PDA

View Full Version : NDI Transmit video distorted with Zoom's Video Conferencing and Webinar Application

rlsafran
02-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Many of my show guests are requesting that we use zoom.us meetings as they feel it's better quality than Skype. I'm still testing so don't want to make that claim.

I was able to setup a laptop with NDI Transmit and Scan Converter and Skype worked like a charm except that there is severe audio ducking of the TriCaster return audio through NDI Transmit when the Skype caller is speaking.

The zoom meeting test was a washout as the NDI Transmit video from the TriCaster is distorted and green.

I'll create a Fogbugz report and case.

kanep
02-12-2017, 04:03 PM
I just tried and I did have similar issues, but by clicking between Original, Widescreen and the 'Capture HD Video' options a bunch of times and the the video came in. I appears that you need to fiddle with these settings this each time. Hopefully the Fogbugz case will get it fixed, so you don't have to do this.

As for Skype, the audio processing is automatic in the desktop version. With TalkShow you have the ability to enable or disable these audio features.

As with all internet based video communication solutions, the most limiting factor for video quality is the webcam. Skype using NDI Transmit can look fantastic, I'm sure Zoom conferencing software will as well.

rlsafran
02-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Thanks Kane... I received this reply to my Fogbugz from Andrew:

1) Skype itself is ducking the audio when one side is talking. This is provided to avoid getting feedback when one side is using speakers and mic.

2) The problem with Zoom seems to be on their end. They have a bug in which they are reporting accepting UYVY video (i.e. YCbCr video format), however they are interpreting it as BGRA. That is why the video looks that way.

I'll let Zoom support know about this issue.

Thanks to all!
Rob

sharewisdom.tv

TriCaster 460 AE2
TalkShow VS-100
NDI Transmit
External Virtual Set Editor and LiveText
GnuralNet Call In Manager and Live-To-Air

dhodlick
04-25-2018, 10:33 AM
Has there been any update to this? We are getting requests to use Zoom here at ACS and so far - not much has worked.

rlsafran
04-25-2018, 11:29 AM
Zoom fixed the video sync issue back in 2017 based on the information that Andrew provided. Audio ducking is something we have to live with and we suggest to show guests that they try not to speak over one another. We have used Zoom, sending the source to the TriCaster with NDI Scan Converter and the Zoom return using NDI Transmit, for many of our shows without any problems.

Stream
04-25-2018, 12:05 PM
I've used Zoom for testing in the last month and had no problems with it.

JamesNewman
04-26-2018, 11:12 AM
Anyone interesting in having zoom create full support for NDI please submit a request for it to your account rep. We have been using zoom as a production tool for over two years now for live streams we do. It has by far the best video, audio and screen sharing quality of anything else on the market that we have tried. They are constantly coming out with great features however where they are lacking is a true integration with production studios.

Last time I spoke with my rap they only had one other request for NDI other then mine. I have tried to appeal to them and say "wouldn't it be nice if your watching cnn and instead of it saying via the power of skype it says via the power of zoom". In my opinion the only thing stopping that transition is easy ways for studios to en-corporate zoom into their production. To me the solution to that is clearly NDI.

What I would like to see is a new product called Zoom Studio. Each feed in zoom studio would be available as an NDI source on the network. So you have a zoom instance with 4 speakers with two of them sharing their screen? Great no problem you load up zoom studio one time, and on your NDI supported Encoder of choice you have each of those feeds, along with Gallery view as a separate NDI source. No overlays on the screen such as the persons name, connection status, etc that you get with using NDI Scan Converter, Remote Desktop from wirecast or something else that is simply capturing the screen.

Along with NDI - Zoom Studio should give the host full control over the guests joining. IT should support break out rooms like Zoom Pro does. These are great for doing tech checks, green rooms and a live room for moving talent in and out of the live production as needed. However with Zoom Pro there are instances where you cannot move someone. With Studio the host should have full control over moving people around, turning their camera and mic on and off etc. without interaction from the user on the other end.

Again I suggest anyone who loves zoom and loves NDI that they submit a request to Zoom to support NDI. Feel free to add to our copy any of my ideas for Zoom Studio.

The other thing I do btw is anytime I see news from others in their market supporting production, is I send my contact an email. So when I saw the annoucnement from Skype that they are building in NDI support I sent that right off to make sure their competition is heading in that direction.

Jam