PDA

View Full Version : Any timing news on the next version of Lightwave 3d?

millsron
02-04-2017, 05:51 PM
little info since early last year. What gives?

Ron

RudySchneider
02-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Oy vey! Do we REALLY need yet ANOTHER one of these threads, Ron?! Surely you've already seen the other two or three threads dedicated to this tiresome query!?

And to top it off, you posted the same question twice yourself! Are you a troll in disguise?

Markc
02-05-2017, 03:36 AM
Soap Box time:

Personally, I look forward to a new release of software, but at the same time a lot of people just bang at it, as soon as one release is out....'when is next release due'.
Being a hobbyist, I still haven't even scratched the surface of tons of LW's tools, so am not desperate for a new release, having said that, I usually get the upgrade straight away.

This is not 'autocrap' with their mega budget, with annual releases to please their subscription customers.

When it's out...it's out :lwicon::lightwave

Zimtower
02-08-2017, 06:08 PM
At this rate, 3 more years.

pming
02-08-2017, 09:10 PM
Hiya!

Yup. Latest estimated time is sometime between the time I post this, and the time our Sun explodes.

And yes, I'm being totally serious.

Really. I'm not kidding.

jwiede
02-08-2017, 09:23 PM
Hiya!

Yup. Latest estimated time is sometime between the time I post this, and the time our Sun explodes.

And yes, I'm being totally serious.

Really. I'm not kidding.

Well, our sun's been exploding since ignition, so... :devil:

Ernest
02-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Well, our sun's been exploding since ignition, so... :devil:

Lightwave 4.5Billon_BC confirmed!

MichaelT
02-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Oh my.. not again... another *TRIGGERED* thread :(

jeric_synergy
02-08-2017, 11:49 PM
I wish people would just work at mastering Mark Warner's methods and make fabulous animations instead of ASKING THIS STUPID EFFING QUESTION OVER AND OVER.

J.F.C.

Topster-71
02-08-2017, 11:59 PM
I don't normally comment on issues like this, bit this time I'll had some thing different to the mix.

Back in January 2017 James Cameron gave a interview to The Daily Beast. This is a snippet from that interview.

"The thing is, my focus isn’t on Avatar 2. My focus is on Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 equally. That’s exactly how I’m approaching it. They’ve all been developed equally. I’ve just finished the script to Avatar 5. I’m now starting the process of active prep. I’ll be working with the actors in the capture volume in August, so I’m booked in production every day between now and then. Our volume is up and running, and everything is designed, and so we’re going full-guns right now. I feel like I’ve been let out of jail, because I’ve been in the writing cave for the last two years. I’m actually enjoying life. I don’t enjoy writing. I wouldn’t wish writing on a dog."

What if Lightwave Next's virtual studio had a revamp and the LWG was under contract to fully support the software during previz / motion capture this year. This may leave a skeleton crew working on the rest of Lightwave. That would give them time to add or improve the code, until all commitments were finish.

Just a thought. It appened to a company I worked for many years ago. For me it was like a paid for holiday.

bazsa73
02-09-2017, 12:40 AM
A Lightwave update is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it is meant to.

rustythe1
02-09-2017, 02:18 AM
I don't normally comment on issues like this, bit this time I'll had some thing different to the mix.

Back in January 2017 James Cameron gave a interview to The Daily Beast. This is a snippet from that interview.

"The thing is, my focus isnít on Avatar 2. My focus is on Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 equally. Thatís exactly how Iím approaching it. Theyíve all been developed equally. Iíve just finished the script to Avatar 5. Iím now starting the process of active prep. Iíll be working with the actors in the capture volume in August, so Iím booked in production every day between now and then. Our volume is up and running, and everything is designed, and so weíre going full-guns right now. I feel like Iíve been let out of jail, because Iíve been in the writing cave for the last two years. Iím actually enjoying life. I donít enjoy writing. I wouldnít wish writing on a dog."

What if Lightwave Next's virtual studio had a revamp and the LWG was under contract to fully support the software during previz / motion capture this year. This may leave a skeleton crew working on the rest of Lightwave. That would give them time to add or improve the code, until all commitments were finish.

Just a thought. It appened to a company I worked for many years ago. For me it was like a paid for holiday.

although there are no hard facts and its just here say, it is fairly likely that the new star trek has been part of the cause along the lines of this,

and just to point out I think the reason we are getting a lot of these threads is because for the last year or so we have been getting quotes of "its not far" "just around the corner" "upcoming lightwave" and those quotes kind of make it seem like it was weeks or months away, but now we are running into years, and I still cant progress with the big project I had back then because I still have not had the two major bugs I found in 2015 fixed, How long do you wait?

Topster-71
02-09-2017, 03:21 AM
Don't get me wrong I love Lightwave. Been my bread and butter for a long time. I also don't worry about when it will arrive. I have 2015 and handful of plugins and I'm doing fine with it.

I am getting a bit excited about what could be on offer. But I don't want a clone of other software. I'm sure when it's here we'll soon forget about all the whinging. Me. I'll wait and let the LWG do their thing.

erikals
02-09-2017, 08:12 AM
http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.pngbazsa73

A LightWave update is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it is meant to.

 :)  ditto that.

gjjackson
02-09-2017, 11:15 AM
From what's been discussed in relation to the next release it seems Newtek is going through some major rewriting of code. That is certainly a major undertaking. During the days of LW Core it was said they would rewrite sections of code that would, in essence, accomplish the same goal only over a period of time. It look now like they are in a major development in reaching that goal. The problem with such rewrites is it invariably "breaks" other parts. Then those breaks have to be fixed. I'm in eager anticipation of the next release but if the next is such a major rewrite it will take longer than updating some existing code. Once that is accomplished it may be that future releases will come in less time. Those who bought into Core and have continued are still in the pipeline for reduced price updates. Therefore I have no complaints and just wait for it to happen.

bobakabob
02-09-2017, 11:35 AM
 :)  ditto that.

Ditto the ditto... Wise words Basza. What's the rush?
Those of us working in this field should be thankful LW democratised 3d making it available to freelancers and small companies who couldn't justify remortgaging their homes. And the fact LW3DG are still offering an accessible economical alternative to Autodesk 3d animation apps and rewriting the code for future developments is surely a positive. Imagine a world of only Blender and Maya. (The latter is particularly good, but the subs...!) I remember in 1997 being asked to pay 1000s of £ for an educational version of Max. LW is one reason we're no longer in that world.

erikals
02-09-2017, 01:56 PM
LightWave is still Fantastic, imo!  :lwicon:

:king:

cove
02-09-2017, 02:46 PM
Hi all.
Came across this interesting and informative video commentary on Lightwave with the unfortunate title of "What Killed Lightwave"
Youtube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiOX-D2B8LE
[6 minutes long].
Talks about Lightwave from early development and reflects all the negative comments that have been
made in forum threads about Lightwave development [or lack of].
Plus past Lightwave members come in for some harsh criticism.

TheLexx
02-09-2017, 03:08 PM
@ cove

That video has already been discussed here (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?151777-Come-on-LWG3D-show-us-some-nuggets!&p=1496902&viewfull=1#post1496902).

MichaelT
02-09-2017, 03:11 PM
He should've done some factual checks first before making that video. Also, it is an opinion with a click bait title. Some would even regard that as fake news. If he'd been a large youtuber with millions of watchers, he would even be liable for defamation (or probably is already) Because it really isn't OK to state that something is "dead" (when it isn't) for any reason.

TheLexx
02-09-2017, 03:42 PM
And there is a very decent rebuttal here at post #7 (https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?415295-What-Killed-Lightwave&p=3148941&viewfull=1#post3148941). Bugzilla obviously felt a certain need to spread the word of LW's "demise", and many more people could have skewered his posts, but didn't particularly want to feed the troll. Though to be fair to him, his Youtube channel does show 73 Lightwave tutorials (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFC03427C61E77DAF) as a genuine user (now ex-user). However, he is not privy to any inner workings.

I don't want to cause anyone any consternation, but personally I fully support Newtek remaining "as tight-lipped as an Aldebaran shellmouth".

hrgiger
02-09-2017, 04:46 PM
I appreciate that LW3DG is taking their time with the release. Hopefully it pays off in a stable product that will bring users new benefits.

That said....

These threads wouldn't keep popping up if LW3DG just talked to their customers in some form or another.

bazsa73
02-10-2017, 12:30 AM
Ditto the ditto... Wise words Basza. What's the rush?
Those of us working in this field should be thankful LW democratised 3d making it available to freelancers and small companies who couldn't justify remortgaging their homes. And the fact LW3DG are still offering an accessible economical alternative to Autodesk 3d animation apps and rewriting the code for future developments is surely a positive. Imagine a world of only Blender and Maya. (The latter is particularly good, but the subs...!) I remember in 1997 being asked to pay 1000s of £ for an educational version of Max. LW is one reason we're no longer in that world.

My problem with Maya beside subscription that considering its size and the gigantic amount of resource which goes into its developement by now it should
be lightyears ahead of any other 3D software on the market. It should be multiple times better than the rest but it's not the case. Maya has certian advantages
for sure but I can imagine one day it will toppled from its throne. And yes Blender, I like it more and more but I guess Blender remains always blender.
You can do funny things with it, it is a nice big add-on in itself, free which is unbeatable but has many weaknesses. Still like it more than Maya.

Wickedpup
02-10-2017, 09:04 AM
I appreciate that LW3DG is taking their time with the release. Hopefully it pays off in a stable product that will bring users new benefits.

That said....

These threads wouldn't keep popping up if LW3DG just talked to their customers in some form or another.

And if they talked to their customers, they could manage expectations. Another problem with them taking their time is that as time passes, expectations grow.... and so does the chances that the release will be considered a dissapointment.....

Paul_Boland
02-10-2017, 10:01 AM
That said....

I agree. An update is long overdue...

cove
02-10-2017, 10:17 AM
And there is a very decent rebuttal here at post #7 (https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?415295-What-Killed-Lightwave&p=3148941&viewfull=1#post3148941). Bugzilla obviously felt a certain need to spread the word of LW's "demise", and many more people could have skewered his posts, but didn't particularly want to feed the troll. Though to be fair to him, his Youtube channel does show 73 Lightwave tutorials (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFC03427C61E77DAF) as a genuine user (now ex-user). However, he is not privy to any inner workings.

I don't want to cause anyone any consternation, but personally I fully support Newtek remaining "as tight-lipped as an Aldebaran shellmouth".

Was not aware the video had been shown/discussed before.

Checked out the "rebuttal" link and that to was interesting.

Loved these 2 lines expressed at the end of write up------
Quote 1.
"If it is as promised so far, it will have a geometry engine that will smoke anything on the market.

Quote 2.
"But it is no small project to re-write LightWave. The main advantage they have is new technology that no other apps will have."

will smoke anything on the market.
new technology that no other apps will have.

Looks as if Lightwave "NEXT" is going to be well ahead of other 3d applications with its complete rebuild etc when released.
Add to this any new features added later, maybe some unique to Lightwave , i think then Lightwave will soon regain its popularity
and become a force to be reckoned with with.

Marander
02-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Looks as if Lightwave "NEXT" is going to be well ahead of other 3d applications with its complete rebuild etc when released.
Add to this any new features added later, maybe some unique to Lightwave , i think then Lightwave will soon regain its popularity

Is this meant ironic or have you never looked at other 3d applications (besides blender maybe)?

For LWs price range it's unique (with the current discount price) as far as i know but when you count all the plugins you have to add it looks different. But all these (professional) applications are many years ahead of LW in almost all aspects. I don't think it's realistic that they can catch up and overtake them, also due to limited development resources. For some task (for example where fast geo engine is needed or previz with VPR), LW can be an interesting solution. Again, for the current price it's fair but they also indent to change the pricing (that was the motivation for many to upgrade and be "current").

Norka
02-10-2017, 10:28 AM
My current thinking is that if LW3DG had something serious holding them up, that they were anticipating even as few as couple months yet to have a final product, they would be on these forums, giving something. IMHO, release is imminent... like within the next couple weeks. To me, there is no other explanation for complete dead silence... well, maybe one, but let's not go there.

50one
02-10-2017, 10:50 AM
LW forum for the past year:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f0/88/c7/f088c7b095c14204f4128796e551b050.jpg

I would pay some good money to know something more other than it's gonna smoke everything and it's so good that you just want to take off your clothes and cover yourself in jelly.

jasonwestmas
02-10-2017, 11:20 AM

"The thing is, my focus isnít on Avatar 2. My focus is on Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 equally. Thatís exactly how Iím approaching it. Theyíve all been developed equally. Iíve just finished the script to Avatar 5. Iím now starting the process of active prep. Iíll be working with the actors in the capture volume in August, so Iím booked in production every day between now and then. Our volume is up and running, and everything is designed, and so weíre going full-guns right now. I feel like Iíve been let out of jail, because Iíve been in the writing cave for the last two years. Iím actually enjoying life. I donít enjoy writing. I wouldnít wish writing on a dog."

Does James Camera Man really like Tall Blue Cat People that much that he could create 24+ hours of movie footage of them?

cove
02-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Is this meant ironic or have you never looked at other 3d applications (besides blender maybe)?

For LWs price range it's unique (with the current discount price) as far as i know but when you count all the plugins you have to add it looks different. But all these (professional) applications are many years ahead of LW in almost all aspects. I don't think it's realistic that they can catch up and overtake them, also due to limited development resources. For some task (for example where fast geo engine is needed or previz with VPR), LW can be an interesting solution. Again, for the current price it's fair but they also indent to change the pricing (that was the motivation for many to upgrade and be "current").

No its was not meant to be ironic just a comment on how Lightwave can appear to be ahead of the game instead of being behind the times as so many members have expressed.

Wanted to put a different positive view about lightwave given the 2 quotations.

Also im not nieve at all about the advancments that other software have including Blender. [I also have blender].

Price and plugins
Yes! great low price for LW.
Ive personally spent about £700 on adding plugins during the last 15 months and its been money well spent.
Add the 2 costs together and Lightwave is still a cost effective way to earn money from your projects.
Add to this that once you have bought present or "NEXT" Lightwave you have a lifetime licence and actually own your software.
Unlike other software were you can only rent it and cannot actually own it.

Surrealist.
02-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Well maybe in all fairness, I should clarify what I meant in post number seven (https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?415295-What-Killed-Lightwave&p=3148941&viewfull=1#post3148941) over at the Blender Artists forums.

I meant mainly to point out what bugzilla had simply overlooked overall.

Granted, you can question his motives. It certainly was not to get at the truth of the matter. And simply ignore.

But sadly some people have take him seriously. And more sadly, rather than investigate for themselves, other people will take the people that take him seriously, seriously. And of course as we all know. If it was written in the forums someplace, it must be true. Make a video and fart through your mouth and everyone considers it gospel. So a video full of mouth farts and people all nodding in agreement in a forum trumps the stone tablets from Mount Sinai.

But you simply can not talk about LightWave without mentioning what has happened in the last 8 years. And lets face it, a large majority of people watching that video don't actually know this. LightWave has been flying under the radar for awhile and the demographic over there is... well not old enough. Leave it at that.

Anyway....

So the point is the reason LightWave is "behind the times" is because it was left behind. It is not rocket science. It is not hard to figure out that if the original developers thought it was time to reboot 16 years ago, where does that leave what they left behind?

So where does this go from here? People say, well too little too late. And I say that LightWave does not have to compete on the front end. Traditionally people have always looked to other applications outside of their main DCC app for finishing solutions. Not just 3P renders but other apps. And even Game Engines.

And LightWave has always done well in this role.

So you give it a kick arse geometry engine which looks like it will smoke any other DCC geometry engine out there and that is no small deal. Add to that a PBR rendering solution and I think you make a dent in that market again.

Basically all I was saying. I don 't see LightWave jumping ahead or competing with other DCC for front end, modeling, rigging, animation. But it will pick up some people there too. Users are diverse enough that an application in a good mid range level price that gives them end to end, will always be attractive. And with new tech, all the better.

jwiede
02-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Loved these 2 lines expressed at the end of write up------
Quote 1.
"If it is as promised so far, it will have a geometry engine that will smoke anything on the market.

Quote 2.
"But it is no small project to re-write LightWave. The main advantage they have is new technology that no other apps will have."

will smoke anything on the market.
new technology that no other apps will have.

Well, presuming the quotes are accurate, and those who made the quotes had legitimate basis for making those claims.

I personally believe claims like those are dangerously inaccurate over-statements, and though well-intentioned, actually set Lightwave up for failure.

"Geometry engine that will smoke anything on the market" is a huge claim, and based on the demos we were shown, almost certainly an inaccurate one. The MDD deformation performance was better than existing Lightwave (arguably), but wasn't anywhere near "smokes anything on the market"-level performance (esp. compared to Maya- and XSI-level deformer performance).

The claim about "The main advantage they have is new technology that no other apps will have." is another huge claim, and once again, based on the demos we were shown, almost certainly an inaccurate one. Why? Because none of the technology shown in the blog demos is "new technology no other apps will have." PBR materials (even PBR volumetric and hair materials) certainly don't qualify as "new technology no other apps have." Both OOO deformation stacks and OpenVDB support also exist today in other popular, general-purpose 3D applications. AFAICT, nothing LW3DG has shown or mentioned for LW.Next represents "new technology no other apps will have".

Claims of that sort push customers towards unreasonably-high expectations from LW3DG and Lightwave, and that harms Lightwave when what is delivered fails to live up to those unreasonably-high expectations. Telling the customers after the fact that their expectations were too high achieves nothing, the damage is already done.

The only way to avoid the problem is to actively manage customer expectations prior to release.

Surrealist.
02-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Well I don't agree about it having a negative effect. I see what you are getting at. But I never actually made any of the claims you are outlining. I only commented on the geo engine. And it is a fact that no one else will have it. That being Hydra/Chronosculpt tech. I was impressed with the demo. I am sure I don't have an application that can match that performance. Not Softimage. Not Maya. I have both.

But hey if I am wrong about it smoking anything else, then I will gladly retract that statement. Seemed like a no brainier to me. You want to do some testing to refute it? Go ahead. Not saying you can't mind you. But it seems fairly clear to me. And I am willing to be wrong if I am.

I never said anything about PBR other than the new geo engine with that is a winning combo. And I never mentioned anything else.

Doing quite a lot of reading into things I never said which is why I decided to come here and clarify. I can see that did a lot of good. ;)

jwiede
02-11-2017, 10:54 PM
Well I don't agree about it having a negative effect. I see what you are getting at. But I never actually made any of the claims you are outlining.

I've edited my post with a "presuming the quotes are accurate", apparently the second isn't, but you did make the first quote.

I only commented on the geo engine. And it is a fact that no one else will have it. That being Hydra/Chronosculpt tech. I was impressed with the demo. I am sure I don't have an application that can match that performance. Not Softimage. Not Maya. I have both.

LW isn't CS, that was obvious in Lino's MDD "perf" demo. What was shown was faster than current LW (again, arguably, there were some oddities w.r.t. mem, etc.), but didn't appear to run nearly the rate of CS playing a similar MDD/vcache-sequence. Hardly surprising, as LW has much more complex geo engine access/locking semantics than CS in order to concurrently support VPR, the "live" HID stuff, deformation stack, dynamics, and so forth. CS's playback access semantics are near-trivial in comparison, all CS has to worry about interleaving playback with is active vertex-level editing and a modern OpenGL viewport (negligible contention).

What I saw of the MDD perf in the Lino demo would not "smoke any other product on the market", and it's the only actual reference we have to the LW geo engine's performance. The performance of the CS geo engine is an apples-to-oranges comparison, for the reason I already stated.

But hey if I am wrong about it smoking anything else, then I will gladly retract that statement. Seemed like a no brainier to me. You want to do some testing to refute it? Go ahead. Not saying you can't mind you. But it seems fairly clear to me. And I am willing to be wrong if I am.

Wrong about what? Are you seriously claiming the LW+"new geo engine" MDD performance seen in Lino's MDD demo smokes Maya, XSI, and everything else on the market?

In any case, yes, I believe claiming that LW's deformation speed will "smoke anything on the market" is inaccurate (given Lino's MDD demo), and that setting such an expectation in customers is likely to result in unreasonable expectations leading to disappointment.

sami
02-12-2017, 12:16 AM
Look at the whois for the lightwave3d.com domain. Despite being around for a while it looks like they're only renewing it anually - lol
You'd think a company with a future would at least buy the domain for multiple years in advance. Looks like LW Next better arrive before next Dec ;-p

"Created on 1999-12-17 - Expires on 2017-12-17 - Updated on 2016-11-18"

50one
02-12-2017, 01:36 AM
Look at the whois for the lightwave3d.com domain. Despite being around for a while it looks like they're only renewing it anually - lol
You'd think a company with a future would at least buy the domain for multiple years in advance. Looks like LW Next better arrive before next Dec ;-p

"Created on 1999-12-17 - Expires on 2017-12-17 - Updated on 2016-11-18"

Not to mention that it is cheaper to pay for 10 years in advance rather than annualy but money doesn't seem to be an issue. That is good.

Surrealist.
02-12-2017, 04:15 AM
XSI is indeed pretty fast. I just tested it with 800K character. Maya is slow, natively, as expected. The GPU acceleration is not the same as having a geo engine - as in LW. And as I was already aware of that when making my post, I had taken it into consideration, or chose not to take it into consideration. XSI with its Gigacore, is not currently on the market. CS is not in LW but the tech is. We have argued that one 'til the cows come home right? We all know that it is the same geo engine, Hydra which is driving the new geo engine. That is tech no one has. So they could use that to add CS features or they many not. Or may find it hard. We don't know. But it is tech no one has with potential that could easily surpass other solutions. (especially when you consider the features they or 3P should be able to add) Wait and see. It has potential. But from what we can see it looks to be at least as fast as XSI.

So both opinions I voiced are correct. Especially considering I came by to further clarify and make sure people were not changing my meaning, which I thought out of context was a little stronger than intended. I stated it here as an opinion from what I can see. Not some emphatic claim.

And also lets not forget the context within which I made those comments that are being called so "damaging to LightWave" - in the first place.

It was because some guy was shooting his mouth off about LightWave doom and gloom. And he completely ignores LW current development as if it did not even exist at all.

So, who, I must ask, is currently succeeding at damaging LightWave?

Baffles the mind how some people can go around and claim to have the best of intentions for LightWave but then do nothing but cast a shroud of negativity.

In my opinion, not matter how you slice it, LightWave has a brighter future. May not be spectacular enough for some people. But it will be better. And it is moving in the right direction. Is this so really hard to see?

magiclight
02-12-2017, 04:16 AM
Look at the whois for the lightwave3d.com domain. Despite being around for a while it looks like they're only renewing it anually

On the other hand they may have done that since 1999.

Markc
02-12-2017, 05:02 AM
People are reading something out of nothing........again!
It sounds like some people are actively going out of their way to find anything which to them means doom and gloom!
Come on.......:bangwall:
I myself have an automatic annual renewal for domains, doesn't mean I'm packing it all in...........:twak:

cove
02-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Thanks all for your comments.
I now stand corrected as to how i should of read the comments in the video l posted.

Yes these 2 comments do give unrealistic expectations.

"will smoke anything on the market."
"new technology that no other apps will have."

I fell for it hook line and sinker.

But im still optimistic about seeing significant speed increases with "NEXT".
Lino provided a video that demonstrated the difference in speed between
present Lightwave and "NEXT". [Monster character moves across screen].
I would not be suprised if Lino had underplayed the speed.
so we are all suprised at the real speed increase when we get to use
"NEXT". But then again Lino has always been straight when able to reveal somethink new so maybe no big suprise in store.

robertoortiz
06-14-2017, 06:51 AM
Any world on what is the holdup?
Is it the problem porting legacy content to the new render engine?
Or issues with the tool "maturity" of the new toolset?

50one
06-14-2017, 07:32 AM
Any world on what is the holdup?
Is it the problem porting legacy content to the new render engine?
Or issues with the tool "maturity" of the new toolset?

You need to check your user folder more often Roberto, it was released last week.
I got my copy in the mail along with Duke Nukem

erikals
06-14-2017, 07:48 AM
i wish people could stop lying.

roberto, it was released 5 days ago and came with a DVD copy of Babylon 5.

as for the holdup, it's due stability issues from what i understood.
quotes like "we need a stable version" leads thoughts in that direction.

like i said before, maybe this Christmas... no rush, i got 1000 other things to attend to anyway.

50one
06-14-2017, 07:53 AM
I moved to XSI already and I don't give a HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT about some weird software that is actually two softwares, so confusing!

kolby
06-14-2017, 08:27 AM
They are waiting for my birthday which is TODAY. So LW3DG, you can release LW Next and give me a present. Second chance is june 24. That is my name day.

robertoortiz
06-14-2017, 08:35 AM
i wish people could stop lying.

roberto, it was released 5 days ago and came with a DVD copy of Babylon 5.

as for the holdup, it's due stability issues from what i understood.
quotes like "we need a stable version" leads thoughts in that direction.

like i said before, maybe this Christmas... no rush, i got 1000 other things to attend to anyway.

LOL
And thanks for the update...
Any word about legacy support for Lights and Surface Materials?

erikals
06-14-2017, 09:26 AM
i heard somewhere they looked into some node plugin support, but wouldn't count on it.
much is currently unknown, unless one is part of the Beta.

my advice 4 the ones waiting is to temporarily look into related plugins/apps or hardware.
(Fusion, DaVinci Resolve, Houdini Indie, Octane, DSLR, Perception Neuron, etc etc...)

RebelHill
06-14-2017, 10:34 AM

As I hear it, lights and materials are being phased out completely... afterall, they're SO old tech, people have been using them since 3D studio and Alias-1. LW is looking to the future and away from this old and tired technology. I mean, think about it... have you never noticed how the more materials and lights you add to a scene, the more your render slows down? Obviously... they need to go.

The delay has to do with the fact that there have opened up 2 factions within the LW dev/beta folk... those who believe that retiring both lights and mats in a single release shall be such an amazing revelation that LW users will lose control of bodily functions upon seeing how awesome it is, and thus are of the opinion that this change should be phased over 2 version releases (there's some debate within that group about which should be the first to go out of lights or mats)... while the second faction believes that the render speedups will be so utterly groundbreaking that the next release must kill both mats and lights in the one go.

What'll happen in the end... we wait to find out.

Spinland
06-14-2017, 11:16 AM

Ernest
06-14-2017, 11:19 AM
As I hear it, lights and materials are being phased out completely... afterall, they're SO old tech, people have been using them since 3D studio and Alias-1. LW is looking to the future and away from this old and tired technology. I mean, think about it... have you never noticed how the more materials and lights you add to a scene, the more your render slows down? Obviously... they need to go.

The delay has to do with the fact that there have opened up 2 factions within the LW dev/beta folk... those who believe that retiring both lights and mats in a single release shall be such an amazing revelation that LW users will lose control of bodily functions upon seeing how awesome it is, and thus are of the opinion that this change should be phased over 2 version releases (there's some debate within that group about which should be the first to go out of lights or mats)... while the second faction believes that the render speedups will be so utterly groundbreaking that the next release must kill both mats and lights in the one go.

Finally a return to sanity. We changed our complete pipeline to Lightwave 8 because it had the revolutionary LensCap plugin which removed lights, mats AND geometry (LW was so ahead of its time). That made all renders so fast and predictable; not to mention that all codecs were able to compress those animations to a tiny fraction of their size. Ever since that plugin was dropped, we've been struggling and dealing as best we can, but thank you so much for letting us know that there is some (lack of) light at the end of the tunnel!

jasonwestmas
06-14-2017, 07:58 PM
By all means kill off the old tech. Performance is very high on my list of priorities when I choose a piece of software.

pixel master
06-14-2017, 09:48 PM
Happy birthday, Kolby. Hopefully, LW Next will be here soon.

kolby
06-15-2017, 12:21 AM
Happy birthday, Kolby. Hopefully, LW Next will be here soon.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, the gift did not come. Now I'm waiting for June 24th. :D

kyuzo
06-15-2017, 03:36 AM
I wish people would just work at mastering Mark Warner's methods...

- Thanks for the tip - wasn't aware of Mark Warner's videos on youtube. They're great. Must find time to have a play...

50one
06-15-2017, 04:20 AM
They are waiting for my birthday which is TODAY. So LW3DG, you can release LW Next and give me a present. Second chance is june 24. That is my name day.

Happy birthday man! I'm sending a stripper in a cake your way!

Norka
06-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Pixologic didn't need any kind of trade show or special occasion to drop ZBrush 4R8 on Tuesday... so IF it is the case that LW3DG is waiting for Siggraph 2017 (though I do not see them listed as an exhibitor :-/ ), that is quite retarded indeed. As I said before, LW Next is not going to set the world on fire, and whatever LW's fate is going to be, it is going to involve months or years of winning back users and chipping away at market share. Better they start that effort as soon as humanly possible... They can still have a presence at Sigg17 (if they are even going), even if LW was released weeks earlier. Just saying... Dang, I wants me some LWNxt... :-(

kolby
06-15-2017, 08:02 AM
Happy birthday man! I'm sending a stripper in a cake your way!

:D Thanks!

50one
06-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Don't thank me now, wait until she arrives, not sure if I left a hole to breath through in the bubble wrap.

Matt
06-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Given that there is an extensive thread on this already, I see no point in having another.