PDA

View Full Version : LWRemodeler is shipping

hurley
02-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone, we're pleased to announce that LWRemodeler is shipping (http://hurleyworks.com/wordpress/portfolio/remodeler/)

LWRemodeler is an integrated Layout tool for interactively retopologizing your LightWave objects using the Instant Meshes technology from IGL (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6wtw6W4x3I)

LWRemodeler has 2 modes for generating a new mesh. The Extract mode lets you quickly extract a new mesh in 1 step. This is great when you don't need to edit the polygon flow and when you want to quickly determine how far you can decimate a mesh without losing it's important details. The Edit mode allows you to interactively paint and edit polygon flow and edge placement. It's especially useful for taking hi-res 3D scanned meshes and converting them into something useful for your animation/rendering pipeline.

LWRemodeler offers surface reconstruction that supports LW VMaps. Currently discontinuous UV's are not fully supported but we hope to have a solution available in a future maintenance patch.

LWRemodeler is on sale now until February 14 for $29 while supplies last.

Norka
02-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Steve, am I supposed to get a License Code at some point?... LWRemodeler appears to be desperately wanting a License Code (everything is grayed out, except for License Code field), and I can not find one anywhere... Hell, I even looked between the sofa cushions and under the fridge... I'm quite eager to fire this bad-boy up...

gamedesign1
02-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Great. Does it suport symmetry?

Norka
02-09-2017, 03:58 PM
It doesn't support anything, until you pop in a License Code................. Does anyone have this pup working? Steve is MIA (maybe a family emergency?) and I have tried everything: LW Serial, PayPal invoice number, random letters/numbers, "password"... to no avail. Damn, I really want to get remeshing! I hate to be such a spazz, but motherf... :cursin: !!!

MichaelT
02-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Yeah, same problem regarding missing license here.
But you need to apply for a license. Have you done this?

Norka
02-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Where?... Huh?... Wha?...... :stumped:

MichaelT
02-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Where?

When you start the app you can see a product lock nr. Write this number down, and send a request like this:

Message title: Request for license
To: [email protected]

Some information from you with the:
The product lock: (your code here of course)

Which he will need to generate your code for your LW license lock.

Norka
02-09-2017, 04:44 PM
Are you messing with me bro?.. It says absolutely nothing about any of this on his site (that I can find), the page that loaded after buying it, the receipt that was emailed to me, the readme.txt or user_guide.txt in the LWRemodeler_1_0_0_0_PC_64.zip I downloaded....

Edit: Well, I sent Request for License, just as you suggested. Hopefully a license code will be waiting in my inbox in the morning. Really, sorry everyone (especially Steve) for spazzing. I have been itching to get this damn thing for over a month, and on top of waiting for (any) LW Next info, this was kinda frustrating...

MichaelT
02-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Are you messing with me bro?.. It says absolutely nothing about any of this on his site (that I can find), the page that loaded after buying it, the receipt that was emailed to me, the readme.txt or user_guide.txt in the LWRemodeler_1_0_0_0_PC_64.zip I downloaded....

Edit: Well, I sent Request for License, just as you suggested. Hopefully a license code will be waiting in my inbox in the morning. Really, sorry everyone (especially Steve) for spazzing. I have been itching to get this damn thing for over a month, and on top of waiting for (any) LW Next info, this was kinda frustrating...

He could have forgotten to put that in actually. I didn't read the readme files etc.. It is how it works on his other tool though, and it looks the same.
So I think it works the same way in this one.

imshadi
02-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Looks really cool. Definitely needed it. Great work.

WilliamVaughan
02-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Looks awesome!

MichaelT
02-10-2017, 12:04 AM
Its working now :) Nice.

Marander
02-10-2017, 02:20 AM
Its working now :) Nice.

I would be interested if this works reliable (also for a bit more complex models, organic and hard-surface), no crashes and the resulting topology is good?

Is the manual drawing of guides fluent (it didn't look like that in the video but maybe due to the recording)

Is the result comparable to 3D Coat Auto-Retopo?

MichaelT
02-10-2017, 04:34 AM
I would be interested if this works reliable (also for a bit more complex models, organic and hard-surface), no crashes and the resulting topology is good?

Is the manual drawing of guides fluent (it didn't look like that in the video but maybe due to the recording)

Is the result comparable to 3D Coat Auto-Retopo?

Short answer: No, not comparable with 3D Coat, and surely not with ZBrush. But neither is hardly surprising, given that they both have significantly more resources at their disposal. As a quick side note.. I usually load the lwo directly in 3d coat, and fix sharp edges (if needed), and only after that, use ZBrush for ZRemesh. As it have a very annoying habit of separating polygons otherwise. 3D coat is apparently able to fix an issue with how LW handles its models, that ZBrush is unable to fix. Whatever that issue may be.. I haven't looked into what may cause it.

The results are ok for more complicated meshes, but destructive for simpler ones.. but that is understandable. As the process is in itself destructive. This is more useful for quick work of more loaded meshes. Not perfect, and there are issues.. but he is aware of them judging by the notes in his document. I haven't tried using the guides yet, but I am sure they help controlling the destructive nature of the process. But if you are uncertain, I suggest that it could be a good idea to talk to him directly.. or simply wait until the next version comes. The first version of any tool, usually have some birth complications :)

No crashes that I have found yet, and the resulting topologies for more complicated meshes is acceptable. But like I said, there are some issues that he is working on. The normals on some polygons are out of place sometimes also. Don't know if he is aware of that though. But it is easy enough to fix. It is a cheap tool, so I have more tolerance for minor issues, than I would have had with the top tier tools of course.

Marander
02-10-2017, 04:51 AM
@MichaelT

Thank you very much for your evaluation!

The price is indeed very good. I have already 3D-Coat which I use for UV'ing and and ReTopo and still have to really learn all these workflows better really.

Spinland
02-10-2017, 04:59 AM
My first test cases will be trying some quick-and-dirty remeshing of a few DAZ assets. Not for production-level work, but to see where it leads me. Won't be able to carve out some play time until next week but looking forward to having a go with it. ;D

MichaelT
02-10-2017, 05:23 AM
My first test cases will be trying some quick-and-dirty remeshing of a few DAZ assets. Not for production-level work, but to see where it leads me. Won't be able to carve out some play time until next week but looking forward to having a go with it. ;D

That will be interesting.. haven't had time to look at much yet. Other things to do :)

Spinland
02-10-2017, 05:40 AM
That will be interesting.. haven't had time to look at much yet. Other things to do :)

Yeah, me too. This feature film I'm doing most of the VFX for is within 60 days of intended release and the director is getting...caffeinated. Keeping him appeased is a full time job right now. :jam:

wesleycorgi
02-10-2017, 03:38 PM
When you start the app you can see a product lock nr. Write this number down, and send a request like this:

Message title: Request for license
To: [email protected]

Some information from you with the:
The product lock: (your code here of course)

Which he will need to generate your code for your LW license lock.

FYI, this works as MichaelT suggested. I purchased earlier today and after sending an email, I received license code within a couple of hours.

Ma3rk
02-10-2017, 07:22 PM
@MichaelT

Thank you very much for your evaluation!

The price is indeed very good. I have already 3D-Coat which I use for UV'ing and and ReTopo and still have to really learn all these workflows better really.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you & wondering how Steves new tool might work along with 3D Coat. 3DC's retopo tools are powerful, but still tedious & time consuming & downright glacial compared to LWRemodeler.

For the into price though, I might just go ahead & get it "just in case".

Ideas Unlimited
02-11-2017, 04:37 AM
If it's any help I received my code today so what is stated above is all correct. The only issue I have, if anybody could help, is that I get this error message:-
"Could not create log folder in plugin path because of permissions problems, now using your desktop for AP log files "
I'm aware that Steve said that permissions need to change on the folders but this isn't my strong point so my question is how far back down the chain does it need to change? Sorry for the dumb question :(

prometheus
02-11-2017, 05:57 AM
I did catch this demonstration some days ago..and wasn´t really aware of it before, looks interesting and powerful and might come in handy.
But as with all things and plugins currently, I will not even consider investing in anything, not turbulenceFD ...which I have plans for, not Lwcad..which I want, third powers tool I want as well, not the new deepfx fluid stuff that looks promising.. but which I think have quite a long way to go..and then this, not until the new Lightwave release is in place that will yield whatever compability and issues it will face with those plugins.

The question is what I would need and want the most..after the new release Lightwave release ofcourse, and that relies on the new release to also hold up quite well :)

Keep working Steve.

Marander
02-11-2017, 07:42 AM
If it's any help I received my code today so what is stated above is all correct. The only issue I have, if anybody could help, is that I get this error message:-
"Could not create log folder in plugin path because of permissions problems, now using your desktop for AP log files "
I'm aware that Steve said that permissions need to change on the folders but this isn't my strong point so my question is how far back down the chain does it need to change? Sorry for the dumb question :(

Yes, the same thing with Advanced Placement, you have to alter the operating system access rights (NTFS) of the plugin installation folder and maybe some other places. I don't know why the developer is doing it this way with the log files, it's something very annoying in AP that I find its logs in many different places and if the access rights are not configured properly it immediately crashes. It's the only LW plugin I know that does this. This is also a reason why I asked for its stability because to be honest AP crashes alot, it's not really fun to use.

Try also starting LW as Administrator (right click - run as administrator) to see if it helps, but I think you have to leverage the NTFS security settings.

Ideas Unlimited
02-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Yes, the same thing with Advanced Placement, you have to alter the operating system access rights (NTFS) of the plugin installation folder and maybe some other places. I don't know why the developer is doing it this way with the log files, it's something very annoying in AP that I find its logs in many different places and if the access rights are not configured properly it immediately crashes. It's the only LW plugin I know that does this. This is also a reason why I asked for its stability because to be honest AP crashes alot, it's not really fun to use.

Try also starting LW as Administrator (right click - run as administrator) to see if it helps, but I think you have to leverage the NTFS security settings.

Thanks very much for the reply :) I tried it as Administrator and that worked fine thanks, still not 100% about changing permissions when I'm not sure what I'm doing, I know you right click on the folder and change the security settings but not sure which ones, I've tried changing the write access but that's made no difference BUT as you say it works with Administrator so at least I can have a play now... thanks very much :)

MichaelT
02-11-2017, 08:05 AM
I suggest you place plugins that don't have to be placed in a set location, to be placed in some general folder. A good idea is a second hard drive, and simply add them from there. This way if you need to reinstall windows, it will be much easier to add those the next time. Plus (as in this case) the file will be stored in a folder it can access :)

While on the subject, if you suffer from programs filling up your C: drive with no choice to have them installed on a second drive, you can do the following:

1. Let it install normally
2. look up the folder of interest, and copy (don't move) it to the new location.
3. rename the original folder (don't remove it yet) Placing a '_' in front of the name is a good idea. In some cases you might need to elevate your access.
4. now you will need an elevated command prompt: Right click the start windows icon, and select 'command prompt (Admin)'
5. in this console navigate to the folder containing the renamed folder and type: mklink /d "<original folder name>" "<path to the new location.. *with* original name included>"

now you should see that you have created a linked folder having the original name. This folder will behave normally for the program, but the files are of course on another drive. Note: should you accidentally delete this created link, it will *not* delete the content on the new location.
Try double clicking on the folder in explorer to make sure it opens the contents of the original folder. If it works, you've done it right, and can now delete the renamed folder.

This should save you valuable space on C:. It is also good to have a habit of creating a disk image of the C: drive. Programs like Acronis is good for this. Another bonus is you having
folders you normally can't remember where they are, redirected to a known location :)

Remember: Don't try moving system folders like this though, you can end up with trashing your windows. I know some of you probably thought of it :)