PDA

View Full Version : John Hurt, passed away

erikals
01-28-2017, 01:32 AM
John Hurt, passed away at 77
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/28/sir-john-hurt-legendary-british-actor-dies-aged-77-battle-pancreatic

http://images.radiotimes.com/uploads/images/original/83177.jpg

prometheus
01-28-2017, 05:27 AM
John Hurt, passed away at 77
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/28/sir-john-hurt-legendary-british-actor-dies-aged-77-battle-pancreatic

http://images.radiotimes.com/uploads/images/original/83177.jpg

Oh..sad, he was a special and great actor...I hope he had a rich life.

prometheus
01-28-2017, 06:07 AM
a lot of his roles involved characters ended up dead in many weird ways, I recall the role of Hadden in contact, where in fact the character had cancer..which John himself unfortunatly had as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et4sMJP9FmM

djwaterman
01-28-2017, 06:42 AM
Yeah, I was going to post on this as well, although a few days earlier I was genuinely effected and saddened when we lost this one.

Norka
01-28-2017, 06:43 AM
Quite sad. I am as big an Alien fan as you are likely to find. Kane will be missed.

So as it turns out -- if you can believe it -- John Hurt is the first human from Alien to pass away, he was the youngest male in the cast, and the other males were born in the 1920s and 1930s.

I haven't fired up my Alien blu-ray on my 4k tv yet. Tonight I watch Alien. Maybe for the sixtieth time... I dunno. Who's counting? And I think I am going to need to see 1984 again soon. For a couple reasons.

" I remember some... horrible dream about... smothering? I don't know... Anyway, where are we?"
~Kane

JohnMarchant
01-28-2017, 07:46 AM
Much as i loved Alien, Contact and a few others. John Hurts Best films (IMO), were The Elephant Man, Midnight Express and 1984.

However he had many other films which were very good.

KurtF
01-28-2017, 11:17 AM
The fact that we enjoyed films he was in, in a variety of genres, just shows how amazing and varied his career was. A great character actor. He was marvelous as Olivander, the wand expert.

daforum
01-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Much as i loved Alien, Contact and a few others. John Hurts Best films (IMO), were The Elephant Man, Midnight Express and 1984.

However he had many other films which were very good.

+1
and I liked him in 10 Rillington Place too.
R.I.P. John Hurt

Norka
01-31-2017, 06:07 PM
I don't mean to be morbid or disrespectful in any way (gawd knows I love Alien, and every last cast member), but it would be freakin' crazy if the cast of Alien ended up passing away in the order they did in the film.. and Ripley does indeed end up "Last Survivor of the Nostromo...". I'm sure I'm not the first or last to suggest this possible outcome (I don't visit the types of sites that would be discussing this, or do any social bs). I was just looking at their ages again on IMDB, and I gotta tell ya, it could happen just like that...

MichaelT
02-01-2017, 12:16 AM
R.I.P Thank you for all the great work.

He always brought a special presence to his characters, so I will miss seeing him in the future.

prometheus
02-01-2017, 12:31 PM
I don't mean to be morbid or disrespectful in any way (gawd knows I love Alien, and every last cast member), but it would be freakin' crazy if the cast of Alien ended up passing away in the order they did in the film.. and Ripley does indeed end up "Last Survivor of the Nostromo...". I'm sure I'm not the first or last to suggest this possible outcome (I don't visit the types of sites that would be discussing this, or do any social bs). I was just looking at their ages again on IMDB, and I gotta tell ya, it could happen just like that...

well..not morbid perhaps, unless you want it to happen maybe, but the prospect for it to happen in that order is probably highly unlikely, and who would really bother tracking it?..it may take a long time before all are gone, and even Oneself might be gone before that, a difference if there already was quite a few of them passed away in that order, then it would certainly come in to focus of crazy interesting stories.

- - - Updated - - -

R.I.P Thank you for all the great work.

He always brought a special presence to his characters, so I will miss seeing him in the future.

Yup...He also had a very special voice.

Signal to Noise
02-01-2017, 03:05 PM

Yup...He also had a very special voice.

We had just started watching the first season of "The Adventures of Merlin" which was a BBC series from many years ago. John hurt provides the voice for the excellently (for its time) CGI'd dragon. John Hurt was a very versatile actor. I agree with other statement of his work in Alien (my #1 fave movie/series to date), Contact, Midnight Express, V for Vendetta, Snowpiercer, and 1984. Also let's not forget his appearance in the classic video game Privateer 2 alongside Clive Owen.

RIP, good sir!

Sculley
02-04-2017, 04:37 PM
This was very sad news :( He lives just up the road and often met him walking along the beach and pottering in and out of shops here in Norfolk... Such as shame. He was genuinely one of the kindest and true gentlemen. His history of torment through his life really moulded him in to one of the most respected. He gave so much of his time supporting people.

He will be missed.