PDA

View Full Version : NDI Connection Across Campus

cjudge05
02-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Trying to connect NDI across our campus. IT ahs told me that mDNS is diabled here because it causes a lot of undue stress on a network of our size so I have been trying to use Access Manager with no luck. They have also told me that there are no closed ports so the ports needed (5960 and above) are wide open.

In command prompt I can successfully ping the IP addresses of two seperate tricasters on the network. For the most part NDI works when on the same subnet but when trying to connect using Access Manager they will not see each other. The directions in the Getting Started document are very basic so I was wondering if anyone has any other luck and if I should be aware of any other issues.

I installed NDI Tools on 2 tricasters at our sports control rooms. I also installed it on the one here in my office I entered the IP addresses of the other two. They are all Advanced Edition. Do I need to leave access manager open? Should I close it? I have tried both with no luck so looking for some help with anyone who may have gotten this working. Thanks.

rabbit
02-10-2017, 03:58 AM
Hi,

I also donīt understand the Access Manager. The Networks-Tab: If I put computer from a other network segment to this list, I see there NDI-source. But what is the Memo-field (only help)? What are the groups-tab? Public-group, this are all computer in the network. On which way can I say - only send to the computer a1 and a2 and a3, or only to my tricaster and not to other computers? Must I also have a Access-Manager on my tricaster to see NDI-sources from a other network-segment?

Regards,
Hartmut

Tricaster 460, AE 2

kanep
02-10-2017, 07:11 AM
The memo field is just a place to put information. You don't have to put anything in it, but I would put in something like a common name or the name of application that this connection is for (like 'CG System' or 'Connect Pro').

Groups are a way to organize NDI sources to that they only see other members of the group. For example, if you had a Studio A and Studio B that operate separate from each other. Putting all of the equipment for each studio in their own group (and removing them from the Public group) will allow them to only see other members of the group, this makes it easier to find sources and not select incorrect sources. A device can be a member of multiple groups if it needs to be shared. All devices default to the Public group.

mathewbarrett
08-22-2018, 08:29 AM
The memo field is just a place to put information. You don't have to put anything in it, but I would put in something like a common name or the name of application that this connection is for (like 'CG System' or 'Connect Pro').

Groups are a way to organize NDI sources to that they only see other members of the group. For example, if you had a Studio A and Studio B that operate separate from each other. Putting all of the equipment for each studio in their own group (and removing them from the Public group) will allow them to only see other members of the group, this makes it easier to find sources and not select incorrect sources. A device can be a member of multiple groups if it needs to be shared. All devices default to the Public group.

That makes sense, but what about the questions from the original post?

We're in a very similar situation on our campus, and I'm finding it incredibly hard to find anyplace with a thorough explanation of Access Manager and viewing NDI sources across subnets.

robert_sexton
09-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Trying to connect NDI across our campus. IT ahs told me that mDNS is diabled here because it causes a lot of undue stress on a network of our size so I have been trying to use Access Manager with no luck. They have also told me that there are no closed ports so the ports needed (5960 and above) are wide open.

In command prompt I can successfully ping the IP addresses of two seperate tricasters on the network. For the most part NDI works when on the same subnet but when trying to connect using Access Manager they will not see each other. The directions in the Getting Started document are very basic so I was wondering if anyone has any other luck and if I should be aware of any other issues.

I installed NDI Tools on 2 tricasters at our sports control rooms. I also installed it on the one here in my office I entered the IP addresses of the other two. They are all Advanced Edition. Do I need to leave access manager open? Should I close it? I have tried both with no luck so looking for some help with anyone who may have gotten this working. Thanks.

We have the exact same issues and questions about NDI across subnets. I can ping the spark, sparks works fine wired, wireless does not work and that's what we really need. We want to be mobile with a spark. Access manager doesn't seem to do what it's made to do.

Is there something on the wireless side we need to enable? We don't have any port restrictions on the LAN.

Thanks in advance

kanep
09-17-2018, 04:49 PM
Is the wireless network a different subnet?

If this is the case, you will need to work with your IT department to find out what IP it got assigned. Or connect a laptop to the same wireless network and use NDI Studio Monitor to locate the Spark and get it's IP. If this is your workflow, I'd get your IT department to make a DHCP reservation of the unit so it always gets the same IP address (or go static).

For NDI Access Manager, you just enter the information into it.

1. Click Remote Sources tab.
2. Click "New' button.
3. Enter the drive IP.
4. Select the drive type, this is important! For a NDI-HX device you must select the correct type or it will not work. Also, for HX devices you can also enter the group and channel names for the devices, this will override the group/channel name in the web interface of the HX device.

NDI Access Manager doesn't create routes, it only allows you to use them. This means that your IT department needs to have set up routing between these subnets. If you can ping the device, then you are probably good, but if you can't, then your issue isn't something that NDI Access Manager can fix. Also be aware that while the packet types and ports used by ping or http might be open between the subnets, it doesn't mean that they all are.

WxProf
03-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Has anyone working on a university campus been able to solve this problem? I am having the exact same issues getting NDI across subnets. I have a Connect Spark. It works great as long as I am on the same floor of my building, but I don't need NDI to get video from the room next door and beyond that it is worthless.

I input the IP address as a new remote source in Access Manager as instructed, then nothing happens. What is supposed to happen? Am I supposed to be able to see that source in Studio Monitor or VLC or some other software?

@kanep is this a feature that can be added? Thanks!

kanep
03-08-2019, 03:37 PM
When you run Access Manager, are you running it as Administrator? Try that if you haven't.

For NDI-HX sources, if you have entered them in Access Manager they should appear in NDI Studio Monitor as a selection. Having them appear doesn't mean a connection has occurred at this point, you have to select it and then connection will be attempted.

Also, you will need to close and reopen any NDI application that are running on the system do that they will read the new Access Manager list of sources.

prairiemarsh
03-16-2019, 11:06 AM
When you run Access Manager, are you running it as Administrator? Try that if you haven't.

For NDI-HX sources, if you have entered them in Access Manager they should appear in NDI Studio Monitor as a selection. Having them appear doesn't mean a connection has occurred at this point, you have to select it and then connection will be attempted.

Also, you will need to close and reopen any NDI application that are running on the system do that they will read the new Access Manager list of sources.

This was the solution for my issue!

I have several PCs running Windows 7 in my teaching environment. I am trying to connect to NewTek Sparks across two subnets with a Layer 3 solution. Couldn't see the mDNS broadcasts from the sparks but was able to connect to the sparks on some of the machines with access manager and then studio monitor by targeting the IP directly. Half the machines wouldn't connect or see the sparks with this option but, they all could see the sparks if I entered the static IP into a web browser. I turned of all virus protection and turned of the firewall. Still no dice. I even tried the "run as administrator" option. Still nothing. I then began to roll back to an earlier version of NDI tools (3.7). Every time, I reloaded the NDI Acess Manager after a reinstall of the NDI Tools (Going from 3.7 to 3.8 and back again) I noticed that the IPs for the Sparks were still in the remote tab. The solution that gave my connectivity was as follows

1) Log in as Admin
2) Turn off UAC in the Control Panel
3) Reboot as per the OS requirement
4) Run Access Manager as Admin
5) Enter the Static IP for the Spark (Note: Up until this point the "remote" tab had the previously entered IP values stored including after upgrades to newer Tools Version 3.8. Now they were gone and I had to re-enter)
6) Launch Studio Monitor
7) Success

I repeated this process on my vMix box running Windows 10 and same success. Same for OBS on Win 7. Clearly this was a permissions issue in my mind. Kane's solutions haven't let me down in the past and I should have just focused on the "run as Admin" suggestion. I would have saved hours.

Gear:
Tricaster 455>460 upgrade>AE2 Upgrade - Works
vMix v.21 4K on Win10 - Works
OBS current version - Works
Newtek Sparks HDMI hv 1.7.20 firmware 3.85.0631 / hv 1.7.20 firmware 3.99.1911 - both work