PDA

View Full Version : Pushing Points Polystein Kit - (modo)

erikals
01-31-2017, 08:08 AM
interesting...

Pushing Points Polystein Kit - by William Vaughan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHd5Tl6AnPg

pretty fast.

daforum
01-31-2017, 08:13 AM
That looks like a lot of fun.

Someone please make one for LightWave!!

WilliamVaughan
01-31-2017, 08:33 AM
Thanks for sharing. I really had alot of fun making this toolset and even more fun watching what people are creating with it.

This should be an example of how artists shouldnt fear scripting. I wish I would have gotten into it years ago.

Dodgy
02-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Interesting!

samurai_x
02-01-2017, 12:24 AM
Nice library.
I was doing this with metamesh and some preset human parts.
This takes it a step further.

WilliamVaughan
02-08-2017, 06:02 AM
I'm very excited to announce that the Polystein kit, after just being released a week ago, already has a massive update. This is a free update to existing customers.

http://www.pixelfondue.com/blog/polysteinupdate

WilliamVaughan
03-08-2017, 05:10 AM
Polystein Kit | Creature Parts Add-On 1.0
The Polystein Kit Creature Parts Add-On 1.0 created by Francois Daigle, consists of custom presets of 12 different creature parts added to the Pushing Points Polystein Kit 10.0.1 for MODO.
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/578d58896a4963f9cdb6be6d/57903152bebafb39ee18a481/58bf6465ebbd1aeaace25716/1488938527357/Monster_Splash_001.jpg?format=500w
http://www.pixelfondue.com/blog/2017/3/7/polystein-kit-creature-parts-add-on-10

WilliamVaughan
03-13-2017, 04:52 AM
Hex Preset for Polystein Kit

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/578d58896a4963f9cdb6be6d/57903152bebafb39ee18a481/58c560cbe6f2e1378fc981e2/1489402104454/pp_preset_hex_Splash_001.jpg?format=500w

http://www.pixelfondue.com/blog/2017/3/12/hex-preset-for-polystein-kit

tyrot
03-13-2017, 05:07 AM
proton stop modoing ... :) S T O P :)

MAUROCOR
03-13-2017, 06:41 AM
It is so strange to see so many modo material in the LW Community forum. I think at least it should be in the General Discussion thread.:jam:

WilliamVaughan
03-13-2017, 06:48 AM
I find it interesting that MODO is still such an issue in this community... while this community doesnt seem too concerned with threads about other apps.

The Blender, 3D Coat, Zbrush and Houdini threads... to name a few... seem to get along just fine here.

No worries though... I'll refrain from posting anything in the future. It's simply not worth the effort.

Enjoy!

CaptainMarlowe
03-13-2017, 07:52 AM
I find it interesting that MODO is still such an issue in this community... while this community doesnt seem too concerned with threads about other apps.

The Blender, 3D Coat, Zbrush and Houdini threads... to name a few... seem to get along just fine here.

No worries though... I'll refrain from posting anything in the future. It's simply not worth the effort.

Enjoy!

Well, I hope you'll continue at least on Pixelfondue to share some of your LW knowledge. If not, well, the LW community will have what we deserve. So sad.

ActionBob
03-13-2017, 08:00 AM
Given the history of Ligthwave and Modo, I king of see where Tyrot is coming from. You see, dear William, you are a treasured asset to this community with a strong history with Lightwave. In a way, some have a personal attachment to your association with Lightwave and it hurts to see you with that "other girl / boy." :-)

I kind of "get" what Tyrot feels. There have been quite a few times where I thought about purchasing Modo, but didn't because of that development history; meanwhile I have bought other apps like 3d Coat, Houdini, etc.... I know it is silly to become attached to a brand. But people do it all the time. TVs, computers, software.... It is all part of the flawed human condition to define ourselves by what we have or use instead of WHAT WE DO.... I am a "brand X" user or owner.

Some of us (and I include myself a little bit) are insecure at times when we see you kissing that other girl... But we have to realize that things change and we can still be "friends" (with benefits ooh la la). :-P

It is my hope that you still continue to post things and brush off comments with a little understanding and compassion.

-Adrian

MAUROCOR
03-13-2017, 08:08 AM

Enjoy!

I think you got me wrong, William. I said that in my opinion it was posted in the wrong session, just that.
And in my personal opinion it is the same to the others apps you named too.
Donīt be so mad.

ianr
03-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Please reconsider, Other apps Plug-ins........... well it's Mission Creep Proton.

Alot of people have enjoyed your lightwave work & stewardship in the past

Why have a hissy fit! STAY with LW stuff on LW Pages, your still the Dude we like!

TheLexx
03-13-2017, 09:17 AM
This reminds me a little of when people talk of loving software compared to software dispassionately considered just another tool. It brings up a small crossover issue to consider, regarding limits of just how much weight a "grandee" of any software should have, like if some new guy with only one previous post were to write "Hey, there's this great Modo plugin called Polystein" compared to a very well established previous LW user saying exactly the same thing. Do they both get the same voice ? Is there a pecking order ? I don't have any firm answer, but if either were to keep posting, say, Cinema 4d plugin updates here, how might it look (esp. if they are the plugin developer) ?

My observation is that people come and go, but there a great deal of good people still here, some less than WV's experience, but who are pushing LW and problem solving LW. Other software is usually bought up in context of that (like JWiede's incisive posts) rather than sales pitching other software. For me personally the limit is that if a Newtek forum mod were to really nicely and politely say something to me, I would at least get an indication of something.

jwiede
03-13-2017, 10:11 AM
Why have a hissy fit! STAY with LW stuff on LW Pages, your still the Dude we like!

If you really want him to stay, perhaps a good place to start would be to not (mis)construe his calm, concise post as "having a hissy fit".

hrgiger
03-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Don't be deterred from posting here William. As much as you've done with and for the LW community especially all the free training youve provided (and still do) , as far as I'm concerned, you should not feel discouraged to show the stuff here you're working on.

jeric_synergy
03-13-2017, 12:15 PM
It's "The Jilted Boyfriend Syndrome". We don't have such an emotional connection with the other apps.

Personally I find such news interesting, in at least a Keeping Up With The Joneses way.

If you really want him to stay, perhaps a good place to start would be to not (mis)construe his calm, concise post as "having a hissy fit".
Seconded.

Do Craftsman fans get upset at Black & Decker? :devil:

gamedesign1
03-13-2017, 12:26 PM
I almost went over to Modo, but just couldn't afford it and I had already bought LW 2015. Also Luxology/Foundry wouldn't do a crossgrade from LightWave for me. Not that I expected them to, I just thought I would ask ;)
So because i have stuck with LightWave I am very keen to see how it develops :)

safetyman
03-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Mr. Vaughn, can you post a link to where we can enjoy your wonderful posts?

CaptainMarlowe
03-13-2017, 02:04 PM
http://www.pixelfondue.com/blog/?author=57ba3176893fc01e07195931

wingzeta
03-13-2017, 02:48 PM
I learned LW from WV's vids. I'm a big fan. His intentions are good, but each time he has done one of these Modo only posts, with no LW relevance on the LW forum, it feels a little off to me. I have no dog in the modo LW fight. I think Modo is the package I will go to if LW implodes, or sells to AD. The problem is WV has been a leader, and important figure in the LW community, so it's weird he is promoting a different app now. It's like your dad trying to convince you to like his new wife, more than your mom. I would get the same feeling if he were a C4D guy now. It's not the same as one of these random guys who post about blender, houdini, modo, maya, c4d, whatever. They are not well known figures in the community. I'd think WV would understand that his posts carry more weight, and he should be a little more careful than "random former LW user's blender tips".

I know there are a bunch of guys who use Modo for their modeling, and Layout for animation/render, so I get there can be a relevance here. If I were WV, I might just be a little careful to frame things in that context, post in a relevant thread, or offer something relevant to LW along with this. Even just a poll of how many LW users would be interested in a similar tool for LW? There has been a dash of diplomacy missing in these posts, that would make all the difference. We all want WV to continue to be a part of this community, and I hope he will find some things to like in the next LW release, so that he will once again do some blogging about LW in addition to Modo. I'm still interested in general 3D workflows from any app, and definitely workflows that involve using other apps in conjunction with LW.

So I'll ask this, any chance this tool comes to LW? It would be cool. Or, any tips on how I could replicate this type of workflow in LW, even if it involves a clunky work around? I haven't had a chance to use the place mesh tool in LW, could I do something similar with that?

TheLexx
03-13-2017, 03:33 PM
It is difficult to make an absolute context because there are differences between learners, hobbyists, small studios, and bigger studios where all the latest cutting edge tools make more of a critical impact. I have WV's excellent Digital Modeling book and would pay for a sequel in a heartbeat. Soccer ball - still in awe of the genius, but on these particular threads I do get a vibe of Pied Piper to the town of Modo.

This invites certain comparisons to other threads, including the Bugzilla thread(s) and the nuggets thread. I don't have any critical stake on the line but I did feel slightly uncomfortable when a mod said something nicely and diplomatically to WV, but people just seemed to instantly turn on the mod. Perhaps this may have impacted on how Newtek is releasing news about LW Next, in case of getting pilloried here whatever they do.

@ wingzeta, I thought you put all that really well. The Metamesh plugin has been mentioned and it would be great to see what anyone is doing with that.

jeric_synergy
03-13-2017, 05:23 PM
but on these particular threads I do get a vibe of Pied Piper to the town of Modo.
{PEDANTRY MODE: ON //LEVEL= 11} Wellllll, technically the Pied Piper led the children AWAY from Hamlin, so more correctly it would be "Pied Piper of Lightwave". ;) :D

:ohmy:
/jk

tyrot
03-13-2017, 05:52 PM
1- Proton is one the sole reason i use LW today. Make no mistake .. He is the coolest tutor ever. EVER!. He was the probably sole reason after LW 8 community managed to stay alive.

2- I do not know what happened but after Lino and Rob came .. Lino replaced his role .. (sort of .. i do not think so). I think Rob + Lino somehow alienated him in some level. I do not know ..

3- Proton magically discovered MODO and GOT excited .. and made a Kevin Durant move..

4- All the other programs Proton mentioned can be added to LW workflow (hell i use at least 3 additonal programs) but NOT MODO . MODO's first aim was stealing LW base. You know it i KNOW it. PROTON was one of the sole defender LW castle ..

5- I would be SO happy to see PROTON leads all the LW marketing and public relations...

I ask all of you .. Would you prefer Lino+Rob combo .. or Proton? I say Proton all the way. Proton had deserved to be leader of LW marketing. May be in an alternate universe we are all happy.. Where Brad Peebler never stepped his foot in NT HQ..

jeric_synergy
03-13-2017, 05:56 PM
Tyrot, I think nothing good can come of such speculations. William is more than capable of running his life.

UnCommonGrafx
03-13-2017, 08:26 PM
hilarious.

It's become like schmuckville around here.

Wow.

samurai_x
03-13-2017, 09:51 PM
3- Proton magically discovered MODO and GOT excited .. and made a Kevin Durant move..

Kevin Durant is weak and a coward. :D
That's not who Proton is.

hrgiger
03-14-2017, 02:54 AM
4- All the other programs Proton mentioned can be added to LW workflow (hell i use at least 3 additonal programs) but NOT MODO . MODO's first aim was stealing LW base. You know it i KNOW it. PROTON was one of the sole defender LW castle ..

I have to disagree. Luxology's aim was to create software that was uninhibited by NT management which would not allow them to make the fundamental changes to LW architecture that would have moved LW forward in a meaningful way. Changes which may or may not be finally happening now starting with LW next.

Wiliam is a generalist but modeling has always been important to him. If you honestly compare modeling between LW and Modo, you could understand why someone would also adopt Modo into their workflow like he has. After modeler has been pretty much ignored by NT/LW3DG for so long, so have I.

erikals
03-14-2017, 04:00 AM
 
- team leaves NT
- FiberFX is bought, causes tons of probs
- Core is revealed
- Core is shut down
- remains are saved and forms LW10
- remains and additionals forms LW11
- modeler code is "maintained". the C app still has challenges talking to the C++ app
- new mesh engine is written into Layout, basically rewriting LW

i've probably missed someting, but with a bumpy road like this, halts ought to be expected.

Wickedpup
03-14-2017, 04:10 AM

Enjoy!

Totally understandable. You probably have better things to do than tippy-toeing around hypersensitive software loyalists.....:devil:

samurai_x
03-14-2017, 04:15 AM
Totally understandable. You probably have better things to do than tippy-toeing around hypersensitive software loyalists.....:devil:

It's no different in the Foundry forum how people dismiss anything LW related.
People need to be realistic here. Brand loyalty is real.

CaptainMarlowe
03-14-2017, 04:44 AM
Well, as long as Proton continue to share his knowledge in Pixelfondue, whether it is with Modo (which I don't use) or Lighwtave or any other app, I can live with the idea he won't step in this forum anymore. What he taught me in his tuts/books/articles was not how to use one app or another, but how to use any of my apps to get the result I wanted in a "problem-solving" approach. This way of thinking helped me learn Lightwave, ofc, but also to get i to other complementary apps like 3D-coat and subtsance suite rather quickly. So when William releases a tutorial, the apps he uses is not as important as the way he uses it. A bit like, in a very difrent app, Simon Ubdells approches the use of Motion 5. Very similar approach, imho.

tyrot
03-14-2017, 06:41 AM
Brand loyalty is real.

yeah

Wickedpup
03-14-2017, 07:07 AM
It's no different in the Foundry forum how people dismiss anything LW related.
People need to be realistic here. Brand loyalty is real.
Fanboyism might be real, but that does not make it right

TheLexx
03-14-2017, 08:45 AM
More capable users use different software to compliment an overall workflow, but it can often be a blurred distinction between "plugin" and "competing product", so the interests of the user isn't always the same as the software companies. I don't think there is anything wrong with loving a piece of software if a person really enjoys using it, and that can translate into a tendency to hope the company does really well so the software is there to stay. Is it reasonable to suggest a very big distinction between WV and Foundry itself ? In this context I see Foundry like the grinning Cheshire cat, but they have had their own share of faux pas to use up a few of their lives, but seem to market it better.

Schwyhart
03-16-2017, 04:30 PM
a bit like, in a very difrent app, simon ubdells approches the use of motion 5. Very similar approach, imho.

yes!