falloffs in place mean that you can fade into and out of its influence... unless you had something different in mind?

Hi Ryan, I was just wondering if you achieved this in Python, and if your tutorial from Liberty3D covers that sort of ground. Very impressive.

It most certainly does. Almost all of the functions in this tool operate based on the name of the RR Cam controls the user has selected, and there are conditionals that determine what to do if non-RR Cam controls are selected. Granted, it is hard to cover every conceivable detail about using Python and we are talking about an intro course, but it'll get you off the ground.

If one wanted to replicate a behavior similar to my scripts, the user has to know the following:

- Deep understanding of how Lightwave's constraint systems work. There are a lot of complex inter-connected rig setups that utilize both Lightwave constraints (in motion options) and expressions which are assigned and created relative to the user's selection.

- How to examine bits of text and chop them up to retrieve only the parts needed. For example:

MyVariable = "MyItem_ThisProperty"
print MyVariable
print MyVariable[:6] # Remove everything after the first 6 characters
print MyVariable[7:] # Remove everything before the first 7 characters

Output (in python console)
MyItem_ThisProperty
MyItem
ThisProperty

a very large chunk of the RR Cam tools are based on this concept at its core, and the cool thing about this approach is that it will work in every application that supports python, since nothing here is specific to a particular user interface.

Regardless, if you do end up picking up the Python learning content, feel free to hit me up if you are looking to achieve a particular goal, and I can at the very least point you in the right direction.

Marander
02-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Yeah, kind of reminds me a bit of ScoobyCam Tools (C4D) as well. Add dolly, crane, and variable-steadycam support and it'd be almost the same.

Yes nice plugin but another example of something that should be part of the base package. C4D includes various camera rigs like cranes, foot / hand / head / focus dynamics, dynamic re-parenting / re-targeting, multiple targets and paths, align to path / spline etc etc. all out of the box since many years.

allabulle
02-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Yes, because this plugin only deals with motion. Furthermore, the plugin does not create any scene dependencies so if you give a scene file to someone else it isn't going to nag the user for missing plugin files; everything is self contained. The only thing that will be missing in a file you provide to someone else is the ability to easily select the various nulls/controllers without the scene editor, and create/remove/edit RR Cam constraint setups. otherwise everything works as before.
Thanks for the clarification.
Fantastic, then. I'll buy it tonight.

TheLexx
02-15-2017, 12:47 PM
So helpful, thanks.

WilliamVaughan
02-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Sharp looking tool. Very cool!

toeknee
02-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Hey Ryan, this look great. I can guess that this might be a little early but do you have a price in mind?

MichaelT
02-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Hey Ryan, this look great. I can guess that this might be a little early but do you have a price in mind?

Since it is available now, right from their site: $29.95

raw-m
02-18-2017, 04:39 AM
How are those examples coming on, Ryan? :cool:

Ryan Roye
02-19-2017, 10:28 PM
How are those examples coming on, Ryan? :cool:

Longest "day or two" ever, heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKdH4PCwrI

Also, i've made some minor updates to the tools:

- Fixed error checking for target creation that did not work when multiple cameras were present in the scene

- Adjusted some itemshapes to have a "V" symbol whenever there are additional sub-options available (IE: Offset Controller, the "NewTarget" null, etc)

- Added new sub-options within add target mode that allows you to cycle all position or rotation keyframes by increments of +100 or -100. The purpose of this functionality is explained around the 10 minute mark of the video, but typically it is used after adding or removing targets.

raw-m
02-20-2017, 04:38 AM
Thanks Ryan, very interesting! Where do we get the updates from?

raw-m
02-20-2017, 05:32 AM
PS. at 10:10 when you're removing targets, what are you pressing? I can't get it to work!

PPS. I should add that I've been playing around with if for a couple of hours and, once setup, I'm impressed how flexible it is to move around! I've been jumping around the scene and making myself sick just like a Zack Snyder film!

Accessing the rotation and positioning timing in the Graph Editor is much more useful than doing by eye. Perhaps V2 could come with a setup helper? Some kind of GUI that will help order target and generate position nulls for each...?

Great start though, I'll be using it a lot :D

Ryan Roye
02-20-2017, 09:09 AM
Thanks Ryan, very interesting! Where do we get the updates from?

They are e-mailed to the address used when purchasing RR Tools. Let me know if you didn't get it.

No promises here, but I do agree that with a higher number of targets (say, 20-30 or so), a UI would be needed in order to cut down the workarounds or grunt work involved with editing and shuffling around that many targets.

As for the graph editor comment, do you mean having a function that invokes the bank rotation channels of all the controllers and automatically putting them in the graph editor for the user?

PS. at 10:10 when you're removing targets, what are you pressing? I can't get it to work!

Are you using the tool while the remove option is highlighted? It will remove the last target you added to the scene.

mummyman
02-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Very cool. Thanks!

raw-m
02-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Thanks Ryan. The GE was just an observation, I'm enjoying using it. Here's a little test:

https://youtu.be/AW1K2cO9JVs

https://youtu.be/AW1K2cO9JVs