PDA

View Full Version : A virtual projector with nodes - how ?

Pavlov
01-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Hi all,
i'm trying a native method to put easily interiors into large buildings.
Look at the attachment. I load an interior, and i put a plane or a camera in front of it. Then i put a plane behind glasses in a building (left plane in this image) and i'd like this plane to show what first plane or camera sees (the interior). This way i could populate a facade without having to put real geometry behind it.

PS - No, i dont want to put instances of the interiors because i would have to care about compenetrations and such. i.e. in case of a complex facade i should have to control each instance posizion and scale manually, and it would be not easy in some cases. Putting a plane allows me to "cut" unneeded parts of the interiors, because i will see interiors only where i put planes.

Any idea about the nodeflow to use to get there ?

Best
Paolo

fishhead
01-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Hi Pavlov, would the CCTV Shader not work in this case? in Surface Editor > Shader Tab -> Add Shader --> CCTV
Or if you need it in a bigger scale and possibly use it in a paid project, there is a commercial plugin that is around for a while now:
http://www.euriskostudios.com/es/plugin_pages/vRoom.php
Never really used it myself, still waiting for the project that would pay for it... ;-} But sure looks cool...

Pavlov
01-16-2017, 09:36 AM
Hi,
thanks for the answer. I have Vroom, but it projects images on a virtual box, you have no real 3d item in the room. Vroom is excellent for distant shots, i'm trying a method for mid or close shots.
CCTV seems not to work properly in 2015.3 (i really can't get a projection of what camera sees, just a flat projection like if i was using ortho camera) and anyway it doesnt work in VPR, so again i was looking for something more modern and VPR compatible.

Bye
paolo

fishhead
01-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Ah, okay, I get it now... More like: you need to have parallax going on then, I presume - by passing the windows by with the actual shooting camera, right?
I take it you are not really interested in workaround solutions like prerender the appartments in 2 or 3 layers and clip map them on a set of accordingly offset-layered planes in front of the farthest wall...

Sorry, canīt really help with the nodal approach for this... :-\

Pavlov
01-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Hi,
i also adopted the solution you said - making some clipped planes to simulate the interior, like a 3d book effect :)
But yes, in this case i wanted to loot at a more radical workflow. While i try, i'm also giving CCTV a possibility but somehow, in the case of the picture attached, i really cannot get the left plane to project what a camera put in front of the interior sees. Is CCTV known as broken in 2015.3 ?

Paolo

fishhead
01-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Hmm, works for me, also in VPR... in the left viewport (Camera_FeederStatic, Wireframe Mode) you can see the camera that "feeds" the second one in the right camera viewport (Camera_PassingBy, rendered using VPR) 135647

Pavlov
01-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Hi,
yes i was experimenting right now and with my big surprise, CCTV works in VPR.
Problem is it seems impossible to have the same image projected on multiple polys, if you create them in modeler.
By now it seems you have to clone each plane in layout to have it show same interior. If you create an array in modeler, you'll get a wrong result... unless im missing something (see pic). BTW i didnt manage to change this even trying all sort of combo in parameters.

Paolo

Paolo

fishhead
01-17-2017, 11:00 AM
yes, thats really odd - I had a moment and toyed with it a little: it really appears that you have to have the polygons you want it work on correctly to to be centered around modelers origin.
You can apply a morph to them to displace the vertices to new positions for letting the projection travel with the mesh in layout as needed. Or you can translate it in layout in any way.
Not exactly what you are after I suppose... You could perhaps create an array in modeler - all parts of the array initially centered on x and y - and then activate morph and have it distributed to the positions needed. But I assume that is probably as much trouble as instancing it and then somehow adjusting it in layout...
Just out of curiosity: how much windows do you need: hundreds? More?

Pavlov
01-19-2017, 05:34 AM
Hi,
morph idea sounds smart :) But yes, too much hassle. I'm trying to code something fast and easy to enrich facades.
Numer is not defined, but yes, it may be 100 or even more, easily.

Best
paolo

Medi8or
01-25-2017, 03:11 PM
Check out this thread (link) (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?142087-i-dream-of-nodes-well-nightmare-really), and see if it's something like what you want...

jwiede
01-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Hi,
yes i was experimenting right now and with my big surprise, CCTV works in VPR.
Problem is it seems impossible to have the same image projected on multiple polys, if you create them in modeler.
By now it seems you have to clone each plane in layout to have it show same interior. If you create an array in modeler, you'll get a wrong result... unless im missing something (see pic). BTW i didnt manage to change this even trying all sort of combo in parameters.

Paolo, I had to solve a similar problem recently (different app, but still), and the way I solved it was to render an (x)x(y) array of interiors (as if view frustum was just inside exterior wall), and then use texture coordinates to control which window region represented which region of the reference shader (akin to CCTV) "texture". Doing it that way I was also able to spread rooms "across" multiple windows vertically and horizontally as needed. You need to keep any eye on relative scale and maintaining aspect ratio, but it worked pretty well for that specific case (where I needed parallax with in-room objects looking in from outside).

Maybe something like that can work for you? Just a thought, worked pretty well for my needs, but I've never tried doing so with CCTV.

(edit)
P.S. The same trick can work in reverse (looking outside) for having a huge monster walk past the windows of a room viewed from inside, if needed. ;D

Pavlov
02-06-2017, 07:58 AM
Medi8or - thanks for the headup, gonna dig it !
Jwiede - thanks for the tips, but i'm not able to translate it into a nodal workflow... i'm a noob at vectors :(
Let's see if i can get something useful from the other thread.

Best
Paolo