PDA

View Full Version : Some really great LW works!!

Snosrap
02-12-2017, 01:12 PM
I ran into this on the LW Facebook page. - https://www.facebook.com/3DContest/ - It's some amazing LW works. I wonder why they "hide" it in FB. I, like many, hate FB but I made an account just so I could look around - I never post anything. Newtek should put some of these works in their gallery.

prometheus
02-12-2017, 01:52 PM
I ran into this on the LW Facebook page. - https://www.facebook.com/3DContest/ - It's some amazing LW works. I wonder why they "hide" it in FB. I, like many, hate FB but I made an account just so I could look around - I never post anything. Newtek should put some of these works in their gallery.

Canīt stand facebook, so sure..I miss out on some good things.
canīt even stand to browse it..is the only way to drag the window slider and have the photos update while doing so..I really hate that Design trend that goes everywhere from google plus etc, instead of thumnumbers and pages to click on.

So..unfortunately I only gave a brief glimps at it, but not all of it.

Snosrap
02-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Yep - it's terrible. :) I don't understand why NT doesn't leverage that content and put it on their site. Most of it is downright amazing work.

kopperdrake
02-13-2017, 05:40 AM
I had an account waaaaaay back when it started, around 2006-ish, when it was just a way to keep in touch with friends. After about a year I could see it turning into a life-sucker so I jumped through the hoops to close my account (I seem to remember having to make up fake emails and so on etc to get rid of personal data). The day I decided to leave was when I received live updates from a good friend on the trip of a lifetime on a boat in the rainforest. I could read and see exactly what she was saying just after she'd done it. I remember thinking, "but I want the excitement of sitting around a table with a glass of wine and actually asking her about her trip - it's so much more of an event for me personally than a pseudo live-feed, and it becomes a two-way personal event rather than a distant messaging event.

I rejoined last year after a few years of pondering, primarliy to chat with like-minded LW people and to view NewTek's page. I added a basic company page that just gets updates from my website (which is my main online presence) and my personal profile gets nothing added. I don't befriend anyone who isn't work related, as they'd be really bored with the work updates which is the only thing FB gets from me, and I really don't want to be kept up to date with what my cousin's baby ate that morning - I've enough on my plate with my own kids' days than someone else's minutae. The weird thing is that if you don't 'do FaceBook' you're considered a social pariah by many. My aunt was upset when I closed my original account as she really took it as me 'de-friending' her!

However, the reality is I go there very very infrequently. Notifications via email are mainly from people who just live on it, therefore you get a bias of notifications that, unless you're really interested, you begin to view as spam. When you do finally decide to have a look at the NewTek LightWave page, it just comes across as a mess - yet more sifting to find the stuff you want to view.

This is the same reason I don't use twitter, nor whatsapp, or any other of the 'look at me now' social media offerings. I am guilty of popping out a tweet probably once every two months or so, again automatically from the website, to anyone who wants to view the latest project. But other than that I really have no real need to be heard at the level of frequency social media allows. And therein lies the problem for those of us who 'don't really care'. There's a whole microcosm out there on social media where work is seen, relationships built up, paid work instigated, advertising carried out, that we're distancing ourselves from. No longer can we pop an advert in a paper, and sit back and get on with work. The original website was pretty much a like for like version of that paper advert - a presence on the internet people could view that was reasonably static. But now, with more and more younger people moving to social media, even websites are being bypassed and you really seem to need to live your life online, to be noticed. And to be noticed, you have to be the best, the worst, the prettiest, the ugliest, but above all, the most prolific.

Snosrap
02-13-2017, 07:43 PM
I hear ya! But are all the great works going unnoticed by the LW community at large (forum users) or is the LW community at large on social media? Maybe SM is where it's at? I hate it!

Ernest
02-13-2017, 08:25 PM
Even if, for some weird reason, they have decided to put the info exclusively in the facebook and absolutely not in the forums, why wouldn't they post a quick heads up in the announcements saying, "We've just posted this _______ amazing thing on our facebook page. Check it out!" I mean, if they're already having someone make a post, why not take an extra 20 seconds to give us all a heads up so we can look at nice stuff and talk about it and have a bit more positivity around here? Even if some of us stay away from fb on principle, we'd at least know that there's something good happening there that we're missing.

samurai_x
02-13-2017, 10:02 PM
Facebook is great!
Connected with some high school, college, old company peeps and even old sports club buddies I haven't seen in years. Even some relatives in another country which I could never easily keep in touch with snail mail 2 decades ago because snail mail is just a pain. Fb is just a few clicks away to send a message.
If you don't have those kinds of interests then fb would suck for you.

Anyway fb reaches far more people than any forum. People who aren't even into 3d will be able to see it.

50one
02-14-2017, 12:46 AM
Facebook is great!
Connected with some high school, college, old company peeps and even old sports club buddies I haven't seen in years. Even some relatives in another country which I could never easily keep in touch with snail mail 2 decades ago because snail mail is just a pain. Fb is just a few clicks away to send a message.
If you don't have those kinds of interests then fb would suck for you.

Anyway fb reaches far more people than any forum. People who aren't even into 3d will be able to see it.

For some it's great.
I decided to stay away from any social media, so many folks spying on you. Don't care about gov, but various marketing agencies, data mining, depressed people, ex-gf.

i'm choosing real life and real friends. I could always ask what they did yesterday when making morning coffee;)

Most people I know are spending far too much time on it trying to impress people they don't even know.

I'm at the gym! I'm shopping! I'm on holiday, sand dunes are amazing! F that!

PeT
02-14-2017, 01:46 AM
Thank you very much for the mention of my FB lightwave contest project! :)

samurai_x
02-14-2017, 02:47 AM
i'm choosing real life and real friends. I could always ask what they did yesterday when making morning coffee;)

Most people I know are spending far too much time on it trying to impress people they don't even know.

I'm at the gym! I'm shopping! I'm on holiday, sand dunes are amazing! F that!

Are you saying people on facebook don't have friends in real life? Uh.... that's why they have friends in facebook because they added those people in the first place.
Now if people don't have friends to add because none of their friends are in there then fb is not for those people. They can add forum friends instead. Lol.

I kind of like seeing friends posting their pics of their first baby, how they're doing at work, what new places they went to so we can go there next time, etc.

Saw my friend post about manly beach, thought it was nice so we visited them last year.
I would never have known about a freezing, but nice, beach if I didn't see my friend post it. :D
I think its a positive more than a negative to be on fb for the right people.

50one
02-14-2017, 05:48 AM
Are you saying people on facebook don't have friends in real life? Uh.... that's why they have friends in facebook because they added those people in the first place.
Now if people don't have friends to add because none of their friends are in there then fb is not for those people. They can add forum friends instead. Lol.

I kind of like seeing friends posting their pics of their first baby, how they're doing at work, what new places they went to so we can go there next time, etc.

Saw my friend post about manly beach, thought it was nice so we visited them last year.
I would never have known about a freezing, but nice, beach if I didn't see my friend post it. :D
I think its a positive more than a negative to be on fb for the right people.

You kinda missed the point of my message.

raymondtrace
02-14-2017, 06:51 AM
There is no hiding on Facebook. It is the third most accessed site on the internet. NewTek.com's rank is below millions of other web sites.

Marketing requires reaching new audiences. We already know about Lightwave here on forums.newtek.com.

Could NewTek add a 'widget' to this forum or their main site to show social media posts? Sure. But they are the best to know the scope of their audience on Facebook vs. those on their own site.
It is also a lot easier to post/share content on Facebook than to tangle with acquiring rights to post on one's own web site.

ianr
02-14-2017, 08:45 AM

Just a great variety of beautiful renderers!

Why couldn't LW3DG run them up in a Vertical Perf form of Adobe Lightroom,

so new visitors could scroll & click? i'm sure that would create more Traffic ?

50one
02-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Yes, those renders are great, should be exposed on LWG main site and possibly in newsletter!

Snosrap
02-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Yeah - such great work hidden on FB in one big scrolling column on screen - so stupid. Foundry got a new website and forum - it's time for LW to step up as well.

ianr
02-15-2017, 07:39 AM
A Pref- Scrolling column like Lightroom would resemble a SMALL large thumbnail size.

NOT that one big Scrolling column on the screen, even a Mac- like presentation of

Jupiter Rings circling thumbsnails would entice other Creatives.

Buried treasure remains buried treasure always Alas!

A new super-duper graphics site with the lastest Wipes & scrolls & Widgets is needed 4 sure,

along with a default vanilla to fall back on for LW3DG common denominator mind-set.

Christ! you could employ Bryphi to Mo-graph it up to a lovely pimped standard.

The talent exists to do this possibly on this Forum? (and get Paid for it too!)

prometheus
02-15-2017, 10:49 AM
Yep - it's terrible. :) I don't understand why NT doesn't leverage that content and put it on their site. Most of it is downright amazing work.

Beats me...uncromprendable.

There is no hiding on Facebook. It is the third most accessed site on the internet. NewTek.com's rank is below millions of other web sites.

Marketing requires reaching new audiences. We already know about Lightwave here on forums.newtek.com.

Could NewTek add a 'widget' to this forum or their main site to show social media posts? Sure. But they are the best to know the scope of their audience on Facebook vs. those on their own site.
It is also a lot easier to post/share content on Facebook than to tangle with acquiring rights to post on one's own web site.

I Disagree totally, the newtek team will probably bites their own tale trying to market themself on Facebook to gain new customers..While neglectign the Main forum completly without any overhaul and actually letting it decline to become worse than it once was..Hint, get those darn thumbs up on the gallery page..as they were.

But better yet ..rewamp it and match it against luxology, heck..I do not have modo, but I find myself going in to their galleries more often than the lightwave galleries.
Sure..let them post on facebook about news etc, but donīt forget about other long time users who wants to share render experiences and have a decent discussion about the renders etc, withoug having to scroll through that awful facebook format that carries other worldy information to distract you.

Yeah - such great work hidden on FB in one big scrolling column on screen - so stupid. Foundry got a new website and forum - it's time for LW to step up as well.

Cross my fingers on that...it is a stupid course, I agree on that.

Snosrap
02-15-2017, 09:31 PM
I do not have modo, but I find myself going in to their galleries more often than the lightwave galleries.

Me too. They have thumbnails!