PDA

View Full Version : Artistic Feedback desired

unstable
02-12-2017, 10:22 AM
My original idea was to have this old garden shed sitting next to a field with the morning sun rising behind it with sun beams filtering through the boards providing ambient light within the shed to see the tools. Since I'm having all sorts of problems creating an environment like that, I ended up with this. But there is something missing even from the model itself. Seems like there should be something (a wheelbarrow, rock, etc) behind the broken door. Or a fence perhaps. So I thought I'd throw it out there and see what suggestions I might receive for making this a more interesting and pleasant morning image. Thanks

MonroePoteet
02-12-2017, 12:31 PM
I'm no expert, but IMO there's no context for why the toolshed is there. Classical photographic composition has "foreground", "midground" and "background" components to set the context, and while your image has foreground and background components, there's no midground.

Here's an image where I just copy-n-pasted the righthand part of the shed to fake up a tumbledown farmhouse in the midground, blurred it, lightened it a bit and added a bit of "distance blue". Obviously just a quick-n-dirty approach, but to me "fills in" the composition.

Just a thought.

mTp

Ernest
02-12-2017, 03:17 PM
I like that idea for the composition (it could just be some debris left from where the farmhouse once stood, if you don't want the whole thing there) and there's a lot I like about that shed. The modeling and texturing have so many great little details. But the lighting doesn't match the fiery morning sky we see. Even the ground doesn't look like it's lit by such a bright sky. I'm not a fan of that haze. It's too white and comes too close to the camera. Or is it ground fog? The tree's leaves look monotone and opaque. Translucency should make individual leaves look different from clumped leaves and that gives trees variation and life. The trunk of the tree gets lost in the background because it doesn't have a rim light, even though a scorching sun is rising behind it. The boards on the inside of the shed should be painted by the sunlight filtering through the cracks. Maybe put even a volumetric light filtering through over the tools. It's also too centered vertically for my taste. I think it would look stronger a little bit lower. (I'd personally put an outlined squirrel on the top, looking down from the corner, but that's just me.)

unstable
02-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Thanks for your feedback guys. This by no means was a finished piece and I think I realized that something needed to go into the middle ground but I couldn't figure out what I wanted that to be. An old dilapidated building or maybe just some debris as you both suggested might give it that purpose I'm looking for. You added some very good points Ernest that I didn't think about, like the absence of rim light on the tree. I still have to figure out how to get the light streaks to come through the boards. That is why the fog is up so close to the building. I thought with fog and a volmetric light, I'd get streaks, but as you can see, it didn't work out. Lighting is a key element of all renders and I'm just not very good at it yet. :D But I'll keep working on it using both your suggestions. Thanks

cove
02-13-2017, 09:40 AM
You could add to the left side, ruffly mid point, some extra wooden planks/posts/[similar texture] to give the impression that another building [outbuilding] has been demolished then your shed would appear to be the last man standing as it were.

Regarding your light beams.
Try temporerilly tilting your scene forward towards the camera so the ground itself acts mostly as the background. [Or just move your camera].
Then do another render and see if your light beams show against a darker background.

Also turn your scene side on to the camera and check that the front of the light cone extends far enough beyond the shed object.

You picture looks pretty good so far. Love to see the end result.

jeric_synergy
02-13-2017, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure volumetric-style light beams would ever work in this context: if I'm looking at this right, the shadow indicates the main light is directly behind the shed, in line w/the camera. So the beams themselves would obscure the view and contrast inside the shed. If the light were off to the left, I think you could make that work, but the ground illumination is just wrong.

IMO the composition points are well-made, although something quite a bit less looming I think would work better, serve the image better.

prometheus
02-14-2017, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure volumetric-style light beams would ever work in this context: if I'm looking at this right, the shadow indicates the main light is directly behind the shed, in line w/the camera. So the beams themselves would obscure the view and contrast inside the shed. If the light were off to the left, I think you could make that work, but the ground illumination is just wrong.

IMO the composition points are well-made, although something quite a bit less looming I think would work better, serve the image better.

I get the light pointing straight to the cam and located in front of cam, but that isnīt really the issue, the issue is that there need to be So much fog tangent to the shed or even in front of the shed to pick up any light rays, fog, or mist or dust particles, pollen etc..in this case it doesnīt make sense and it wouldnīt be realistic, it would need thick fog and mist.
Even if the light is straight in front of the camera, the shed is breaking the light, and if there was anything to pick up the light ..then it should have done so.

He could place the volumetric light right behind the shed, and just make sure the volumetric lights settings are there.
Doing such light streaks would need True fog, or some kind of volumetrics so close to shed that anything behind it would be obscured by that volumetrics.

prometheus
02-14-2017, 11:34 AM
One could try post processing if itīs okay?
particle9 has a nice blur filter, but it wonīt be accurate or realistic as real atmospherics.
free fusion might also have something, or after effects may work if you got access to that and use fast blur on extracted areas of white that are located in the gaps of the shed.

In this sample with particle9 on your image, it takes all bright info and does the blur, ideally you would probably just want to extract the areas in the gap of the shed or pain in those areas in a separate layer and perform the blur on that instead of the whole image as seen here.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136006&d=1487097233

unstable
02-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all the feedback folks, I appreciate it. I think I'm getting closer, but still have some work to do. Still open to more feedback. One thing I found is that I almost need to make two images, one for viewing on an LED monitor and the other for non-LED monitor, which has to be brighter. The attached image is mostly for the non-LED monitor and little too bright for an LED monitor.

prometheus
02-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all the feedback folks, I appreciate it. I think I'm getting closer, but still have some work to do. Still open to more feedback. One thing I found is that I almost need to make two images, one for viewing on an LED monitor and the other for non-LED monitor, which has to be brighter. The attached image is mostly for the non-LED monitor and little too bright for an LED monitor.

So which method did you use to get the lightrays in there?

unstable
02-20-2017, 01:50 PM
So which method did you use to get the lightrays in there?

Oh, sorry. I used two volumetric spot lights behind the shed. One points at the shed and the other points towards the tree to the right of the shed an inverse falloff. I may very well still enhance it in AE once complete as you suggested.