PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Stepping with Hypervoxels?

raw-m
01-22-2017, 01:14 PM
I can't see a way to avoid the stepping seen in these Hypervoxels. You can see the particles are closely packed together on the right-hand side of the screen, so I was expecting to get a nice smooth tail-off. Anyone know what it could be?

bazsa73
01-22-2017, 01:58 PM
If Age is integer perhaps the sampling happens at discreet steps, just guessing. Must be some interpolation issue.

raw-m
01-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Ah! I see what is happening but don't know a way round it. This setup is a child set up using Parent-Emitter - so a stream of particles are generated behind a parent particle. If the Birth Rate is set to 40/frm, 40 particles are being born each frame, so setting the Hypervoxels to Particle Age means the first 40 frames are all the same size which, going down the chain, means it'll give me a stepped appearance.

So it looks like I need something other than Particle Age. Something like an ID, from the first to last particle in each stream, if that makes sense...?

raw-m
01-22-2017, 02:44 PM
I think the answer might be nodal, but not quite sure how.... Particle Info is set to the Parent emitter (white spheres), so hoping the Distance will do what I'm after but it's not quite right....

jwiede
01-22-2017, 07:35 PM
I think you may want "relative age" driving the gradient instead of "particle age", to avoid the stepping in question. I vaguely recall sub-frame evaluation may also play a part.

If you search on "particle trails" in the forums, you can find past attempts at similar tasks.

raw-m
01-23-2017, 02:08 AM
Cheers jwiede, helps when you get the correct search term! I'll check it out. Unfortunately, relative and particle age suffer from the same thing here. If the birth rate is set to 40 a frame then they are all born on the same frame, meaning they are the same age therefore given the same size.

There's difinetly a nodal solution but not knowing what does what means a lot of stabbing around in the dark! If anyone can help it would be much appreciated!

prometheus
01-23-2017, 12:01 PM
not sure if it helps..
Can you use generate per second?
and also...check the hv blending and reduce blending scale (see images)..might improve it a bit, your blending is at 100% ..which may not be optimal.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135701&d=1485198016

raw-m
01-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Thanks, that's looks good, I'll definitely try that in the morning. My trail is moving quite fast which is why I've densely packed the particles together. Generating 1 per sec would leave large spaces between particles?

prometheus
01-23-2017, 01:38 PM
Thanks, that's looks good, I'll definitely try that in the morning. My trail is moving quite fast which is why I've densely packed the particles together. Generating 1 per sec would leave large spaces between particles?

Hard to tell, depends on how many per seconds I guess, but keep generate by frame for a starter and check the blend scale and see if reducing that will help.