PDA

View Full Version : Have i been under a rock?

netstile123
01-28-2017, 09:31 PM
Pulled out lightwave tonight . Has been some time and looked for updates and no updates? Also tried GO Z with Z brush and really has issues with 2015. Why is this ? I try the same model with 11.6 and no issues....

jasonwestmas
01-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Nope you're right, no updates. GoZ is buggy, yes. LW3DG is rewriting key components in lightwave ATM.

prometheus
01-29-2017, 09:46 AM
There you go, one of the incitaments Ivé been ranting about, LW team..get to work with a decent sculpting tool Inside of Lightwave, follow the leads of maya, houdini, cinema4d, modo, blender etc..etc...or stay still.

erikals
02-04-2017, 03:44 PM
since LightWave Next hit a big bump, hopefully, since it has taken so long, it will have additional Layout-Modeler features or such.

not impossible...

they did some great things with Chrono, no reason for them not to merge it into Layout.

jwiede
02-04-2017, 05:02 PM
they did some great things with Chrono, no reason for them not to merge it into Layout.

The author (Ikeda) no longer working there seems like a pretty compelling reason, esp. given LW prior history w.r.t. improving "disowned" code (IKB, Relativity, pfx/HV's, etc.).

Exclaim
02-04-2017, 05:02 PM
There you go, one of the incitaments Ivé been ranting about, LW team..get to work with a decent sculpting tool Inside of Lightwave, follow the leads of maya, houdini, cinema4d, modo, blender etc..etc...or stay still.
With the exception of mudbox in Maya, all those sculpting solutions are garbage. Lightwave just needs to clean up their act with GoZ.

Julez4001
02-04-2017, 05:56 PM
Zbrush is the way (and then there is 3D COAT). Please do not waste time on sculpting in LW.

prometheus
02-05-2017, 06:57 AM
since LightWave Next hit a big bump, hopefully, since it has taken so long, it will have additional Layout-Modeler features or such.

not impossible...

I agree completly..that is the way of the future (not qouting leonardo di caprio in the Aviatkor)
wouldnīt really have bought in to chronosculpt, got it with the special deal, I still just have tested it briefly..since it doesnīt work inside of lightwave partly.

With the exception of mudbox in Maya, all those sculpting solutions are garbage. Lightwave just needs to clean up their act with GoZ.

disagree completly, blender does indeed have a valuable sculpting tool, not un par with zbrush or mudbox, but I would pay for the blender sculpting features inside of lightwave..with at least the same performance or better.

Zbrush is the way (and then there is 3D COAT). Please do not waste time on sculpting in LW.
You do not waste time on sculpting in lightwave, nor do I think the lw team does it either.

there are some threads about goz not working, and you can Never...I say Never sculpt in scene context in zbrush, you got to do that in lightwave, you miss scene aspects thay you may need when sculpting..simply put.

I am 100% certain sculpting tools in layout will come, itīs just a matter of time, so why not start walking the road today than tomorrow, and get there earlier rather than becoming even further away from the other apps.

erikals
02-05-2017, 07:17 AM
LW sculpting might not be Pri1, but it is definitely needed.

also, time to catch up with Blender.

Exclaim
02-05-2017, 09:54 AM
I'm sorry I just don't see it. Blender allows sculpting, but the superior sculpting tool is Zbrush. Zbrush is a whole different animal, and Lightwave would become sluggish trying to emulate Blender. LW brush is there for little things, but if you're going to sculpt, why not just use Zbrush?

erikals
02-05-2017, 10:05 AM
tweaks. many organic models needs tweaking.

for now 3rd Powers is quite good. we wouldn't need much more than that >integrated into LW.
(yes i did buy them, but i shouldn't have had to)

Blender3D Sculpt > Yes
LightWave Sculpt > No

Blender3D Lattice > Yes
LightWave Lattice > No

Blender3D BendyBones > Yes
LightWave BendyBones > No (though 'doable')

Blender3D Realtime Tools > Yes
LightWave Realtime Tools > No

...i could go on...
..................................and on.... and....

you get the idea. LightWave is faaar behind.

prometheus
02-05-2017, 10:23 AM
I'm sorry I just don't see it. Blender allows sculpting, but the superior sculpting tool is Zbrush. Zbrush is a whole different animal, and Lightwave would become sluggish trying to emulate Blender. LW brush is there for little things, but if you're going to sculpt, why not just use Zbrush?

Depends on what your goal is, if you aim to sculpt in high detail wrinkles and characters, you are better of to work with zbrush ..since that can handle that and you are not bound to scene context sculpting with such focused object.
If you want to sculpt rocks, cliffs, adjust near other scene items, get full realtime interaction feedback with lights and shadows in the scene...you just canīt work with zbrush in such manner, and everything else would be approximated sculpt work which may need import to lightwave go back and adjust, not good enough go back to zbrush and do it again..over and over because you do not have that scene context editing.

I would really like to have simply sculpt manipulation ..or at least the blender level in lightwave for adjusting mountains then applying lightwave procedural textures on top, sculpt in a road next to tree areas and much much more, you can not use lightwave fractals ..only zbrush fractals or imported bitmap textures, so itīs also a question on taste and what options you would like to have as for detailing the displacements.

also, it comes at additional cost, and additional pain if the I/O bridge isnīt working, but mainly the above said is why I would say no to zbrush to dominate the future of lightwave options of sculpting.
Zbrush as an additional tool for your high res figures.. is a completly different thing.
itīs not impossible...in fact it may be a sort of standard to use zbrush for asset content like sculpting rocks ..Then move it to lightwave, but it is still a different thing and doesnīt give you the options that would be possible with a decent sculpt tool directly in lighwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYKvGgMiYFY

erikals
02-05-2017, 10:39 AM
let me just add this though, i believe everyone in the LW3D Group will pull LightWave in the right direction.

LightWave's challenges was seen a mile away, but a U turn was impossible.

Development takes time, especially a part-rewrite.

hrgiger
02-07-2017, 05:21 AM
Sculpting tools should be a part of any modern modeling app. Not even for a complete sculpting workflow like zbrush but even just having things like a move, smoothing or pinch brush is helpful in the modeling process.

jasonwestmas
02-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Sculpting tools should be a part of any modern modeling app. Not even for a complete sculpting workflow like zbrush but even just having things like a move, smoothing or pinch brush is helpful in the modeling process.

oh yeah, I use sculpting brushes to do simple sub-D mesh edits all the time, very handy. Sometimes we just need a clean simple shape and that is where Sub-D cages fit the bill.

Granted the Zmodeler tool is pretty cool for creating cages but I would rather set up a large scene in a more "traditional" camera setup and model to camera that way. . .in your rendering package.

Norka
02-07-2017, 08:47 AM
I haven't read all the above, because I am quite busy lately, and I haven't thought this through very much at all, but it seems to me that with the new [x] Use Texture stuff in Modeler, that this lays the foundation for LW3DG to implement a sculpting brush. Would it not be a matter of Modeler just using a temp image (background/dynamic) that modifies geo on the fly, whilst painting?.. Just thinking out loud... I dunno... I may have been suggesting the exact same thing in the 3RDPwrs thread a ways back.. I can't remember.. Time to get another cup-a-joe...

prometheus
02-07-2017, 01:07 PM
I haven't read all the above, because I am quite busy lately, and I haven't thought this through very much at all, but it seems to me that with the new [x] Use Texture stuff in Modeler, that this lays the foundation for LW3DG to implement a sculpting brush. Would it not be a matter of Modeler just using a temp image (background/dynamic) that modifies geo on the fly, whilst painting?.. Just thinking out loud... I dunno... I may have been suggesting the exact same thing in the 3RDPwrs thread a ways back.. I can't remember.. Time to get another cup-a-joe...

I donīt think so, I think the drag texture falloff option was more a bit of a hack..or just improved/expanded features based on the old texture pointmap in modeler
map/color/textured pointmap ..and you can from there displace with procedurals.

I posted a clip before on this thread with the texture falloff, and I have some more on my channel about the texture falloff to sort of drag sculpt with procedurals, but after a while I decided not to work with it much more, why?
it can not deal with normal displacement when using the drag with falloff texture, that is essential...it doesnīt really work well with objects reaching 60-80000 polys, and of course, you can not really brush sculpt..just drag or scale ...scaling with texture fallof sort of getīs a bit closer to normal displacement ..but itīs really not and quite different, the point normal tool which moves point at normal direction..well that doesnīt have this falloff texture option, so it is poorly implemented in my opinion.

So I sort of gave up working with that new feature tool, and I donīt believe it would be ntended to be some sort of foundation of a futures sculpting tool.

What I use instead?
well I just simply just use blender which is quite nice, especially the dynatopo detail while sculpting..as such I can set pixel detail and increase poly detail while using the snake brush, which means the underlying geometry doesnīt get uggly due to stretching or to low resolution, and if I turn of the strength of the standard sculpting brush, but use the dynatopo active, it will increase or decrease poly detail where ever I brush on without changing the form of the objects, just painting in higher res or lower the res with invert brush.

blender can handle much higher geometry in sculpting mode compared to lightwaves modeler...blender is in no way un par with zbrush in terms of how much detail and polyīs it can handle, but it is quite adequate for many things, especially for rocks anyway or landscape..so I would be satisfied if the lighwave team could match blender..but for the drag texture falloff, not really that useful or powerful, and I am most certain that will not be the base for any future sculpting.

MichaelT
02-07-2017, 03:53 PM
tweaks. many organic models needs tweaking.

for now 3rd Powers is quite good. we wouldn't need much more than that >integrated into LW.
(yes i did buy them, but i shouldn't have had to)

Blender3D Sculpt > Yes
LightWave Sculpt > No

Blender3D Lattice > Yes
LightWave Lattice > No

Blender3D BendyBones > Yes
LightWave BendyBones > No (though 'doable')

Blender3D Realtime Tools > Yes
LightWave Realtime Tools > No

...i could go on...
..................................and on.... and....

you get the idea. LightWave is faaar behind.

Keep going :) I'd really like to see that list of things. Honestly, I would.
Much because I'm having fun with the SDK at the moment, would be fun to see if I can do something people need (no promises)
I already made a camera lattice thing, similar to the one 3rd Powers just released. Not as good perhaps, but I got it working all right.

erikals
02-07-2017, 04:11 PM
well, there is Rounder as well, that needs a heavy update, that is in Modeler though,
and i believe Modeler is written in C and Layout is C++, so not sure if that would be challenging?

also got a Looong Modeler list here :)
http://forums.newtek.com/archive/index.php/t-139159

(looking at it now, holy-cammoly that list is long...)

Realtime array is sorely needed both in Modeler and Layout
and Workplanes. (i think LWcad has both RT array and workplanes)

I already made a camera lattice thing, similar to the one 3rd Powers just released. Not as good perhaps, but I got it working all right.
looks nice, the more LW plugins the merrier i say   :)

jwiede
02-07-2017, 05:09 PM
well, there is Rounder as well, that needs a heavy update, that is in Modeler though,

The whole notion of distinct, separate "Rounder", "Bevel", "Chamfer", "Fillet", etc. tools is kind of broken, they're all based on highly-similar geometry operations, with just varying levels of details in the resulting profiles. Coalescing, and just adding "profile support" (as in MODO) to whatever "Bevel/Extrude"-type tool replaces all of them is a much better way to generally handle that task/need.

and i believe Modeler is written in C and Layout is C++, so not sure if that would be challenging?

Generally, migrating C code to use in C++-based environments is fairly easy. Migrating the other direction tends to be more complicated (when the C++ relies on OO constructs, anyway).

Realtime array is sorely needed both in Modeler and Layout
and Workplanes. (i think LWcad has both RT array and workplanes)

W.r.t. workplanes, that's correct, LWCAD's UCS already provides a form of arbitrary workplane capability (among other things).

MichaelT
02-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Hmm, well. If I do make some tools. I probably won't leave something useful that I could make myself out, just because it exists elsewhere (not saying that is what you meant. But I just wanted to point that out) But I will leave the camera thing for now.. I think I might have come across something interesting while I was digging around. I'll happily share information about it, if it works out as I hope.

erikals
02-07-2017, 06:26 PM
with regards to creating already made tools, there's always differences. also with LWcad for example, one can't buy only a few tools.
(at least for now, i saw LWcad Lite was released for other apps though)

Generally, migrating C code to use in C++-based environments is fairly easy. Migrating the other direction tends to be more complicated (when the C++ relies on OO constructs, anyway).
thank you, good info.   :)

MichaelT
02-07-2017, 07:33 PM
with regards to creating already made tools, there's always differences. also with LWcad for example, one can't buy only a few tools.
(at least for now, i saw LWcad Lite was released for other apps though)

thank you, good info.   :)

That is *If* I decide to sell anything. I'll see if it comes to that. Depends on what I am creating. Right now I am like a kid in a toy store, touching everything :)

achilles
02-08-2017, 12:46 AM
Hallo to you all. I think LW need several improvements, like all the other softwares in this world, and i complain the lack of informations by NT, but think that this software isn't so bad like someone here says. It has a lot of great things for its price compared to other soft that cost thousands of $. Its interface is quite polished compared to soft with millions of menues, windows etc. that can create confusion when using them. I hope NT will improve LW, modernizes its interface and so on, but still giving us a mid-low cost piece of software with everything for pro-sumer users as the top and far more expensive programs are very difficult or impossible to beat.
I hope NT will as soon as possible tell us what's happening, otherwise users will look for something else and i'm not happy to do this. Sorry for my poor english and bye. Achille

gamedesign1
02-10-2017, 04:23 AM
Its interesting how we all like different things, because I love the LW interface and how clean and tidy it is.

prometheus
02-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Its interesting how we all like different things, because I love the LW interface and how clean and tidy it is.

Indeed we do like different things, but maybe also almost the same thing..if it can be polished, I to like how clean and tidy the Lw iterface is, but it still lacks UI customisation that could boost it to another level as well, if One could just only adjust color and text and possible some tone gradient/shadow as we can in blender...then the UI would look much more modern and slick, while retaining the original template.
And if we simply could dock and collapse expand popup windows, that would be even better...all this requires we are allowed to change the UI colors etc in realtime as in blender without closing and restart as it is now.

Though I would suspect that the old xpanels will eventually be throwned out of the window, and replaced with cs ui I suppose, currently some things with the xpanels are annoying me quite a lot, especially working with dpont sunsky which sometimes doesnīt allow you to adjust some settings because it is locked/hidden due to the xpanels docking failure every now and then, I have to close the popup menu and open the window once again to get it working right.

gamedesign1
02-10-2017, 03:42 PM
Indeed we do like different things, but maybe also almost the same thing..if it can be polished, I to like how clean and tidy the Lw iterface is, but it still lacks UI customisation that could boost it to another level as well, if One could just only adjust color and text and possible some tone gradient/shadow as we can in blender...then the UI would look much more modern and slick, while retaining the original template.
And if we simply could dock and collapse expand popup windows, that would be even better...all this requires we are allowed to change the UI colors etc in realtime as in blender without closing and restart as it is now.

Though I would suspect that the old xpanels will eventually be throwned out of the window, and replaced with cs ui I suppose, currently some things with the xpanels are annoying me quite a lot, especially working with dpont sunsky which sometimes doesnīt allow you to adjust some settings because it is locked/hidden due to the xpanels docking failure every now and then, I have to close the popup menu and open the window once again to get it working right.

I am with you on wanting a more customizable UI. Allowing to scroll within a panel would be nice too :) I wonder whereabouts on the to do list the UI is.

prometheus
02-11-2017, 05:49 AM
I am with you on wanting a more customizable UI. Allowing to scroll within a panel would be nice too :) I wonder whereabouts on the to do list the UI is.

Only the lw team knows about the to do list in UI, and agreed ...scrolling within a panel would be needed too.
The thing is, if they manage to pull up the new functionality within xpanel (highly doubtful) or if they implement cs UI, but with the main UI philosophy intact, no one would ever feel alienated or awkward about it (unless coming from another background of UIīs)

Itīs main thing is the functionality of the panels, docking, full size adjusting, collapse and expand and scroll...those are the main things I think needs adressed alongside with a UI that can change colors on the fly without closing, and also expand on what the UI color customization can control.

I love the way I can change the UI colors of blender, down to wireframe color with no limits in color and with direct feedback, though I hate how the blender UI is organized, so lightwave and blender is the opposite of eachother when it comes to theUI, whatīs good in blender is poor in lightwave, and vice versa....which is a bit funny or tragic depending on how you cope with it :)

gamedesign1
02-11-2017, 05:06 PM
Only the lw team knows about the to do list in UI, and agreed ...scrolling within a panel would be needed too.
The thing is, if they manage to pull up the new functionality within xpanel (highly doubtful) or if they implement cs UI, but with the main UI philosophy intact, no one would ever feel alienated or awkward about it (unless coming from another background of UIīs)

Itīs main thing is the functionality of the panels, docking, full size adjusting, collapse and expand and scroll...those are the main things I think needs adressed alongside with a UI that can change colors on the fly without closing, and also expand on what the UI color customization can control.

I love the way I can change the UI colors of blender, down to wireframe color with no limits in color and with direct feedback, though I hate how the blender UI is organized, so lightwave and blender is the opposite of eachother when it comes to theUI, whatīs good in blender is poor in lightwave, and vice versa....which is a bit funny or tragic depending on how you cope with it :)

yeah they really need to replace the UI with something more customizable, but I really hope they don't change the design too much. I know they probably aren't doing that on this release though, but it would be nice.

gar26lw
02-12-2017, 04:43 PM
is this goZ issue going to be fixed? LW grp - could we get a fix for that one thing while we wait?

jwiede
02-13-2017, 04:38 PM
is this goZ issue going to be fixed? LW grp - could we get a fix for that one thing while we wait?

Anything that involves communication, sorting out protocols, and so forth with a different company (Pixologic, in this case) generally isn't a "quick" fix.

rustythe1
02-13-2017, 04:46 PM

what is the issue? I have been using goz fine in 2015.3?

lwaddict
03-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Lightwave PDF magazine... last release 2014.
Lightwave 3d software... current title "2015".
T-Shirts with design from Lightwave 10 or possibly 11...

This used to be the stuff.
We had books all over the shelves, the internet, videos and tutorials everywhere...
Now?
What happened?

erikals
03-16-2017, 05:11 PM
what happened?

ReWrite happened!   :king:

and books, i seem to recall that name. can't remember what it is.   :)

Julez4001
03-17-2017, 12:06 AM
Lightwave PDF magazine... last release 2014.
Lightwave 3d software... current title "2015".
T-Shirts with design from Lightwave 10 or possibly 11...

This used to be the stuff.
We had books all over the shelves, the internet, videos and tutorials everywhere...
Now?
What happened?

Lightwave newsletter, LW Blog, Lightwave Profile reviews, Youtube videos, and Liberty 3D

Books, I can't help yu there. My last Maya book was Character Animation Cheats and it was 2014-2015.

If you can read/translate japanese, they have 5 new training videos on their new "kits"

jeric_synergy
03-17-2017, 09:38 AM
If you can read/translate japanese, they have 5 new training videos on their new "kits"
??? What's this?