PDA

View Full Version : Content located outside of project?....

Norka
01-30-2017, 11:56 AM
* I posted this earlier today inside a thread in the Tips and Tricks section, but it looks like that section sees way less action, and I would rather not wait a week for an answer... :help:

I have been meaning to ask about content located outside of project, FOR AGES, but just now decided to finally ask about this... Why in the hell does LW (often) not put the full path for objects located outside of project, but sometimes do for others?

Is it how deep the directories go? Is it spaces in lowest folder name? (I just opened one of my busy LWS in Notepad++ and found that some objects have the full path if I have underscores rather than spaces in the lowest folder name)... What gives? Someone please help me get to the bottom of this.

Since moving to all SSDs last year, I have one SSD for objects that I use often (grass, flowers, trees, bg buildings, misc props, etc, etc) and one for all my textures and HDRs/EXRs. So virtually every time I am working on a large project that uses stuff from the objects drive, I have to go through the (quite vexing) process of finding a bunch of the objects upon scene load. If I packaged my scenes into job drive directories for every job, I would easily fill my job drive(s) SSDs in a couple weeks....

LW finds textures and HDRs/EXRs anywhere I have them, with no problem, because those have the full path (every time, if I am not mistaken).

roboman
01-30-2017, 09:01 PM
I haven't done that for quite a few years, but when I did I use to put the path in the Windows path directive. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm has info on how to do that for newer ver of Windows. Guessing it will still work.

creacon
01-31-2017, 03:13 AM
Point your content directory in options to a place where you don't put any files (e.g. The root of C:\).
Disable autodetect.

LW will save full paths in your scene file.

creacon

Norka
01-31-2017, 07:28 AM
YES!! Thanks so much creacon!