PDA

View Full Version : Still: photoreal trumpet attempt

otacon
12-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Im going for photoreal on this one, any comments or suggestions would be nice!

Bliz
12-16-2003, 06:06 PM
Pretty good but there is noticeble faceting on the mouthpiece.

It might need a few scratches and dents to sell the photorealism better.

Imatk
12-16-2003, 06:56 PM
There is some detail missing in the model to make it truly photoreal.

The different pipes look like they just go straight into each other in the mesh, rather than being blended together like they should be.

Also the mouthpiece, aside from being faceted lacks detail.

Check this trumpet out:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43100&highlight=trumpet

That should give you a good idea of what subtle details you'll need to make it truly photoreal.

Aside from that I think it's a good start :)

Hervé
12-17-2003, 12:30 AM
Cool modeling.... but your reflections are not good.... I am not sure you could achieve the XSI results with the simplistic LW reflections alone.... might check for HyperSmooth from 3D evasion...

Imatk is right... you need more details.... bump maps...?

otacon
12-17-2003, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the comments. The mouthpiece never did look right to me either, and the reflections are hard to get to look good....I guess i need to work on it some more. And there is a very slight bump, but the reason i dont have lots of bumps and scratches is because it was supposed to be a new trumpet.

ddho1981
12-17-2003, 02:51 PM
very cool! if it is new, i think it ought to be shinier. mouthpieces are generally silver in color...and it should look like a separate piece...they are inserted into the trumpet and removable. also, some trumpets have a brand engraved into the bell, or somewhere on the trumpet... and/or a serial number down the middle valve. there's a little more variation in material in most trumpets... but all in all, i think you did a great job of the model.

Igu4n4
12-17-2003, 04:52 PM
Hey there,... This might actually be your inspiration for you image, but I'll post it here to illustrate some of the slight differences that you might strive for.

http://www3.famille.ne.jp/%7Ephkimura/patht_g/ptg3.html

One thing he has here is a much cleaner finish. You have a slight bump to your metal which is diffusing your reflections, and causing a little bit of the ??? in why your surfacing isn't working as well as it could. Secondly, he has used a dual tone in his metal selections which help emphasize different elements of the trumpet, and help lead the eye around.

While there is still room to improve in the above posted image, (and they are addressed by the other community members here), try tackling these two issues in your image and you will find some improvement in your quest for realism.

Take Care..

Steve.

http://www.iguana-den.com

riki
12-17-2003, 09:54 PM
It looks a bit fuzzy around the edges, is that jpg compression or the render??

themaxx
12-17-2003, 10:51 PM
looks good. nice work.

otacon
12-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Igu4n4, yea that was the inspiration for my pic. I might try hdri, anyone have a good tutorial, im not real sure how to set it up. I think the edges are fuzzy because i had reflection burring on a tad.

digitalimagery
12-19-2003, 07:07 AM
First off I'm new to LightWave but not to 3D (15 years with EI - Opps can I say that)? The modeling is done well. There lacks the luster a shiney object like brass has. Actually a hint of green will make your brass a bit more "brassy." Just enough to "feel" the green, if you can actually "see" it there's too much. I can't tell if the buttons have pearl on the tips but trumpet buttons have pearl caps so you may want to adjust the camera just enough to see that. Also The stems to trumpet buttons are silver as is the mouth piece which is a seperate piece that slips in to the main part of the instrument (which you may or may not have modeled _hard to tell). Lastly (IMHO) there are little green (sometimes red) felt washers (for the lack of a better term) or pads that sit where the button touches the cylinder when one is depressed, it acts as a pad, these are missing and it's these little details that make something look real as opossed to computer generated. Overall nice job, with a few tweaks this will really shine (get it)?

sidetrak
12-29-2003, 02:04 PM
I agree with digitalimagery on this one, being a trumpet player I have yet to see a brass mouth piece , but on the felt thing i don't think that you can even see the felt from this angle so there isnt much room to critique on that, but if you do have the "washers" or are going to add them use a color that looks best with the brass the felt doesn't always have to be red or green for example mine is blue...

overall, good job

~

Brett H.
12-31-2003, 02:23 PM
Renders like this need a good contrasty reflection map. Find one, it'll increase your realism quite a bit (along with the other crits you've heard here). I would not use any reflection blurring on this, a highly polished trumpet is almost like a mirror, plus the render hit isn't worth it.

Brett

bill0287
01-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by sidetrak
I agree with digitalimagery on this one, being a trumpet player I have yet to see a brass mouth piece , but on the felt thing i don't think that you can even see the felt from this angle so there isnt much room to critique on that, but if you do have the "washers" or are going to add them use a color that looks best with the brass the felt doesn't always have to be red or green for example mine is blue...

overall, good job

~

For whatever it's worth, I also was a trumpet player and brass mouthpieces do exist - I have one.