PDA

View Full Version : New to LW 2015, a few questions

Stardust
02-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Hi,

Haven't really done any work with LW since 7.x and I just got 2015... Things have gotten way more complex.... I have a ton of questions...

A) is there a way to save VPR animations?.... Sometimes I like what I see in VPR and that's what I want... But when rendering it... It looks different.... So I would like to save the VPR stuff, also for rendering time reasons.

I mainly want to use LW in order to illustrate complex web related stuff for my search engine and to create different artwork to different events (for now)... Due to the lack of a rendering farm and Octane being a no go for now I'm limited to 4 dual Xeons l5420 machines. To which I need to squeeze out the max performance, considering how Babylon 5 was done, I don't think it shouldn't be that difficult to produce some high quality stunning visuals with this setup. This brings me to the next question...

B) network rendering, is screamer net still the way to go? Or is there something else? Any good tutorials out?

C) Making 3D YouTube videos. I did see awhile back a tutorial on this, but it has been removed... Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you!

prometheus
02-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Hi,

Haven't really done any work with LW since 7.x and I just got 2015... Things have gotten way more complex.... I have a ton of questions...

A) is there a way to save VPR animations?.... Sometimes I like what I see in VPR and that's what I want... But when rendering it... It looks different.... So I would like to save the VPR stuff, also for rendering time reasons.

I mainly want to use LW in order to illustrate complex web related stuff for my search engine and to create different artwork to different events (for now)... Due to the lack of a rendering farm and Octane being a no go for now I'm limited to 4 dual Xeons l5420 machines. To which I need to squeeze out the max performance, considering how Babylon 5 was done, I don't think it shouldn't be that difficult to produce some high quality stunning visuals with this setup. This brings me to the next question...

B) network rendering, is screamer net still the way to go? Or is there something else? Any good tutorials out?

C) Making 3D YouTube videos. I did see awhile back a tutorial on this, but it has been removed... Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you!

I will only go in to A..since thatīs what I know about the most, and since I need to go to sleep mode.

under the timeline animation bar, where you have your play buttons, you can click preview ..make preview, under the notion that you have vpr on for that window, then set your animation length, and it will create a vpr render preview, which you can play back, you can whenever you want stop it by escape, then play it from there to see how it went up to that point, but it doesnīt save directly to disc that way, you have to click on save preview and set the right codecs that you want.

You can set up save preview before make preview, and check save anim and type...like quicktime..quicktime animation usually give a very good result, but at cost of size.
So the principle of saving previews are the same as older versions (not sure about v7) but you need to have vpr active ofcourse.
You can also rip off the display preview window in preferences display (undow preview window)

Now... vpr doesnīt render all stuff correct, so that is not the best for final renders, it depends on..if you have checked volumetric stacking, double sided, dielectric, subsurface etc, and also some radiosity checkings like directional rays in order for the lightwave final render to render the same as vpr.

In the next release, it is supposed to be like..VPR And final render is the same in output, so no big surprises should happen, that will be nice...eventually.

cyclopse
02-12-2017, 05:43 PM
On your network rendering... I highly sugggest Butterfly Net Render (BNR). It's far faster than the standard screamer net, or Dreamlight Constellation. I've been running network render tests to maximize efficiency over the last few months. If you need network nodes, I picked mine up at Server Monkey - Dell Poweredge 610R (you can get a dual Xeon (each xeon 6-core 2.93 Ghz), 32 GB ram, and 4Gigabit Network) for only $400 each. They each render just as fast as my $8,000 creation PC.

Snosrap
02-12-2017, 06:27 PM
It's always best to render individual frames. VPR is great to put together quick animations so that you can begin to build your project with them in your editor/compositor and then when the frames get finished just replace the VPR versions in your editor/compositor.

Stardust
02-13-2017, 06:27 AM
On your network rendering... I highly sugggest Butterfly Net Render (BNR). It's far faster than the standard screamer net, or Dreamlight Constellation. I've been running network render tests to maximize efficiency over the last few months. If you need network nodes, I picked mine up at Server Monkey - Dell Poweredge 610R (you can get a dual Xeon (each xeon 6-core 2.93 Ghz), 32 GB ram, and 4Gigabit Network) for only $400 each. They each render just as fast as my $8,000 creation PC.

I will only go in to A..since thatīs what I know about the most, and since I need to go to sleep mode.

under the timeline animation bar, where you have your play buttons, you can click preview ..make preview, under the notion that you have vpr on for that window, then set your animation length, and it will create a vpr render preview, which you can play back, you can whenever you want stop it by escape, then play it from there to see how it went up to that point, but it doesnīt save directly to disc that way, you have to click on save preview and set the right codecs that you want.

You can set up save preview before make preview, and check save anim and type...like quicktime..quicktime animation usually give a very good result, but at cost of size.
So the principle of saving previews are the same as older versions (not sure about v7) but you need to have vpr active ofcourse.
You can also rip off the display preview window in preferences display (undow preview window)

Now... vpr doesnīt render all stuff correct, so that is not the best for final renders, it depends on..if you have checked volumetric stacking, double sided, dielectric, subsurface etc, and also some radiosity checkings like directional rays in order for the lightwave final render to render the same as vpr.

In the next release, it is supposed to be like..VPR And final render is the same in output, so no big surprises should happen, that will be nice...eventually.

It's always best to render individual frames. VPR is great to put together quick animations so that you can begin to build your project with them in your editor/compositor and then when the frames get finished just replace the VPR versions in your editor/compositor.

I've got 2 working , dual CPU, quad core Xeons L5420 systems, 2 more in need of power supply and heatsinks, according to cinebench they are faster than my core I5. Newtek should definitely make a benchmark app.

Stardust
02-13-2017, 06:36 AM
In which way is it faster? Setup? Rendering? ..... Money is a constraint ... I want/need to use as much stock LW as possible.

Ztreem
02-13-2017, 08:53 AM
If you use a PC I suggest that you test Amleto network render. I havn't used it much but used it a couple of years ago and it was super easy to use and setup.

http://virtualcoder.co.uk/amleto/

lardbros
02-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Amleto has saved me on a couple of occasions. Although, if changes are made to LightWave scene files, quite often, Amleto will need an update too, as it's quite a tight integration into the LightWave scene file.

I have now plumped for Backburner at home and a LW2Backburner script you should be able to find on this forum. Works quite well, so long as you can manage to pitfalls of windows networking.

Also, Deadline is free for 2 machines if you fancy trying that one. Know you said you have 4, but it may be good to test the demo and see how it works.
Royal Render also has great reviews, but I've never personally used it before.

kopperdrake
02-13-2017, 11:16 AM
That's why I plumped for Buttefly Net Render - it *seemed* more forgiving with the Windows networking, at least in my experience, which doesn't count for much as my Windows networking experience is learned anew every time I dive into a problem. Amleto has also saved me in the past too, I can't remember why I dropped it in favour of BNR.

Stardust
02-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Thank you ...I guess I'll have to try... And see..

Anyone try Tequila Scream?

http://www.tequilascream.com

Nicolas Jordan
02-14-2017, 01:42 PM
The rendering engine has had many iterations and changes since 7.x so it will likely be the most challenging to get up to speed with harnessing it's full potential. The next version of Lightwave is also having a large overhaul on rendering so it is ever changing. When I used to work for a small arch viz company we switched from rendering in LW 9.x series and rendered in Modo for a few years so then I eventually made the move back to Lightwave which would have been the 11.x series at the time when I started my own business and had to relearn most of what I knew about rendering in Lightwave.

tcoursey
02-14-2017, 02:32 PM
As for 360 vids...YouTube has a app you'll need to download that injects some meta data into the video so YT will see it as 360.

jwiede
02-14-2017, 07:18 PM
That's why I plumped for Buttefly Net Render - it *seemed* more forgiving with the Windows networking, at least in my experience, which doesn't count for much as my Windows networking experience is learned anew every time I dive into a problem. Amleto has also saved me in the past too, I can't remember why I dropped it in favour of BNR.

(w.r.t. OP's "B" on LW render controllers...)

Butterfly Net Render (BNR) has the advantage of many versions of improvements, and is continually updated (and has been for quite some time). It's probably one of the most mature LW network rendering solutions, and it shows in both the performance and durability of the system. It used to require a Windows machine as controller, but I believe there is finally a Mac OS X version of the controller now as well (in dev, if not yet released).

Dreamlight Constellation & DLI SNUB-Launcher are both great solutions that work on both Windows and Mac, and for a while it was the only "LW-centric" network render system with a Mac controller option. The developer is constantly improving both Constellation and DLI SNUB-Launcher.

Constellation (& DLI SNUB-Launcher) have some ease-of-use/-setup benefits over BNR, but I find BNR has better performance, and deals a bit better with managing nodes appearing/disappearing. BNR also supports a much broader set of applications for rendering jobs (the list is quite long). I've got both, and when I need to quickly set up to farm renders from LW, I'll typically use DLI SNUB-Launcher to do so. OTOH, when I need to set up a more "lasting" render farm config, I'll use BNR.

Used to be I'd set up my work machines (as well as any co-workers' machines they'd donate at night) using BNR as a lasting config, and then use DLI SNUB-Launcher for quickly setting up renders across a couple home machines as needed.