PDA

View Full Version : Houdini Attributes to Weightmap

dulo
02-02-2017, 04:52 AM
Is there a way to somehow get houdini attributes into lightwave weightmaps ? Maybe through fbx or abc ?
Or is there a way to copy information from a texture file into a weightmap of an object ? I didnt find any plugin supporting this .
thankfull for tips ..

Thomas Helzle
02-02-2017, 12:23 PM
That would be brilliant. The attributes are one of the most brilliant things about Houdini, transferring them to other software would be great and I'd love using LW for rendering in certain cases.
While baking would be an option, direct transfer via Weightmaps/Colourmaps would be even better.
Houdini even supports saving objects directly to .lwo, but it didn't work in my tests, not sure what's wrong there.
Maybe talk to support?

Cheers,

Tom

dulo
02-03-2017, 04:06 AM
That would be brilliant. The attributes are one of the most brilliant things about Houdini, transferring them to other software would be great and I'd love using LW for rendering in certain cases.
While baking would be an option, direct transfer via Weightmaps/Colourmaps would be even better.
Houdini even supports saving objects directly to .lwo, but it didn't work in my tests, not sure what's wrong there.
Maybe talk to support?

Cheers,

Tom

The native lwo support is broken since version 7 or 8 of houdini and the wont fix it any more and it only was the old lw format from lightwave 3 or 4.
I thought about using fbx export but in one of my last tests I tried to just save an object with weights in modeler to fbx and load it back and even in this simple case the weights vanished.
So I guess that for an fbx from houdini its even less likely to get weights.

Thomas Leitner
02-03-2017, 04:38 AM
....Or is there a way to copy information from a texture file into a weightmap of an object ? I didnt find any plugin supporting this .
thankfull for tips ..

Servas Martin,
you can use "Textured Point" (Modeler>Map>Color) to create a weightmap from a texture.
ciao
Thomas

dulo
02-03-2017, 04:53 AM
Servas Thomas,
Yeah thats the way im doing it atm to get point attributes from houdini to lightwave weightmaps or vertexmaps , but its quite tedious and I hoped to find a more elegant way ..