PDA

View Full Version : NDI compatibility

AElli
02-13-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm looking at a PC board that has these specs....

Processor: Intel Cherry Trail Z8300 Quad Core 1.8GHz
Operation System: embedded Windows 10
Ram: 2GB DDR3L
GPU: Intel HD Graphics, 12 EUs @200-500 Mhz, single-channel memory
Supports 100Mbps Ethernet

I'm looking to use them for specific NDI tasks, so I would like to know if anyone can verify if the processor and graphic chip set will be fully compatible with NDI ?

I'm looking to push a single NDI stream from each device. will 100mbps hold up for one single NDI stream ?

I'd really like to know for certain..
Maybe Steve Kane Zane or Martin can advise.

Thnx A.

PIZAZZ
02-13-2017, 01:34 PM
That chipset will most likely not allow you to do any kind of capture and conversion. You need a chipset with the AVX instruction set built in. The ATOM (cherry trail) series do not have that instruction set. You should be able to use NDI Monitor on it but the 100 mbps Ethernet speed will leave you wanting more speed to minimize dropped frames and stuttering.

kanep
02-13-2017, 05:00 PM
It would help to know what the tasks are that you plan to uses these units for. I would agree that you should really try to get Gigabit Ethernet on them. Fast Ethernet's max performance the starting bandwidth most people need for NDI. As Jef mentions the CPU could be an issue, those chips do support SSSE3 which is required for NDI, but having AVX instructions is highly recommended, you probably should look for a system with at least Intel i3 CPUs.

AElli
02-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the reply guys..

Currently im grabbing a presenters PC screen fed back to my mini via ndi. I was running a SDI clean feed to a SDI HDMI converter to feed a projector. Now Im feeding the projector via ndi through an i5 laptop running NDI monitor full screen connected to the projectors HDMI port. I want to replace the laptop with a single board computer aka a latte panda board or similar, spec'd above. I'm running either 720p/50 or 1080i/50 if it differs. ( Never higher ) at some events we cover we have dual projector screens and tying up 2 i5 laptops just to feed them seems wasteful of those resources. My initial idea was feeding the projectors via raspberry pi SBC's but i don't think ndi runs on arm devices at this time ?

A.

The hub I'm using is 1GB capable, the feed from the presenters PC is 1GB but the single feed to each projector will be via 100mb

PIZAZZ
02-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the reply guys..

Currently im grabbing a presenters PC screen fed back to my mini via ndi. I was running a SDI clean feed to a SDI HDMI converter to feed a projector. Now Im feeding the projector via ndi through an i5 laptop running NDI monitor full screen connected to the projectors HDMI port. I want to replace the laptop with a single board computer aka a latte panda board or similar, spec'd above. I'm running either 720p/50 or 1080i/50 if it differs. ( Never higher ) at some events we cover we have dual projector screens and tying up 2 laptops just to feed them seems wasteful of that resource.

A.

The hub I'm using is 1GB capable, the feed from the presenters PC is 1GB but the single feed to the projector will be via 100mb

I would not suggest going with only a 100mb network feed to the projector in this situation. Gigabit or don't do NDI at this time. Especially with underpowered PCs.

AElli
02-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Jeff, agn thanks for the comeback.
I've noticed at the lower of ur posts - listings of the gear ur using.
What's the NDI2HDMI ur referencing ? Might be something I can use in
my situation above?

A.

EDIT : just looked at your web site, I've answered my own question 😀