PDA

View Full Version : 2 Lightwaves running on 1 Mac

Beamtracer
12-17-2003, 01:53 AM
Toby posted this interesting information in the Mac vs PC thread. It is worth having its own thread to highlight it.

You can run 2 copies of Lightwave on your Mac at the same time...

Originally posted by toby
Yes, dupe the application and give it a different name (like 'Zeitwave'). You also have to disable the hub, it doesn't allow 2 Layouts - but I like working either way. I haven't done anything to the pref files or cmdlines, they use the same ones. Same versions.

Rendering in one and working in the other is sweet. I sometimes rendered in both while I modeled or worked in AE - it gets slow though!

Then I wondered if you could use the two copies of Lightwave to render different sections of an animation in the same scene.

Example, Lightwave Copy 1 renders frames 001-350, Lightwave Copy 2 renders frames 351-700, simultaneously. I guess you'd need plenty of RAM to achieve this.

The image below was originally posted by NonPlanar in the other thread.

mlinde
12-17-2003, 09:47 AM
I'm not trying to cause trouble, but just because you can do something, why would you?

I can see working in Layout and having a render going, I've written a few LScripts and tweaks to have LWSN running with it's own configs whilst working in Layout, but when you run 2 instances of Layout you are going to hit your memory ceiling faster, especially if you have a complex scene in the background render. I won't even go near what this would do with heavy OpenGL. Better hope Macworld provides 256 MB OpenGL cards for this usage.

Darth Mole
12-17-2003, 10:09 AM
And surely it's the same as having one (or two) processors working twice as hard on one file? if anything, I figure you'd still lose out on the deal just due to the overhead of having two copies of LW running.

(However, I do like the idea of having it render while I'm working in Layout - it kept quitting on me when I tried, but I hadn't disabled the hub.)

Beamtracer
12-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Maybe two Lightwaves running simultaneously would get the render done quicker, when using plug-ins or features that aren't multithreaded (dual processor aware).

If you can take the RAM hit, it might be easier than setting up Screamernet.

archiea
12-17-2003, 03:49 PM
...or getting a G5!!! :D

phansmeier
12-17-2003, 06:49 PM
I have done this several times. But most of the scenes are generally small. the largest being around maybe 1 million polygons and about 200-600 MBs textures. On my duel 800 with max ram 1.5 GB. this was with LW 7.0 also 7.5. with one rendering and the other to work on. It was a little slower opening the scenes but performed about the same for animation. I have also used two rendering at the same time to render over night because I didn't have the time to learn screamnet. But just a warning if you open 3 or more it has a tendency to crash the machine.javascript:smilie(':)')

toby
12-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Would be interesting to render the same scene in 2 copies set to 1 thread and compare times - you've already 'split' the data, and as Beam pointed out you will be faux-multi-threading all of your plug-ins and post-process filters...

Nah. These things never work out like you want! But I'm going to try anyway - a dual 450 needs all the help it can get

My scenes were not real heavy, but I have frequently forgotten for hours that a hidden LW was rendering - it can be really smooth.

This is what I produced in that 2 months:
http://www.tobygaines.com/reel_mp4.mov - (19 mb)

riki
12-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Can you have multiple versions with different memory allocations in OSX? I use to have OS9 set up that way, though I needed seperate cmdline files for each.

toby
12-18-2003, 01:48 AM
I remember a thread a few weeks ago where somebody had 2 different versions, it should work fine but I don't know about changing the memory allocation in OSX

ingo
12-18-2003, 01:52 AM
Just curious, can you simply copy and paste between those two LW's ? That will be a big help for me sometimes since LW strangely can't open two files at the same time.

toby
12-18-2003, 01:58 AM
just tried it - nope! interesting, it doesn't use the system clipboard?

Beamtracer
12-18-2003, 04:06 AM
Some people have posted messages in the past that 2 Screamernets running on 1 machine were faster than a single Screamernet. As said before, it gets around any code that isn't multithreaded.

I guess running 2 Lightwave's can achieve the same thing, and not be as difficult to set up as Screamernet.

Hmmm... I wonder if this violates Newtek's licensing conditions, not that they would be bothered chasing anyone who had two Lightwaves for this reason.

miguel446
12-18-2003, 03:30 PM
I do this pretty often as it allows me to compare items in different scenes without combining them. It's pretty useful in that vain, but I don't know about the rendering business.

m

Xacto
12-18-2003, 07:42 PM
There was a time when I created a complex model on my laptop and forgot to plug in my USB key and was unable to save the work. If you plug it in AFTER you launch it will not recognize it. I called Newtec to see if they had a run around and they said that the Windows version DOES... all you have to do is put your USB key in and launch a second version of the application and cut and paste into the new window and save. With the MAC-your hosed. :mad:

So will this solve the problem with the USBkey? (or maybe i am the only one who runs into this problem... :confused:

MarkSr14
12-18-2003, 11:02 PM
IMHO ScreamerNet RAWKS! There are a couple of websites that will help you to set it up. It's pretty-kinda easy, and once the initial setup is done, it's all easy living from then on. It's much faster than using LW to render as it is using less processing power for display, etc., and all of the processor for rendering. Literally maxing it out! Check your activity monitor and you will be a believer also.
I do not understand the benefit of having two LW's open at the same time when using SN allows you to have an active regular version of LW running as well as a render only (SN) version running, and rendering faster.
I have more info, but will wait and see if this is still ON topic.

eblu
12-19-2003, 09:27 AM
i myself posted this multiple Layout workaround, a while back, because Screamernet didn't work. And since I wanted to render multiple scenes overnight, I needed to have multiple copies of Layout running.

Since then I have moved to a different mac, and the SAME EXACT SCREAMERNET SETUP, inexpilicably works just fine. this is a sign of bad quality control for Screamernet.

this workaround was very helpful, during a time where I was unable to use screamernet. Screamernet is a very poorly implemented, and poorly supported utility of LW, it is ancient, unnecessarily difficult to manage, and just plain bad application design. Anything I have to do to get around it is worthwhile.

Xacto
12-19-2003, 10:12 PM
Screamernet is a very poorly implemented, and poorly supported utility of LW, it is ancient, unnecessarily difficult to manage, and just plain bad application design. Anything I have to do to get around it is worthwhile. [/B]

Does anyone know if Screamernet will be updated in the new version of LW?

joao
12-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Well.....

I never run two Layouts at the same time.... i normally set up a bunch of scenes beforehand and use screamernet as a batch render later.
However.........
I have run two Modelers at teh same time!
I do mostly high poly count modelling and sometimes i have needed to apply a plugin that can take hours to do its job. I just leave one modeler "rendering", while i work on the other.

joao.

NonPlanar
12-21-2003, 02:23 PM
Wow, look at me, 11 copies of Lightwave running!!! It just never stops.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously though, if you're trying to setup Screamernet on Mac OS X, try this:

http://homepage.mac.com/nonplanar/

toby
12-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Yes, he has Exterminated all rational thought. Poor guy, new g5's gone to his head.

wait a minute! the hub's running! :confused:

NonPlanar
12-21-2003, 02:40 PM
I think it's the bugpowder. Well, I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.

Beamtracer
12-21-2003, 06:07 PM
So someone's finally found a way to use the full 8 gigs of RAM on the G5. Just run twelve copies of Lightwave simultaneously!!! :D