PDA

View Full Version : NDI over AirFiber (Line of sight Point to Point)

blur494
02-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Hi Guys! I was wondering if anyone has messed with NDI over a Ubiquiti AirFiber (http://www.netwifiworks.com/airFiber-24.asp) or any other line of sight point to point system. With such low latency I wasn't sure if their continuous packet transmission protocol would mess with it and result in dropped frames or any other hard to predict errors.
Thanks!

dereknickell
12-23-2018, 12:20 PM
Any word on this? I would like to try to implement this as well.

kanep
12-23-2018, 09:56 PM
I've not used this system, but with NDI 3.5 and higher, the default method of transmission is UDP with forward error correction, if both ends are using this level of NDI, then you should be okay as long as there is enough bandwidth for the number of channels you are trying to make it carry. NDI 3.0 and previous default to TCP communication which does have minimum latency requirements.

NDI 3.5 was released earlier this year, most NDI based software released in the last 6 months should be using NDI 3.5+ libraries. NewTek software releases from about May/June of this year should be using NDI 3.5 or higher.

livepad
12-24-2018, 05:48 AM
I've not used this system, but with NDI 3.5 and higher, the default method of transmission is UDP with forward error correction, if both ends are using this level of NDI, then you should be okay as long as there is enough bandwidth for the number of channels you are trying to make it carry. NDI 3.0 and previous default to TCP communication which does have minimum latency requirements.

NDI 3.5 was released earlier this year, most NDI based software released in the last 6 months should be using NDI 3.5+ libraries. NewTek software releases from about May/June of this year should be using NDI 3.5 or higher.

Hi Kane

Do you have any info about the UDP port ranges used ? The TCP ports 5960 onwards is clearly documented but I haven't come across any info about the UDP port ranges. We are working on NDI infrastructure in AWS and this question came up since we have to create specific security pathways between AWS instances.

Thanks

lukerctv
12-26-2018, 01:33 PM
I've used NDI between a Ubiquiti NanoBeam AC Gen2 and a Rocket Prism AC with a 13db AirMAX Omni omnidirectional antenna, worked very well. You can easily get 500mbit bandwidth two-ways, just be mindful of that bandwidth limit and things will work fine. The range is impressive too! You could get even more bandwidth and distance with true point-to-point using two NanoBeams, unless you want to get into the 10km+ range with true AirFiber stuff.