PDA

View Full Version : Any web host recommendations?

sadkkf
02-10-2017, 11:38 AM
I've been with HostGator for years, but now they've turned sour. Support has been giving me the runaround and I can't run a business like this.

Any suggestions for a reliable host is appreciated. I need PHP, MySQL and rock solid email.

Thanks!

Norka
02-10-2017, 01:52 PM
MediaTemple is pretty wonderful, though maybe kinda high-end a little pricey. Lots of agencies and creatives use (mt). I'm grandfathered in (from like ten years ago) at a much lower rate than the $20/month they charge for basic Grid hosting now. I'd have to check, but I may actually be paying $120/yr, which is a pretty sweet deal. (mt) is a sure thing though. Long track record of excellence, and lots of free bells & whistles and upgrades available. PHP, MySQL and rock solid email. Yep.. they got you covered.

sadkkf
02-10-2017, 02:22 PM
MediaTemple is pretty wonderful, though maybe kinda high-end a little pricey. Lots of agencies and creatives use (mt). I'm grandfathered in (from like ten years ago) at a much lower rate than the $20/month they charge for basic Grid hosting now. I'd have to check, but I may actually be paying $120/yr, which is a pretty sweet deal. (mt) is a sure thing though. Long track record of excellence, and lots of free bells & whistles and upgrades available. PHP, MySQL and rock solid email. Yep.. they got you covered.

Thank you!

They are a little pricey, but maybe worth it. I see they max out the bandwidth and storage space. 20GB isn't much when I'm developing multiple sites.

Nicolas Jordan
02-10-2017, 02:25 PM
I recommend Wix especially if you need tools and templates to build your website besides hosting it.

sadkkf
02-10-2017, 02:39 PM
I recommend Wix especially if you need tools and templates to build your website besides hosting it.

I saw them, really need a traditional host. I generally code from scratch, but occasionally a client asks for a WordPress site.

raymondtrace
02-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Another vote for MT, but midphase.com is also a good replacement for a hostgator type of package.

Avoid any of the Endurance brands of hosting, of which hostgator became. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

All the brands listed on that page used to be good before selling to Endurance.

sadkkf
02-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Another vote for MT, but midphase.com is also a good replacement for a hostgator type of package.

Avoid any of the Endurance brands of hosting, of which hostgator became. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

Holy crap. That's a real eye-opener. Thank you!

Midphase looks nearly perfect. Do you have experience with them?

vonpietro
02-10-2017, 06:10 PM
what about go daddy - they charge a whopping $1 for a year, after that i'm not sure.
they have alot of deals for first time users.

Norka
02-11-2017, 06:14 AM
Although GoDaddy bought (mt) MediaTemple a couple years ago (they have not changed anything for the worse - have left it independent) and have been able to siphon their technologies at will, I think I would still take (mt) over GD, even if it was a choice of $20/mo vs $3.99/mo. Hosting is pretty important. I don't buy my steaks at Walmart.

(mt) support is top-shelf too. You can get someone in chat support lickety–split or on phone in a very reasonable amount of time. And they do know their stuff, for sure.

MichaelT
02-11-2017, 09:19 AM

Actually, that is one behavior I hate in general. Not only with web-companies like them, it can be anything. For instance.. mobile providers do the same thing. Have various sub-brands.. all in the intent of covering more ground. Simply by fooling people that it isn't them, but a competitor instead. Many times they have fake "review" sites too. Frankly I think it should be illegal to do those type of stunts.

sadkkf
02-11-2017, 09:43 AM
what about go daddy

Been there. Done that. Threw up.

Actually, some of my clients have. They're horrible. Ridiculous downtime, pathetic support, slow response times.

sadkkf
02-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Although GoDaddy bought (mt) MediaTemple a couple years ago (they have not changed anything for the worse - have left it independent) and have been able to siphon their technologies at will, I think I would still take (mt) over GD, even if it was a choice of $20/mo vs $3.99/mo. Hosting is pretty important. I don't buy my steaks at Walmart.

(mt) support is top-shelf too. You can get someone in chat support lickety–split or on phone in a very reasonable amount of time. And they do know their stuff, for sure.

Absolutely hosting is important. I'd never use GD, but at the same time (mt) seems way too pricey. I don't care so much about SSD storage as I do about large amounts of storage. And $150/month to get an SSL? That seems pretty crazy. MySQL is free so having extra databases shouldn't cost that much. Same with email. I don't need 100 email addresses, just the storage for a few with attachments and correspondence over a few years.

MichaelT
02-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Now I'm using deluxe hosting.. but only because Liquidweb hosting sold part of their hosting to them. I was a bit miffed by that, because Liquidweb have been really good and responsive. I can still use them, but then I need to get a dedicated machine with them, because that is all they handle from now on. Aside from that, if you have a good network at home, and don't need much (like you have little traffic for instance) then you can get a Rasperry PI, set up a hosting of your own. Set the SD card to writeprotected (to avoid hackers trashing it :) ) and have any thing that needs writing, to a separate USB drive. You can then use DynDNS to make sure your webpage is visible, if your ISP changes your IP every now and then. Just an economical tip if you happen to be short on cash at the moment :)

sadkkf
02-12-2017, 08:59 AM
Now I'm using deluxe hosting.. but only because Liquidweb hosting sold part of their hosting to them. I was a bit miffed by that, because Liquidweb have been really good and responsive. I can still use them, but then I need to get a dedicated machine with them, because that is all they handle from now on. Aside from that, if you have a good network at home, and don't need much (like you have little traffic for instance) then you can get a Rasperry PI, set up a hosting of your own. Set the SD card to writeprotected (to avoid hackers trashing it :) ) and have any thing that needs writing, to a separate USB drive. You can then use DynDNS to make sure your webpage is visible, if your ISP changes your IP every now and then. Just an economical tip if you happen to be short on cash at the moment :)

Thanks for all that. I have thought about hosting myself, but I'd need better upload speeds from my ISP and that's the real cost. Having my own hardware spam filter would be the bomb, though. :)

Dan Ritchie
02-12-2017, 01:54 PM
I use http://www.technetex.ca/
never had any problems. It's just "there" and I don't think about it much except once a year when they bill me.

quakebox
02-13-2017, 07:37 PM
I use JustHost they are fine been with them for 5 years and now upgraded to VPS they are quick in support even if you are on shared account.

As for PHP, MySQL, Apache server they provide you with the cpanel to manage your account WordPress, Joomla, Drupel and others they use Linux so I don't know about Asp.net.

And of course they are reliable.

raymondtrace
02-14-2017, 09:36 AM
...Midphase looks nearly perfect. Do you have experience with them?

I've been 8+ years with a brand that was purchased by MidPhase (even Midphase is a subordinate brand of a larger hosting company, UK2). I've never had a problem...which surprises me now that I realize it and type this. I only use the basic shared hosting for Drupal sites but they have easy upgrade options.

cPanel, SSH, multiple DBs, etc.

sadkkf
02-14-2017, 10:57 AM
I've been 8+ years with a brand that was purchased by MidPhase (even Midphase is a subordinate brand of a larger hosting company, UK2). I've never had a problem...which surprises me now that I realize it and type this. I only use the basic shared hosting for Drupal sites but they have easy upgrade options.

cPanel, SSH, multiple DBs, etc.

I was really thinking of MidPhase and started an online chat with their sales to confirm some things, and they weren't very helpful. Their link to their cpanel demo is broken, they couldn't tell me how many email addresses I'm allowed on secondary domains and even transferred me to another person (without announcing it) to talk about email filtering, which they didn't answer.

If a salesperson can't answer questions about their own product, I worry about the service.

Someone else recommended A2hosting and I think that's where I'm going. I really love their Barracuda email filter.

Schwyhart
02-14-2017, 12:51 PM
I have used NameCheap (https://www.namecheap.com/) for probably 5 years now. Good customer service.

Paris
02-15-2017, 02:40 AM
Spin up a droplet at https://www.digitalocean.com/ and use Proton https://protonmail.com/ for rock solid custom domain name emails!

tcoursey
02-15-2017, 09:05 AM
For pro email I wouldn't use your hosting platform for that. SherWeb is a great Exchange hosted option.

SquareSpace is a great hosting platform with templates and great online editing tools
IPower is cheap and reliable but no real tools to speak of.
SiteGround is a great host we use a lot a bit pricey but very solid platforms.

Verlon
02-17-2017, 08:44 AM
A2 Hosting is reasonable, depending on your application. And, you can get NodeJS running, which I could not do on a lot of other hosts.