PDA

View Full Version : Audio Analyze

cyclopse
01-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Didn't want to pollute the MIDI thread with this question but....

Due to the lack of a MIDI plugin, somebody suggested I use the "Analyze Audio" modifier in the motion graph. So I bounced the entire music session to stems (isolated audio files for each instrument... including each drum) to use to animate a robotic drum set. Here's my issue...

Waveforms are jittery as hell. So how do I have something react just if there IS a sound (instead of bouncing all over hell with the whole waveform)? I want to move a null up when there's sound to a position, and have it rest at 0 with no sound. Any ideas?

cyclopse
01-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Alright, I answered my own question. Rather than be one of those tools that leaves it unanswered for someone else to go down the same road of discovery, I thought I'd publish...

It's pretty easy actually. The answer for how to smooth your audio in lightwave is simple: don't use lightwave. Well, at least not at first.

Here's the steps:

In After Effects, create a new composition, and load your audio into it
Use "Animation > Keyframe Assistant > Convert Audio to Keyframes" (Creates a null object with "left" "right" and "both channel" sliders that are keyframed based on amplitude)
Hold down "shift" and hit "p" (opens the position up to be edited on the new null)
Go "Layer > 3D Layer" (to make the layer a 3D Layer)
Right click on the word "position" and select "separate dimensions"
Pick an axis (x,y, or z... I used z because it was already at "0") to work with (when I say "position" from here out... I mean z-axis of the position)
Hold down "alt" (or "opt" on a mac) and click the stopwatch next to the position parameter (creates an expression for the position of the null)
drag the "@" symbol from the position expression to the "both channels" parameter for the audio's amplitude
Click on the little graph symbol next to the position parameter, and the same graph symbol (larger) at the top of the timeline window
Go "Animation > Keyframe Assistant > Convert Expression to Keyframes"
Smooth and edit the curve all you like (I drew a box around all the data points in the middle of compressed audio and deleted them leaving me with only peaks and troughs)
Rename the null layer to whatever you want it to be called in Lightwave (I named mine "bass drum" because it is a bass drum track)
Go "File > Export > Send selected Layer to LIghtwave 3D"
And there you have it... a null in LW with audio keyframes that you can used as a key driver

If I remember to do it weeks from now when the music video is done (or rather months because this sucker is going to take 2 months to render as far as we can calculate... even with a 120-core farm), I'll post it so you can see the results.

squarewulf
01-17-2017, 06:34 PM
In the graph editor under modifiers select "Audio Channel" then select your audio file. Then you can bake that motion out using rhiggit's animation toolbox and again using animation toolbox you can smooth the curves if necessary.