PDA

View Full Version : Loop animated textures?

Paul_Boland
02-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Hi Folks.

I have a WMV movie file which I've applied as a texture to a model in Lightwave. As the timeline moves, the animated texture plays accordingly and all is good. Except, when the animated texture (121 frames) reaches the end but the timeline continues beyond that amount, the texture just stops. Is there a way to make the texture repeat as the timeline plays beyond the textures animated frame count?

RebelHill
02-12-2017, 09:10 AM
you can set video/sequence options in teh image editor.

Paul_Boland
02-12-2017, 09:18 AM
you can set video/sequence options in teh image editor.

Awesome! That works perfectly. Thanks!!

prometheus
02-12-2017, 09:20 AM
yep..far down in the image editors/sequence option, post behavior..set it to loop.
Edited...posting responseToo slow

Paul_Boland
02-12-2017, 09:32 AM
yep..far down in the image editors/sequence option, post behavior..set it to loop.
Edited...posting responseToo slow

Thanks!! Working great now :).

1Garrett
07-15-2017, 03:14 AM
I need to animate (turn light on) arrows on a ground, they must indicate the way to go to a running character. Since an image shows more and better than words look at this example gif, please:

https://giphy.com/gifs/arrow-IkdDmwlxEFeik

My arrows are more distanced from each other but there are thousands of them along the path, I looked at this thread but it seems not possible to offset a movie file for every single object. My question is: there are easy ways to switch images and/or frames assigned as texture to a sequence of objects, or I have with patience keyframe every one of the thousands arrows along the path? Hoping my question was clear, thank you for any advice!

inkpen3d
07-15-2017, 03:48 AM
I need to animate (turn light on) arrows on a ground, they must indicate the way to go to a running character. Since an image shows more and better than words look at this example gif, please:

My arrows are more distanced from each other but there are thousands of them along the path, I looked at this thread but it seems not possible to offset a movie file for every single object. My question is: there are easy ways to switch images and/or frames assigned as texture to a sequence of objects, or I have with patience keyframe every one of the thousands arrows along the path? Hoping my question was clear, thank you for any advice!

I would try controlling the luminosity of the arrows texture using its proximity to a null parented to the character. Have the null positioned some distance in front of your character so the arrow nearest to the null lights up as the character approaches the arrow. See the second half of this video tutorial https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/article/surfacing-how-do-i-setup-distance-to-object-in-the-node-editor/ by William Vaughan for the basic way to wire up the nodes (except you'll be controlling luminosity rather than colour in your case).

jeric_synergy
07-15-2017, 11:19 AM

I think you might be better served to pursue Instances in PATH (? Maybe "MOTION") mode, rather than images. It's possible to distribute Instances along a both to any desired density, and visibility might be controlled by distance to the runner mesh, or a null parented to the runner mesh.

EDIT: this is also more flexible, as the Path may be altered and the Instances will automatically update to accommodate the changes.

(I suspect that some voodoo might be required if you want them to appear abruptly, like ON/OFF, but making them gradually visible based on distance to an Item is a snap.)

1Garrett
07-16-2017, 03:42 AM
Thanks for replies, but i need to change the arrow surface texture (or uv map offsets in the same surface..) to a "light turned on" version (or swap an object), and I don't know if with path (spline) instances is possible to control every single instanced object. An ideal algorithm would be, as I saw on some 3d video games engines script languages:

1) define a sphere "trigger zone" on an null item object pivot
2) move the null item object along a chosen path (this can be done simply with keyframes)
3) if the null item object "trigger zone" collides with one or more of the arrows, modify the arrow with an alternate arrow surface / uv map

Who knows if Python scripting for Lightwave can be considered for these works, I see some places in Lightwave where you can add Python scripts (Motion options, for example...), but I'm distant to understand the inner workings and maybe the solution here is already built in and very simpler.

RebelHill
07-16-2017, 04:18 AM
you can do it with nodes

Spinland
07-16-2017, 04:59 AM
you can do it with nodes

<Homer_Voice>Nodes...is there anything they can't do?</Homer_Voice>

;D

MonroePoteet
07-16-2017, 08:33 AM
As suggested, you can model a single arrow, create a curve in modeler for the path (use Add Points ("+") and CTRL-P). This curve will become a Spline in Layout, so model it with the starting point at (0,0,0) to make setup easier in Layout.

In Layout, bring in the Arrow and the Curve, use Setup=>Edit=>Curve to Spline to create a Spline from the curve. In the Spline's properties (not the "visibility" object created by Curve to Spline but the original curve), add an Instancer under the Instancer tab. Add the Arrow as the object, change the Instancer type to Spline, set the "Distribute" option and determine the number of instances needed to give the distance between instances you want.

For the illumination, add a Null (perhaps named Illumination Null) and in its Motion options, set it to Spline with the same Spline as used to instance the arrows, and move the Null down the Z axis at the speed you want the arrows illuminated. Then, use Nodes in the Surface Editor to determine the distance between each Instance and the moving Null, run that through a Scalar Layer gradient to increase the Luminosity within a particular radius of the Null.

Sample scene attached. Remember to use VPR to see the moving illumination.

mTp

prometheus
07-16-2017, 11:22 AM
<Homer_Voice>Nodes...is there anything they can't do?</Homer_Voice>

;D

Would be great if we could crack the weight maps in layout and get turbulenceFD to emitt fluids from painted weightmaps, natively I do not think that is possible within turbulenceFD, which doesn´t recognize vertex maps, if somehow the surface texture channel could make use of a texture node that with some tricks could acess this, but do not think that is possible, so probably not.

Workaround maybe by using some of bryphi77 techniques to get lw particles to flow from the weightmaps, not quite the same thing but close, but not sure any turbulenceFD channel allows the usage of such weight map acess through nodes.

Currently blender is soo easy to just paint in to the scene your weight map, then just use that vertex group for fluid fire and smoke emission, and when you have made it, go back and repaint add or remove as you see fit and replay the fire and smoke updates nicely.

Wish someone proves me wrong.

1Garrett
07-16-2017, 11:56 AM
As suggested, you can model a single arrow, create a curve in modeler for the path (use Add Points ("+") and CTRL-P). This curve will become a Spline in Layout, so model it with the starting point at (0,0,0) to make setup easier in Layout.

[...]

Sample scene attached. Remember to use VPR to see the moving illumination.

mTp

Really useful, what I missed mainly (and it helps so much!) was the Instance Info node. thamks!

jeric_synergy
07-16-2017, 12:39 PM
NICE, Monroe. One couldn't ask for more help than that!

I notice that the spline is constructed with Bones: is that automatic with CurveToSpline, or what?

MonroePoteet
07-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Glad the suggestions / scene was helpful! RE: Bones with CurveToSpline, I guess that's got to be the way it works. I don't think there's any options and I didn't modify the Spline after it was created.

mTp

jeric_synergy
07-20-2017, 04:59 PM
I think that's how it works: makes sense because why not? Spline elements can be ANYTHING, but nulls, lights, or cameras wouldn't have the functionality of bone elements-- that is, they can't be easily used to affect other things like a bone can.

I can't remember if anyone ever demonstrated a good use for a SC spline constructed out of Lights, for instance. Possibly: it's my perennial request when this topic comes up, somebody has probably found a use.