PDA

View Full Version : 7.5b Surface Thickness Anyone?

roberthurt
03-07-2003, 01:49 AM
OK, so I was curious to try the new Surface Thickness gradient but so far no joy.

Simple test: make new scene. Add a sphere. Set diffuse to 0, luminosity to surface thickness gradient. Sphere is about 6 m in diameter. I set surface gradient to range from 0% to 100% for thickness range of 0 to 1 m.

Sphere is just black. More specifically, it renders with a luminosity equal to the 0m value in the gradient.

Anyone have any luck with this new toy?

luka
03-07-2003, 02:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken I think you might have to set the gradient in the translucency settings

Darth Mole
03-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Also, it might see a sphere as having one standard thickness (measured from its centre) - probably better to try the cow or something hollow, like a glass?

roberthurt
03-07-2003, 11:57 AM
But even if the shpere surface is taken to be a uniform thickness, it shouldn't be equivalent to a value of 0.0; In any event I've redirected this query to the general support forum in case this isn't a mac-specific question:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1553

mrxd
03-09-2003, 08:43 PM
I know this sounds feeble but I can't even find the 'surface thickness' setting on the gradient tab of the texture settings. How do I get to try surface thickness when I can't even find it as a choice among the other gradients choices?

roberthurt
03-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Select a gradient texture, then choose surface thickness in the popup list of "based on"; it's the last one.

As was cleared up on another board under general support, to see the effects of this parameter you need to have a double-sided surface, AND you must have one or more ray-trace options enabled in the Render Options dialog.

After the various bits of help I got online I was able to make it work and see some nice potential, but since 7.5b screws up my lighting it's a bit of a moot point right now...

mrxd
03-10-2003, 08:45 PM
I got surface thickness to work but I have the same problem with lighting as others have stated. Not all lights are affect it seems. Some are entirely blown out and look acceptable if the brightness on each is decreased by slightly more than half. Ambient lighting was changed form 3.5% to 0% and didn't make much of a difference.

roberthurt
03-10-2003, 10:09 PM
In case you're not following the previous thread, it looks like the problem has been pretty well diagnosed as a diffuse illumination problem (also translucency, possibly others). Basically, any diffusion setting over 0% renders as 100%, making it look like the lighting is blowing out the scene...

Darth Mole
03-11-2003, 01:36 AM
My lighting seems to be working fine on old scenes and new ones. Can't seem to replciate the problem here...

(Although the surface thickness thing works really oddly - try it with two semi-transparent models, one in front of the other, using the same surface and set to transparency based on suface thickness - it'll take both meshes into account! Weird.)

DP800, OSX.2.4, 7.5b

Scratch that - yes, the Diffuse and Tranlucency settings are broken...