PDA

View Full Version : 3D Product Shot Tutorial

WilliamVaughan
01-30-2017, 05:53 AM
A Product of it’s Environment: Creating a photography style product shot.

3D has been slowly creeping into the world of photography over the years and one area that it seems to have a firm hold on is product marketing. With millions of items on the market today, there is quite a bit of work available for CG artists interested in using their skill sets to showcase company products.

Although I spend most of my time working on character based projects, I do my fair share of product work. In this tutorial, we’ll explore setting up a basic product shot from start to finish using NewTek’s LightWave 3D. If you’re new to 3D don’t worry, We’ll be creating all the elements from scratch.

Click the link below to view the tutorial.

http://www.pixelfondue.com/blog/lwwine

CaptainMarlowe
01-30-2017, 07:07 AM
Thanks ! You've been doing more and more LW tutorials lately, I don't if there is a hidden sign, but it's sure good news.

prometheus
01-30-2017, 08:40 AM
Thanks ! You've been doing more and more LW tutorials lately, I don't if there is a hidden sign, but it's sure good news.

I think that is a bit of an old tutorial actually, but just a bit revived..it doesn´t really matter much though, they are good and some may have missed it ..or William may have had it up elsewhere before, due to William´s long service, no one is more entitled to revive whatever he wants than him :)

Michael

WilliamVaughan
01-30-2017, 10:15 AM
It's an older article that came up in conversation last week. I figured if it helped him it would help others.

More goodies to come.

Ariandesign
11-03-2017, 08:18 AM
Hey William,
Thanks a lot
A simple but very useful tutorial! :)
I really appreciated it :)
Thanks
Have a great day
Arian

RPSchmidt
11-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Someone in the "Three months, no release, no FB posts since early April, etc." said you didn't even use Lightwave any more, Mr. Vaughn... they said that you went over completely to Modo.

Was that an exaggeration?

UnCommonGrafx
11-04-2017, 04:00 AM
He did, in his last message.
He said arse comments like yours weren't worth his time and sharing: it was ungrateful, misdirected anger.
Robert

p.s., that's my paraphrasing. But it fits.

tonyhall007
11-04-2017, 04:16 AM
William, really wish you would get back into doing Lightwave tutorials again, you are missed mate. Your tutorials are the best.

Wickedpup
11-04-2017, 05:23 AM
He said arse comments like yours weren't worth his time and sharing: it was ungrateful, misdirected anger.
Robert

To be correct he said: "I find it interesting that MODO is still such an issue in this community... while this community doesnt seem too concerned with threads about other apps.

The Blender, 3D Coat, Zbrush and Houdini threads... to name a few... seem to get along just fine here.

No worries though... I'll refrain from posting anything in the future. It's simply not worth the effort."

Considering this was not the first time someone gave him flak about posting Modo stuff alongside LW stuff (someone even drew a comparison between him and Kevin Durant which for anyone that knows a little about Basketball is basically a clever way of calling him a backstabber) I would say he was in his rights to be pissed off. With all his contributions to the LW community he deserves better IMHO. So I would say it was arse comments from ungrateful people with some misplaced loyalty hangup that made him leave.....

CaptainMarlowe
11-04-2017, 05:30 AM
Agreed 100%with Wickedup. I had once the opportunity to meet William, he is a very nice guy and I sincerely regret not seing him anymore in here. But I fully understand why he did so. A real loss to the community, because of some too agressive chaps. Sad.

ccclarke
11-04-2017, 06:24 AM
As my former instructor at the DAVE school, William was adamant that all 3D apps are essentially the same, with different names for tools and functions. He stressed this important point because he wanted the students to always think outside the box and be open to other apps in their (eventual) jobs. LW has a significantly less steep learning curve than most of the industry-leading apps, so it made sense to teach LW in the limited amount of time allowed by the course. Maya modeling was also taught on the side for anyone interested, but wasn't a required course.

I have a wide variety of knives in my kitchen as well as many types of screwdrivers in my garage; apps are no different.

Modo was new at that time, and was considered an evolving cousin of LW. (Even the hotkeys were identical in many cases). William made it a point to demo some of it's compelling features to us, just to impart a sense of what was available, since the chances of landing a job in a LW-friendly studio were not guaranteed. It's a shame that Modo has received so many more improvements than LW since then, but it is what it is, and there's no point beating a dead horse. The writing was on the wall (evolve or become extinct) ten years ago, and after LW peaked, it offered too little, too late --much to it's rabid community's dismay.

Since then, the DAVE school has updated their curriculum to reflect the reality their students will most likely face in the workplace- and sadly, LW is not in it. William may be one of the most knowledgeable LW artists and educators out there, but he's open-minded enough to accept other apps, which many artists are loathe to do. He works for a wide variety of clients, where being locked into a single 3D app can be a handicap, especially with a looming deadline. (Your mileage may vary.)

In regards to 3D, William is foremost a talented artist and an excellent educator. He doesn't do drama and doesn't have the time or inclination to engage in senseless arguments online -he's too busy working. This attitude was evident in the classroom as well - I remember one student who argued with him even after he patiently explained why her statement wasn't correct. She continued digging a hole for herself and he just shrugged and moved on. You can wrestle with a pig but all that happens is you get dirty and the pig enjoys it. . . The student was still there after her original class had graduated, due in large part to her argumentative nature and inability to listen.

William's number-one piece of advice for those about to enter the workplace was simple: Be nice. (Like. . . Don't argue with people who know more!) His teaching stressed the philosophy of successfully collaborating in a production environment nearly as much as how the software worked, which was very valuable for those less experienced and about to enter the workplace for the first time. This narrative resonates throughout his "Digital Modeling" book, which is highly recommended.

William is one of those genuinely decent people who follow the path of least resistance and keep their eyes on the prize. He continuously evolves his skill sets. Time management was another big topic of discussion that permeated many of his lessons; it's the most important skill we as 3D artists have control over, and he reinforced that concept relentlessly.

Great, (as opposed to good) 3D artists have one defining characteristic in common: They never stop learning. The vast body of (mastering the basics) tutorial work William generated for LW users is still applicable even though the software has changed. As a community, we're fortunate to have it. As an artist, I was extremely fortunate to sit in front of a patient master instructor who persuasively corrected (most) of my many bad modeling habits.

As for Modo, it's got some really nice features -especially in the modeling department.

CC

Luc_Feri
11-04-2017, 08:53 AM
I was suprised to see William on here for sure. I have his digital modeling book, a real gem that was!!!

I would welcome anybody on this forum giving out advice, hints, tips and tutorials and this forum has been sadly lacking in a LW talisman that garners that same respect.

I would say one thing, there's quite a few unsung heroes knocking around on this forum and online that LW3DG should encourage more. I have tried to impart several threads here and there, more a few years back, the most difficult thing for me probably back then was utter tumbleweed input from other users, just a few replied and got involved and yet thread views were in the thousands.

I know there are a ton of MODO/LW users on this forum and I recently tried to share some findings which I'm sure had some relevance to some people. The ability to output the VDB voxel meshes from MODO's ever improving particle system and bring them into LW in the form of an .obj sequence, possibly to use alongside LW features or maybe if they had Octane for LW. I've explained what is possible with macro scripts, but it largely fell on deaf ears.

Anways back to point, I would always have time for a William Vaughan tutorial, his voice, the pace of instruction and level of information revealed is always stellar!! One of the best. :D

Schwyhart
11-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Thanks William

Farhad_azer
11-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Thanks William for this.
Product shot is a very interesting subject and perhaps bread and butter for freelancers. Plz make more notes and tutorials in your next "goodies to come" if possible.

Hip
11-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Please, somebody create new lessons for beginners in rendering, setting up materials and basic animation in LightWave 2015!

RPSchmidt
11-15-2017, 08:43 PM
Robert

Was that in response to my question?

I only know Mr. Vaughn from his tutorials, and when I read that he was no longer using LW, I thought it was a real loss.

When I saw this post, I thought perhaps someone else was just exaggerating to support their argument. I just honestly wanted to know.

I don't care who uses what or for what reasons. I use Lightwave, and people like Mr. Vaughn who have shared their knowledge are part of the reason why I know what I know today.

So I really just wanted to know if he was still working in LW, because that might mean more tutorials in the future.