PDA

View Full Version : Controling a folding mesh (cloth, softbodie, or bullet) with multiples points

LaBeTize
01-26-2017, 04:23 PM
Does anyone know a good way to fold many times a cloth surface?
For the moment I can rip it and fold it once but i need to fold it two times more from other points at least.
I am using a cloth surface and collisions and as i use a "fix" weighmap i cannot change of directing point.

MonroePoteet
01-27-2017, 11:46 AM
You might save the once-folded object using Save Transformed Object, then in Modeler, assign the new "Fixed" weightmap for the second fold. In Layout, instantly Dissolve the once-folded object to the second-fold object. Then, use the same technique for subsequent folds.

Or, set up multiple weightmaps on the original object, but only use the succeeding weightmaps for each subsequent fold, still using the Save Transformed and the instant Dissolve.

mTp

Greenlaw
01-28-2017, 07:55 PM
Hmm...that looks tricky.

Long ago, I used a plugin called NLM to do origami style folding. This plug-in allowed you to set up a bunch of morph targets to work in sequence, so you could control the timing with a single envelope. Off the top of my head, I guess you can do that now with with Cycler in Morph Mixer? (Sorry, don't have exact steps--it's been a couple of years since I've had to do anything like this.)

You could try sculpting the stages to use as morphs in another program like 3DC or ZBrush. Or in Modeler if you have 3rd Power's LightWave Brush plugin.

I guess you could try 'sculpting' the folding effect using invisible objects in Bullet. I've had some luck with that for entirely different animations. I think that might be possible but, as I said, this looks tricky. I think this approach could take quite a lot of trial and error.

The non-linear morph method will take a lot of work too but should be more predictable.