PDA

View Full Version : Best free pdf compressor?

prometheus
02-10-2017, 02:43 AM
Hi folks.

At our company we have a license of nitro 8 pro for some simple pdf editing, but it does a horrible job at compressing pdf, and at times it yields the opposite..namely larger files, so something is weird going on with that.
I can solve things on my own with indesign and place mount the pdf and save out through the presets print quality,which can reduce files from 12 mb to 320 kb with very good quality, but the thing is we do not have indesign at work and I do not want to work with my own computer and the company files.

Can you guys recommend a free pdf compressor that does a good job?, we do not want offline compressors.

Thanks for any advice.

Michael

bazsa73
02-10-2017, 04:26 AM
I used this:
http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator
and this:
scribus

prometheus
02-10-2017, 05:21 AM
I used this:
and this:
scribus

Thanks..but Uhhmm, I think I tried pdf creator but immediately removed it due to poor editing functions, may have to check again, However..it doesnīt say anything at all about compression though , so I am not sure it actually does that..and also how well it performs.

scribus?
I know about it and have it installed at home, may have to check how it can compress, though I think itīs horrible to work with otherwise, but I may cope with it only for compression, the thing is that it needs to import or place a pdf document without changing fonts, and you canīt import it as paths or glyphs as I otherwise would do in inkscape..well you could, but then you can not get a pdf document where people could mark the text, it would only be glyph and path objects in the end, and if you import it with other setting it may change importan value nr data, so that is why I reallly cant use inkscape either..and I figure it may be the same with scribus..or not, in fact when I do this with indesign, I simply place the document and save out with the adobe print quality pdf settings, and that is great, but I do not want to do this on my spare time, and I am trying to find a solution that wouldnīt cost for a smaller company.

I noticed some freeware pdf compressor on download com, but i do not want to test it at work..will try it at home first due to security reasons.
http://download.cnet.com/Free-PDF-Compressor/3000-18497_4-76084652.html

So editing is no problem we deal with that mostly with nitro pro, and occasionally some graphics editing in inkscape and krita to get in to nitro..the problem is that nitro pro is not compressing enough and if you try lower settings it simply becomes rubbish, think I tried all possible settings.
Indesign works like a charm though, though I can not use that at work, and I am not gonna do the work at home and it may be that others in the company need to do it at place at work.

raymondtrace
02-10-2017, 06:36 AM
The development version (1.5.2) of Scribus is better than the stable version in regard to PDF handling. I placed a ~900kb press-ready PDF and downsampled the images to 72 ppi in Scribus' PDF output. The result was a 90kb file.

Like InDesign, Scribus offers similar image compression options (JPG or ZIP, plus level of compression) in the PDF output settings.

I like to use the portableapps version of Scribus...
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/portableapps/ScribusPortableTest_1.5.2.paf.exe

prometheus
02-11-2017, 05:36 PM
The development version (1.5.2) of Scribus is better than the stable version in regard to PDF handling. I placed a ~900kb press-ready PDF and downsampled the images to 72 ppi in Scribus' PDF output. The result was a 90kb file.

Like InDesign, Scribus offers similar image compression options (JPG or ZIP, plus level of compression) in the PDF output settings.

I like to use the portableapps version of Scribus...
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/portableapps/ScribusPortableTest_1.5.2.paf.exe

I tried scribus, at least 1.4.6....and it is horrible, it takes a long time to get the load requester, and trying on my documents I need didnīt work, I got an error that it couldnīt load, the I tried other pdfīs..which worked but the documents is missing a lot of stuff in them, so itīs not that promising..not sure if itīs worth to take a look at the 1.5.2 version, I think I simply will download a free pdf compressor first and see.

prometheus
02-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Since scribus was to slow and wasnīt working..I am reluctant on even trying the newer version for now..
I then tried pdf creator, fast and simple and promising..it did compress well and with good quality...Except it was replacing signs, so my "ǀ" became chinese/ japanese? (����������)

Have to look at pdf optimizer, non of the above or talked about options seems reliable.

Markc
02-12-2017, 07:44 AM
Is it an option for you to send 'uncompressed' pdf with dropbox, we-transfer etc?
I don't think I've ever compressed a pdf, I thought they where designed to just go.

prometheus
02-12-2017, 07:53 AM
Is it an option for you to send 'uncompressed' pdf with dropbox, we-transfer etc?
I don't think I've ever compressed a pdf, I thought they where designed to just go.

No itīs not an option in this case, they are to be put up on a website, thus the necessary compressing...I myself hate loading pdfīs over the net that are to large.

if the pdfīs were designed to just go, there wouldnīt be so many ways to compress :hey: or even tools for it.

Markc
02-12-2017, 08:23 AM
Good point :D

prometheus
02-12-2017, 08:23 AM
I just tried another one..
http://www.freepdfsolutions.com/downloads.html

the free pdf optimizer...It didnīt work out, firstly all you can do is compress, there is no options to set or change how it compresses, secondly..it compresses too little like 1,2 Mb to 1. mb, third...it screws up formatting in the pdf, so items are changed and mounted in wrong ways etc..not good.

So
Nitro pro ..Wich we use for the editing with a payed license....no
Scribus..no canīt load my files, and others it can load simply doesnīt contain all material.
pdf creator.. no, screws up certain signs/formatting.
Free pdf optimizer..no screws up formatting
Acrobat pro..no, (it compresses but does so poorly with too large files, and to low settings yields to poor quality)

The best tried method for me was to use indesign and mount/place the files one by one, then save out with the adobe pdf print quality settings, it yields good quality in images and vectors, and compressed down to a very small size without loosing much in quality.

Though I can not use indesign at work and would have to do it by myself at home or bring my computer there, and itīs not appropiate for the company later on if they need to do it themself.

prometheus
02-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Further testing of pdf24 creator, what I did first was to simply start the compressor with no luck since it changed formatting, I then simply loaded it instead to pdf creator and used print to pdf24, you will not find it printed to a directory at first as to what I could see, it will however have it open in a browser and from there you can save it out to desired location.

with that I managed to compress it without any change on the formatting to what I can see, I got some lossy compression on some text though which I donīt like, will have to check the pdf write settings first...or simply give up and resort to indesign.

prometheus
02-12-2017, 10:13 AM
I used this:
and this:
scribus

I was mistaken that this was the pdf24 creator, which it wasnīt...so I downloaded the pdfcreator from pdfforge, but as it turns out, to reduce files you have to pay for the edit module, correct?
And that is no option.
So I downloaded it and installed it with a useless outcome unfortunately.

Michael