PDA

View Full Version : Best video codecs for Lightwave/Fusion?

stevecullum
02-11-2017, 03:48 AM
I managed to brick my machine, so now I've got the arduous process re-installing everything. :grumpy: I used to have the quicktime player installed, which gave me the option of exporting previews in .mov format from LightWave and Fusion. But now that's no longer recommended due to security holes, wondering what other folks are using for their preview exports?

gerry_g
02-11-2017, 06:59 AM
the legacy version is still available for both Mac and Windows https://support.apple.com/kb/dl837?locale=en_US

stevecullum
02-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Isn't there a risk of having your machine taken over by installing it or just if you actually use the quicktime player?

http://blog.trendmicro.com/urgent-call-action-uninstall-quicktime-windows-today/

omichon
02-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Also concerned by these security issues, I still have QuickTime components installed (as I haven't found any acceptable alternative), but not the player, which seems to be an acceptable compromise.

stevecullum
02-11-2017, 08:02 AM
Also concerned by these security issues, I still have QuickTime components installed (as I haven't found any acceptable alternative), but not the player, which seems to be an acceptable compromise.

How did you install the components without the player?

omichon
02-11-2017, 08:12 AM
How did you install the components without the player?
That's a very good question ;D
I think there must be an option during a custom install/uninstall. Sorry, I can't remember exactly but the fact is I have QT components installed so I can create .mov but I have to rely on some other player (VLC in my case) to play them.

stevecullum
02-11-2017, 08:37 AM
That's a very good question ;D
I think there must be an option during a custom install/uninstall. Sorry, I can't remember exactly but the fact is I have QT components installed so I can create .mov but I have to rely on some other player (VLC in my case) to play them.

Ok no worries. I'll continue googling about for now and see if anyone has a solution without the Apple installer, but maybe it's an option of last resort!

Greenlaw
02-12-2017, 11:33 AM
I render .exr from Lightwave because Fusion can directly read all the auxiliary channels from it (i.e., motion, M/O id's, depth, etc.) You won't be able to do that with a .mov file in Fusion.

But I do render out .mov from Fusion for editing in Vegas Pro and, lately, I've been using MagicYUV (http://www.magicyuv.com/) as my editorial codec. It's lossless, very compact, and plays well for editing. (I used to use the free Lagarith codec, but Lagarith is too CPU intensive for real-time editing on most computers, and I do most of my editing on a tablet computer.

MagicYUV has a free version, but I'm using the commercial one which supports all color spaces, 8/10/12/14 bit depths, 422 and 444.

Right now, it's pretty cheap: $14. (If you only need 8-bit then it's only $9.)

Fusion only supports .mov export these days, and MagivYUV works well with it. In After Effects, I can export to .avi or .mov with MagicYUV.

I mainly use this codec for Fusion and AE exports to Vegas Pro 14; I haven't tested the codec for Premiere yet but I don't see why that would be a problem (I guess I can check that out today.) I'm using MagicYUV mainly for editing and but I also switched to it for my personal archival use. (I had been using Lagarith with low-res proxy files for a few years; with MagicYUV, I no longer need the proxy files.)

I've been using MagicYUV successfully for about six months now and very pleased with it. However, I wouldn't use this codec for the final deliverable .mov file since you can't assume the client is also using it. (You would then use whatever they're asking for--probably DNXHD or ProRes.) For all internal use, I think it's a great codec and I highly recommend it.

BTW, if you ever need to deliver ProRes from a Windows computer, I highly recommend Acrovid Footage Studio 4k (http://www.acrovid.com/footagestudio.htm). For me, this has been the easiest, most reliable and cost-effective way to deliver ProRes from a Windows computer. It's definitely worth it when ProRes is all a client can accept.

Greenlaw
02-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Oh, duh. Sorry, I missed the part about not having QT installed for security reasons. That's only for the QT Player though, isn't it? I don't think you need that to export a .mov.

gerry_g
02-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Yeah my take on the matter too, ok to have installed just don't add the mime set to your browser cuz it's exploitable on line but ok for internal use as it is still widely supported by many apps

stevecullum
02-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Oh, duh. Sorry, I missed the part about not having QT installed for security reasons. That's only for the QT Player though, isn't it? I don't think you need that to export a .mov.

I don't have an option to export any kind of movie file from Fusion right now, but usually after installing QT the option appears. My concern was in the article it was suggesting just having it installed was an issue, even if not using it. No too sure - I will investigate the MagicYUV seems like it might work for me too.

Greenlaw
02-12-2017, 05:14 PM
I don't have an option to export any kind of movie file from Fusion right now, but usually after installing QT the option appears. My concern was in the article it was suggesting just having it installed was an issue, even if not using it. No too sure - I will investigate the MagicYUV seems like it might work for me too.
Yeah, .mov is only available if you have QT installed, and you'll need it to use MagicYUV in Fusion. I believe there's a way to get it by installing just the QT codecs but you'll have to search that info out--probably one of those free codec-packs but I'm not sure which ones are recommended these days. I seem to recall somebody made a standalone installer that did only the QT codec part but that was a long time ago and I'm not sure if it's still supported or available.

I don't understand why Fusion doesn't support .avi right now (more than half of my Brudders music video files are Fusion .avi from the old Fusion,) but I read in their forums that it's supposed to come back. No specific timeline though.

I wish they at least supported a more open container like .mp4 or .mkv. (Although .mkv isn't supported in Vegas so maybe not. It's always something isn't it?) :)

stevecullum
02-13-2017, 06:10 AM
Yeah, .mov is only available if you have QT installed, and you'll need it to use MagicYUV in Fusion. I believe there's a way to get it by installing just the QT codecs but you'll have to search that info out--probably one of those free codec-packs but I'm not sure which ones are recommended these days. I seem to recall somebody made a standalone installer that did only the QT codec part but that was a long time ago and I'm not sure if it's still supported or available.

I don't understand why Fusion doesn't support .avi right now (more than half of my Brudders music video files are Fusion .avi from the old Fusion,) but I read in their forums that it's supposed to come back. No specific timeline though.

I wish they at least supported a more open container like .mp4 or .mkv. (Although .mkv isn't supported in Vegas so maybe not. It's always something isn't it?) :)

Isn't there just!

I think after searching about over the weekend, I think I will reluctantly install Quicktime. However, there is one other avenue - Apple iTunes still receives security updates and I believe an MOV player gets included with that too. So I might check that out first before installing the legacy QT player.

m.d.
02-20-2017, 09:04 AM
BTW, if you ever need to deliver ProRes from a Windows computer, I highly recommend Acrovid Footage Studio 4k (http://www.acrovid.com/footagestudio.htm). For me, this has been the easiest, most reliable and cost-effective way to deliver ProRes from a Windows computer. It's definitely worth it when ProRes is all a client can accept.

Cliptoolz is really feature rich....and a cheap $19
http://hdcinematics.com
They also have a free Prores render right from PPro and Vegas in their free plugins

Don't be fooled, all these programs to do Prores on windows are just a GUI for ffmepeg, so consider that when looking at price. There are certain flags in the stream that will indicate a non native Prores encoding.....some media servers for larger studios and stock footage sites will reject these files without some tweaking.

The only converter that was doing it with their own Prores implementations was Miraizon. And I think Red licensed it for Prores export from Redcine on Windows.....hence why Miraizon is no longer available.

There are a small number of officially Apple licensed windows Prores encoders, Scratch, Nucoda and a few other high end products. All the other hacks will still have those problematic flags that picky media servers will reject.

Greenlaw
02-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the valuable info!

Back when I had the client who insisted on ProRes, I had a difficult time finding much info about it for Windows applications. Based on user comments, most of info I found was very dated or of dubious accuracy. The program I wound up using, Footage Studio 4k, did the job nicely for my client--and at the time Acrovid had a good introductory price for the program. FS4k actually does more than just render the variants of ProRes but that's pretty much all I use it for.

I'll check out Cliptoolz. For that price, it would be worth it just to be able to render ProRes directly out of Vegas.