PDA

View Full Version : So. I was trying workflowing LW and Substance Painter...

livex
02-05-2017, 10:39 AM
The problem is that whenever I want to use some LW modeled mesh in Substance Painter I can't get my UVs to show properly.
I failed opening .lwo objects so I decided to export them as .fbx and at least they open. But whenever I check the maps.. they show blank or wrong , except very unusal times where maybe 1 or 2 UVs are shown, but the rest aren't.

I made some research weeks ago, and I found some "theories". Some ppl say it's related to LW surfaces. That a surfaced geometry can't be shared by more than 1 UV (?). I tried doing so, and some UVs worked but others didn't.
Other theory is that there can be only 1 surface in the object in order to have it working on SP. What I haven't tested but is a pain in the *** for my model. I know LW surfaces are set as Texturesets in SP each one with a UVmap, but no idea how the software manages this exaclty..

Well, do you guys know anything about this? What are your workflows? Do you use any software inbetween?

Is there any kind of incompatibility using LW? Subpatched mesh maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Danner
02-05-2017, 12:30 PM
I haven't used Surface Painter, but taking objects to Unity is also tricky as far as UVs go. Unity can only use two UVs, so what we do is to use one UV for everything unless it needs two different ones for some reason. (when baking lightmaps in LW, for example, we sometimes use a tiled texture and a lightmap) I've never really wanted it, but the subpatch property is ignored too, I learned this by mistake. I suspect it's an FBX limitation.

BigHache
02-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Other theory is that there can be only 1 surface in the object in order to have it working on SP.

No, you can have multiple surfaces in your object. In fact you probably want to work this way.

When Painter failed to open the LWO, did you take note of the error in the Log tab? I have found that if you have ANY mesh that does not have UV information, Painter will reject the LWO like meat during Lent. However, if you export the same file as FBX, painter WILL open it, but you will find issues. This could actually be a nice way to confirm all geometry has a UV but if you're going to Unity you'll need to export FBX anyway.

I know LW surfaces are set as Texturesets in SP each one with a UVmap, but no idea how the software manages this exaclty..

Painter sees each surface/material name as a TextureSet, yes. These surfaces can share the same UV map.

Works basically the same way in 3DS Max with Multi/Sub-Object materials, if that helps.

I haven't fully tested how Unity looks for UVs from LW. I don't yet know if it can be only on UV per LWO, or one UV per layer, or one UV per mesh.

Is there any kind of incompatibility using LW? Subpatched mesh maybe?

The biggest issue I've had with using LW in this workflow actually is lack of smoothing groups.

Definitely don't use subpatched meshes. This is going to be unique to each 3D application and therefore is not going to translate to FBX.

I'm just getting started using LW with a Substance workflow myself. We use 3DS Max at work so I'm more familiar with that at the moment.

jwiede
02-11-2017, 09:59 PM
The biggest issue I've had with using LW in this workflow actually is lack of smoothing groups.

Ayup. Like it or not, LW3DG really needs to do something to provide smoothing group support, ASAP. Seems like it's getting fairly common for fancy/complex Substances to require/expect smoothing groups be defined. Given what they represent, it's hardly surprising (IMO, anyway) -- the group boundaries tend to be useful for indicating where to put seam/edge decorations, etc. on surfaces.

Unfortunately, I have zero hope remaining LW3DG will do anything about it in foreseeable future.

Snosrap
02-12-2017, 06:53 PM
Good info to your question here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152703-Robopocalypse Hope it helps.

vonpietro
02-20-2017, 10:36 AM
I ran into a problem where the map was way off. at first i couldn't figure out what it was doing.

AS IT TURNED OUT - THERE IS A FEATURE IN SUBSTANCE WHEN YOU APPLY A TEXTURE THAT SAYS HOW MANY TIMES TO SCALE IT UP... I THINK IT'S DEFAULT IS STUPIDLY SET TO 3 BECUASE THATS WHAT IT WAS WHEN I CHECKED IT. i THEN SET IT TO 1 AND OF COURSE IT FIT. Perhaps thats what you ran into too

substance opens my lw models with no problems by the way.

bazsa73
02-20-2017, 12:14 PM
I ran into a problem where the map was way off. at first i couldn't figure out what it was doing.

AS IT TURNED OUT - THERE IS A FEATURE IN SUBSTANCE WHEN YOU APPLY A TEXTURE THAT SAYS HOW MANY TIMES TO SCALE IT UP... I THINK IT'S DEFAULT IS STUPIDLY SET TO 3 BECUASE THATS WHAT IT WAS WHEN I CHECKED IT. i THEN SET IT TO 1 AND OF COURSE IT FIT. Perhaps thats what you ran into too

substance opens my lw models with no problems by the way.

I noticed that too and it is very annoying.

BigHache
02-27-2017, 07:31 PM
I've done some more testing as I'm going to Unity and am solidifying a workflow for myself.

I think this has been mentioned about LightWave ad nauseam, but the lack of efficient UV tools is a hindrance. Fortunately PLG Tools helps fill the void. I also have 3D Coat available to help with UV'ing meshes, I just don't like to do that because it requires leaving LightWave and coming back. From a speed/workflow point of view I think that's not as efficient as it could be.

I haven't run into a problem with having several UV maps in a file, other than the management of the UV Maps. It seems... not manageable? Just an alphabetized list which could be a problem if you have 50 UV maps in your file.

I'm taking notes of workflow issues/solutions as I go so I'll post somewhere (maybe a new thread?) when I have enough to share.