PDA

View Full Version : FBX export: how extensive?

jeric_synergy
01-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Here's a screenie of what C4D can FBX import:

My question is: how much of this can LightWave 3d actually export?

Ztreem
01-21-2017, 09:11 PM
C4D can import all that but not the pivot position of objects in fbx. So if you build a hierachy in LW with pivot positions other than world origin it will not transfer over to C4D as it doesn't read that data. I think LW can export most of the things but not vertex normals and I don't think it export curves.

bobakabob
01-31-2017, 02:34 PM
Not sure about C4D but.... FBX is a 1 click import / export godsend if you're working between Maya and Lightwave as in CA your morphs and texture maps carry over directly. It's also greatly speeded up workflow between Zbrush and Lightwave.

tyrot
02-01-2017, 07:59 AM
our daily work relies on fbx export and import ... it works great . some version does not support morph export but so far everything is rock solid ... especially between motionbuilder and lightwave.

Ztreem
02-01-2017, 10:16 AM
I use fbx for models and animations between Unity, C4D & Maya and it has worked perfectly, except when you need Vertex normals from CAD data but then you just use obj instead.

Benjamin385
02-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Does this work well with Unreal 4?

I am asking because the Blender version of the FBX exporter gives weird errors.

Ztreem
02-05-2017, 04:09 AM
Does this work well with Unreal 4?

I am asking because the Blender version of the FBX exporter gives weird errors.

Yes, Blenders fbx support is not the greatest. So it could work much better from other software. I have not used Unreal that much but I have imported some fbx models from LW and it worked ok.

Terence Daniels
02-20-2017, 07:58 AM
Yes, Blenders fbx support is not the greatest. So it could work much better from other software. I have not used Unreal that much but I have imported some fbx models from LW and it worked ok.

I have watched the video from Lino and but the Biped Character Plugin is not working with the Mocap Skeleton in 11.6. What is he doing in the video that I am missing. Am I just needing to dive full on into MB?